1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Tuna's take on signing JT...interesting article

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 17, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9579190/Taylor-makes-Miami's-D-a-lot-better-

Disagree with the TO to Buffalo mattering that much, T Edwards is still the Qb, Peters and Dockery are elsewhere and Lynch begins the season on the sidelines via suspension.

But Tuna watched every snap JT played for two years?

That would be 1,400 plays or so.

Sceeto, HULKFish, Boik14 and 6 others like this.
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Billy B and Tommy B will lose sleep because we signed JT. Hopefully Brady loses his other knee too.

RickyNeverInhaled likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    What impressed me was Tuna watching 2 years worth of film on Jason Taylor, even the terrible 07 campaign was studied, that tells me we did not sign JT on a lark or out of feelings, they believe he can still play.

And it bucks me up a bit about Cam Wake.

GISH likes this.
  4. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008

The writer of that article, Jerry Sullivan, is a long time Buffalo beat writer. I'm guessing the repeated references to TO and Buff arise because the article was probably intended for a Buff target. If I lost the context of your post after Marty's edit, disregard my comment.

5. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Marty, butter fingers? :shifty:

padre31 likes this.
  6. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

don't get it Mark...

7. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Most of the opinion pertaining to the value of Taylors signing, seems to be based almost purely on age.

Rounding 35 is significant, but the thing about age, is that not all players succumb to the realities of its onsetting presence, in exactly the same way. While clues of its debilitating effects are varied, and for some insideous, theres also evidence to suggest a potential for longevity in others.

Some believe its related to diet, alcohol, or other attributing vices of self inflicted abuse, compounding injuries, and jarring wear and tear. Others are convinced the most accurate barometer is in the vitality a player projects, the inspiration they instill, and the drive, or determination they still possess.
    When combined with limited measures of the former, I would agree, these attributes greatly reflect the chances of a full career.

But personally, I believe the most likely candidates are those who just happen to be gifted with the genetic makeup, who simply age at a slower pace than everyone else, offering no specific reason, other than they usually appear much like JT.

HULKFish, padre31 and djphinfan like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Age does hit players at different rates and manifests itself in different ways, for example, a Cb will lose several steps, a Wr will no longer be able to seperate, a Dlineman just gasses themselves much more easily.

A real determinant factor IMO is injury history, especially to the legs, things like ACL's just tends to catch up to a player who is older, recovery time is also a problem, two a days are hard on older players and the hamstrings just start getting tweaked or what have you.

That is a part of the reason for the intense preseason workouts, they elevate the declining potential of the older athlete via forcing them to give maximum effort.

Not football, but Nolan Ryan used to pitch complete games into his 40's then went into the clubhouse and worked out for another hour just to raise his fatigue set point, 9 innings was just sort of the beginning of the work and his body adjusted to that schedule.

JT, AFAIK, has had a bad calf and some back issues years ago, so he should still have plenty of athletic performance potential as his joints are structurally sound, it's a matter of building the muscle while retaining flexibility. The cool thing is, if he can do that, his experience gives him a huge edge against less experienced players.

gafinfan and Califin like this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    JT's genetics are real good...

such a smart football player,the half step he loses, he gains with his intelligence for the game..

I believe hes gonna have a major impact on this defense and team..Him and Joey meshing and sharing the leadership resonsibilities is really interesting..

Were gonna have a good team.

Califin and dolphindebby like this.
  10. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    This is the reason he won DPOY in 2006 IMO. I really think he can give us something good this year, and would be very happy if he signed another 1-2 year deal after this year if he proves productive this year.

11. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree. We are going to have a good team......maybe even bordering on great.
    And the best thing about it is, even after winning the AFCE last year, it appears the Dolphins are going to fly under the radar again as the regular season starts.
    At least until we start the season 3-0 after wins in Atlanta, vs. Indy and at San Diego.

12. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    who knows how much he will play, TC will go a long way in that determination ... Wake is not ready today - but that doesn't mean he won't be by the end of camp. We just don't know, and that is the reason for JT. You know what you are getting from him.

if he is around next year, that spells bad things for the stable of 'OLB projects' we currently have on the roster. UNLESS, it comes down to JP or JT for next year.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    our franchise, our team and its personalities, on the field and off, are all in sync right now. I think from an execution standpoint, we have a chance to be a 'great"team as you say {i like how you slipped that word in there brother}, how that and our overall talent translates to wins, we shall see.

Like you, i see us being a more improved team then people think...love the fact that were getting disrespected by the pundits..

I believe this team feels its ready to compete for the conference championship, and i can understand why.

dolphindebby and mullingan like this.
  14. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Oh there's a lot more people then that who will be losing sleep over JT being back with the Phins.

Rex Ryan
    Dbrickashaw Ferguson
    Whoever the Jets starting QB is
    Trent Edwards
    All of Buffalo
    Matt Light
    Every OC on the schedule
    Every HC on the schedule
    Every QB on the schedule

JT still has a lot left in the tank in my opinion and even in a part time role I would expect 10 sacks and a handful of gamechanging plays

15. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I agree. I don't believe there is any way Parcells and Co. bring back Taylor if they think they are still in a complete rebuilding mode.
    Teams only bring in a guy like Taylor if they are trying to win now.
    This is the best I've felt about the Miami Dolphins organization in a long, long time.

mullingan likes this.
  16. ascii

ascii People Watcher

Nov 27, 2007
    Etters, Pa
    That's the real benefit here. We will force opposing teams to game plan for him. Regardless if he comes through each game with big plays or not, the offense, EVERY offense will spot him when he's on. This obviously helps out the rest of the defense. The only way this doesn't work is if JT comes out and pulls a Wilford (aka doesn't show up at all :lol:).

17. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I didn't see a single quote from Parcells in the article, how did they arrive at that title?

Regardless, it was a brilliant move, one that had the Tuna's stamp all over it. On passing downs we put Porter, Taylor, Wake, Ross out there, who does the opposing OL plan to block? Should be fun to watch!