1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bill Bruford vs. Tommy Lee

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by anlgp, Jul 16, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Ok, someone on some other forum that will not be named is trying to put forth the argument that Tommy Lee is a better drummer than Bill Bruford because he can play on his head.

I said "the objective to drum is not to be able to play on one's head. That is part of the concert experience which is not mutually exclusive to drumming. Tommy Lee sucks as a drummer on his head just as much as he does right side up".

Then went on about Bill Bruford (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Bruford) who, admittedly, I am a HUGE fan of his drumming.

My point being..

which do you think is the better overall drummer?

If you're a Yes fan think anything up to and including "Close to the Edge". If you're a Crimson fan think "Larks' Tongue In Aspic" to "Thrak" and everything in between.

I can't give you examples of Lee's work besides "Dr. Feel Good"...

I guess you could make the overall argument that Lee may be the better straight ahead rock guy but this was on a list of "greatest percussionists of all time" and Tommy Lee made the list before Bruford did.

It rightly pissed me off... :pity:

To me bruford is one of the greatest of all times and Lee shouldn't even make the list and the question is pretty much rhetorical.

2. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    where is said list?

3. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Ive seen Bruford live, he is an amazing drummer. Tommy Lee...no so much.

Soundwave likes this.
  4. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    You're kidding me, right?

What's that guy want to know next, who's a better guitarist...Al Dimeola or C.C. Deville? :pity:

unifiedtheory likes this.
  5. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    NEIL PEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Soundwave likes this.
  6. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Tommy Lee did a great job banging on Pamela Anderson, that's gotta hold some weight. Otherwise he (and the rest of the Crue) were a wild, fun band, but none of the members should be accused of being 'great' anythings.

7. anlgp

it's on another website i go to

yeah no joke.. haha

neil peart was (and deserves to be) on the list

and opie, you are right i think i even posted that there.

opfinistic likes this.
  8. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Tommy Lee is not a good drummer, anyone arguing that he is as good as Bruford is doing so from lack of musical knowledge and/or pure love of Motley Crue. I personally know about a half dozen drummers that are light years better than Tommy Lee and not a single one of them would say they compare to Bruford.

Bruford, like many of his compatriots in the "high end drummer" category; Carey, Peart, Bozzio, Portnoy, Bonham among others are/were PROFESSIONAL musicians. Tommy Lee was a party animal/entertainer who happened to be able to keep time and got lucky by being in the right place at the right time.

Tell your friend to start listening to more music because there are hundreds of drummers out there who blow Tommy Lee out of the water. He's not even in the top 1,000 drummers, let alone better then one of the forerunners of the progressive rock genre.

anlgp likes this.
  9. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    Just like I think Max Weinberg is a great drummer. Nothing flashy but he holds the E-Street band together in a big way

10. anlgp

There's nothing wrong with in the pocket drummers at all. Ringo Starr is the perfect example of a drummer who does little to no flashy things (though he is severely under-rated and some of his rolls are incredibly complex) but holds the band together.

They are doing their job in helping the music speak.

But to compare a decent many of the drummers to Bruford and those guys Unified mentioned is abso-****ing-lutely ridiculous.

11. PrepDogg

PrepDogg Rock hard....Ride Free

Apr 19, 2008
    Yeah, I love Motley Crue but saying Lee is better than Bruford is just absurd

12. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Yes & Motley Crue....two bands that shouldn't even be in the same state at the same time.

Tommy Lee was an entertaining drummer and played more than good enough for his kind of music, but he's hardly an influence the way Bill Bruford is.

13. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Hah.

Why is this even a conversation

This is like racing a Chevy 4x4 against a corvette in the paved quarter mile.

Both are made by Chevy, but the truck obviously has no business in the pavement
    /end rant