1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BJ Raji scouting report- NFLDC

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Jan 6, 2009.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
  2. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    A team will still jump on him. He'll be picked by the mid-first round.

Raji just jumps out on tape. What they say about his strengths is very true and he's very consistent. He's a baller. He'll be very good at the next level.

3. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    No offense, Jim, but this "scouting report" perfectly illustrates why I don't even bother with Scott Wright's site: Here we have just about every red flag a DT can possibly draw (poor work-ethic, inconsistent motor, maturity issues, rather questionable intelligence, less than ideal height) and Wright gives him ... a first round grade. Unfortunately, Wright is way more concerned about being right than he's concerned about being accurate or scouting honestly. Truth to be told, I wouldn't be surprised if Wright didn't even bother to watch film and just compiled information from other sites adding his assessment of where the guy will eventually get drafted.

alen1, Conuficus and Boomer like this.
  4. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I would have to question your tape selection, then. Raji doesn't jump out against a single lesser opponent - he just takes the day off. The truth of the matter is that Raji is anything but consistent. He's lazy and he isn't showing up unless there's something in it for him. He's exactly the kind of guy I'd never give a big paycheck to because there's a good chance you'd never see him again until his contract year is up.

5. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    BC vs Wake Forest. He dominated.

6. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

That's why I said that he only showed up against good competition. Watch just about any BC game against inferior competition and Raji is an absolute no-show.

7. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I'm with Jochen on this. One game he looks like Kevin Williams, next week he looks like Vanessa Williams.

8. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Suit yourselves. No doubt in my mind he'll be very good in the NFL agianst good competition every week btw.

9. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

So you cite one game in which he showed up, ignore the others in which he didn't and come to the conclusion that he will play like that each and every week when there's ample evidence that he won't? I mean, be my guest, whatever makes you happy, man, but I don't find that line of reasoning particularly convincing.

10. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I like Wright, but I'm not crazy about him. I go by what I see, but I only see so much. Raji has talent, but I can think of quite a few players who I would rather draft at #26 over him, including Jerry. I'd rather take Brace in the 4th or 5th and plug vital holes with earlier picks. I'd be shocked if Miami drafted him #1. I'm intrigued by Britton, but that's in danger of being a push/pull over Carey. I do like Unger after seeing him play, and I'd like interior OL/WR with 2of the 1st 3 picks, then pick of the litter at OLB/S/NT.

11. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    The only thing about Wright is he can be contradictory with his asessments. That can be troubling.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have said before I don't like Raji's hand use. His can be very mechanical and slow with his hands, relying on size, body lean to get the job done. He doesn't keep stronger players off his chest, and again his use of hands shows up.

He has the ability, but he doesn't bring it.

12. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    The issue I'm having with Wright (and frankly I consider him to be one of the worst popular draftnicks out there because of this) is that he's just flowing with the tide. You don't scout a player as immature, inconsistent, lazy, too small and dumb as a doorknob and then grade him as a first rounder. What Wright does is giving you the current buzz about a player, not a honest report. I've been following the draft for years now and I've yet to see Wright being honest about a single prospect. If you stand to get drafted in round 1, he'll grade you as a first round pick. He's dealing in premature hindsight, essentially.

/end rant

bluegrassbubba likes this.
  13. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I will say this- I posted another mock a couple of days ago- NFL Draft Dog. Crappy name that it is, I thought that his mock was better and far more interesting than Wright's. Wright raves about Raji as the best pure NT in the draft- I don't see it- I see a Sapp/Boogar McFarland type undertackle with great quicks, but bigger. 3/4 NT takes an absolute work mule to do the job-Wilfork is the best IMO. No way do I take Raji in the 1st.

14. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007
    Truth to be told, I'm not too interested in mockdrafts in January as it's pretty much an exercise in trying to catch a black cat in a dark room with your eyes blindfolded. They get a bit more interesting after the combine and the individual workouts and Pro Days and stuff but the only one I really make a point of reading is Rick Gosselin's final mock on draftday. I'm just way more interested in reliable scouting reports that point me towards players I've yet to watch or supplement my own analysis than I'm interested in speculations where player A will probably be drafted.

padre31 likes this.
  15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    To a certain extent, that stuff is ubiquitous to bigger defensive tackles. I don't think I've seen a pre-draft bio of a DT over 320 pounds that didn't say conditioning, stamina, consistency were issues.

16. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Yeah, but they fulfill a vital function- to kill time when I'm tired of doing the stuff that I have to.

17. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Essential premature hindsight...whoa, that's deep.

I'm just playing. That's an interesting way to sum up your conclusion.

18. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

I've watched Raji a couple games; he'll collaspe the pocket the DE position. Lined up at the NT not so much............Way too inconsistant for me

I really wonder if hes the guy that falls on draft day.

19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, there is a flow to these things, the East West game sort of kicks off the Draft season, unknowns step up and impress (Kendall Langford comes to mind), then the other All Star Game, then the Combine.

I love the Shrine Game, very few prospects going in, lots of prospects from "Outer Mongolia State" coming out.

20. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    I haven't seen him against lesser competition. I just don't have the time nor the disc space in my hard drive to be able to do that.

But if he slacks off against lesser opponents he would have no reason to slack off in the NFL. I think this guy is motivated enough to do well in the NFL and is not the kind who is just playing for just the cash. Get an NFL coach on him and i'm sure he will respond.

It's all about the players psyche. We don't know for sure how he'll respond after signing a big contract. Opinions will differ and the analysis becomes more of an art. Only the NFL FOs who interview the players will have a better idea about their personalities just like if you or I are applying for a job during an interview. So we'll never know for sure until he plays a down. I know Raji has the skills. I would like to see him in the senior bowl though.

These scouting reports always cite weaknesses. It's what they do. It's a matter of how you perceive that weakness as being glaring or merely nit picking.

eg. Is he immature? Perhaps. Is he just a 21-22 year old college football player simply acting his age? May be. Is he serious about being a pro football player? who knows?

I'm just giving an opinion. By no means am I preaching.

21. Ludacris

Jan 8, 2008
    Exactly, what scouting report doesn't say that about a 320 pound DT. You just have to seive through the rubbish because sometimes they just write something just for the sake of having something to write.

22. my 2 cents

my 2 cents Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2007
    NC Mountains
    Scott Wright has a fantastic future behind him....JMO.:tongue2:

23. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Lets see how he interviews. I remember reading that he really cleaned up his act this past year.