1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bio-engineered trees to combat climate change

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Miamian, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6811264.ece
    I hate the British press and wouldn't normally read it. This is an article that a student of mine wanted to read.

2. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    No, even if effective, it wouldn't satisfy carbon credit crowd. The only way to save the planet from this fake catastrophe is to destroy our standard of living by paying it over to carbon trading companies / governments.

gafinfan, cnc66 and BigDogsHunt like this.
  3. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :up:

4. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    what if there is no such thing as global warming or climate change???? What if this is just normal and humans, who are very extremely arrogant are completely wrong about this??? What if the jokes on everyone. Shouldn't there be some hard evidence that the globe is indeed warming?????:shifty:

gafinfan and BigDogsHunt like this.
  5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    I am all for Eco-Friendly manufacturing processes. Even products that can be purchased. New industrys equal jobs, again ok with that. All of these lead to choices folks can make in their daily lives.

However, I laugh that this Summer of '09 is being called a Global Cooling summer by many TV weather folks!!!! Hahhahaha.

Darn Al Gore, not sure what was inacted in policy or tax mandates to solve the Global Warming...but darn that was quick!:lol:

6. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Warmest Arctic temperatures for 2,000 years, says new study

Observed temperatures

More observed temperatures

Glaciers a canary in the coal mine of global warming

Melting glaciers: Do pictures lie?

Brrr.. can't you feel the global cooling? :lol:

BTW, the news articles I cited were all published this month. If you are interested in reading more, do a search in this forum. If the earth is cooling, why are measured temperatures rising? Why are glaciers melting? Doesn't make sense.

Turn down the temperature in your freezer and tell me when your ice starts to melt. ;)

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I can't believe people still buy into Global warming.

Climate change is a natural occurrence.

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I hear what your saying but temperatures 2000 years ago........we only started keeping track in the last 200 years

These guys are talking about temperature variations of under 1/2 degree.

Scientists in other studies have concluded that we are in a 615,000 year cycle and its been 700,000 years since the last ice age. In conclusion we are 85,000 years over due. additionally no scientist has been able to create a mock model of the world complete with atmosphere, etc, inject it with large amounts of carbon dioxide and create a warming effect.

I'm stumped :confused2:

Maybe it's a shame???

9. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    I don't see why people are complaining about this. Should we make an effort to heat up the earth?

Even if global warming is a hoax, what is the downside here? Isn't a cooler climate a good thing anyway? Do you all like to sweat while you're in your homes? Do you relish paying exorbitant electric bills?

Besides that, cooling the earth can become an industry. Those fly-swatter things don't just magically sprout from the ground. People have to design, manufacture, assemble, and install them. That equals jobs! A whole gigantic complex of industries based on making us feel more comfortable in a way that doesn't produce consequences.

Even beyond that, getting off ozone-producing fuel sources is also a good thing politically and economically. First, the Arabs have very little power and people like Hugo Chavez become irrelevant. With the incredible multiplicity of different alternative fuel sources, the opportunity for producing jobs is almost incomprehensible. All of that versus one industry: oil. Which is preferable?

10. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    there's plenty of evidence.. the ONLY issue is why

gafinfan and Celtkin like this.
  11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Great post Michael.

The question is not global warming or not....
    The question is great new technology that could help curb our dependence on Oil. Always a good thing.

gafinfan, Celtkin and Miamian like this.
  12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Plenty of evidence for Global Cooling and Global Warming as a natural cycle over the Earths history. Highly educated, entrenched, competent, and passionate folks on both sides....much like Politics (*shudder* - except for the educated and competent parts. :wink2:).

Just saying, new fake trees as an industry = jobs...cool. But not much other value or benefit should be demanded or expected beyond that fact.