Big Lie: Big Ten

42 replies

DonShula84DonShula84StaffOP
Oct 28, 2008, 02:45 PM

The most tried and true formula for reaching the BCS championship game is as follows:

1. Play an easy non-conference schedule.

2. Belong to the Big Ten.

Four times in Joe Paterno’s career at Penn State he’s coached undefeated teams and didn’t win a national title. This year, at 9-0, ranked No. 3 in the BCS standings and facing the easiest road among contenders over the final six weeks, he’s poised for a trip to Miami to win it all.

Don’t say you can’t teach an old Lion some new tricks.

Penn State needs a little help from one of the teams ahead of him, Texas and Alabama. They play in higher-caliber conferences and face multiple major tests away from home. If history is any measure, one, if not both, will lose.

Penn State faces Iowa, Indiana and Michigan State. Only the home game against the Spartans presents any meaningful challenge. The lack of a Big Ten conference championship game means Paterno can cozy up before Thanksgiving and watch everyone kill each other off.

This riveting system is what BCS apologists call a playoff, even if not everyone has to face playoff competition.

There is no logic to the illogical way college football crowns its champions though. So this is what you get – a nation of fans already howling that Penn State is running an end around on the system.

Well, why wouldn’t they? And why should they feel bad about it?

It’s not Paterno’s fault. He favors a playoff. Line ‘em up and play ‘em, he says. What’s wrong with the Division III model? In the late 1960s, Paterno put together back-to-back 11-0 seasons and was shut out from a title both times. He isn’t a fan of pollsters. Don’t get him started about computers.

Being pro-playoff means the 82-year-old is too modern of a thinker for his perpetually petrified Big Ten commissioner, Jim Delany.

Paterno has tried to lobby Delany, only to be brushed off. The commish knows when he’s stacked the deck.

Penn State is simply following Ohio State’s plan before it.

Big Lie: Big Ten - College Football - Rivals.com

MotionMotionNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 02:56 PM

Couldn't agree more with JoePa

Line ‘em up and play ‘em

:up:

Oct 28, 2008, 04:14 PM

"Motion wrote:

Couldn't agree more with JoePa

Line ‘em up and play ‘em

:up:

It's a shame the rest of the conference doesnt see it that way. They have a nice formula (scam) to get one of their teams in the title game though, so I understand why they wouldnt want to mess w/ that.

HardKoreXXXHardKoreXXXNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 05:18 PM

Penn State will get demolished by an SEC team (Florida/Georgia/Alabama)

I think Texas loses and gets skipped by the Sec champion.

@BaseyCrock

"Making people on the Internet feel better about their own lives since 2004"

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 05:46 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Penn State will get demolished by an SEC team (Florida/Georgia/Alabama)

I think Texas loses and gets skipped by the Sec champion.

A one loss Big 12 team is better IMO than a 1 loss SEC team.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 05:55 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Penn State will get demolished by an SEC team (Florida/Georgia/Alabama)

I think Texas loses and gets skipped by the Sec champion.

Ofcourse they would....:pity:

King FelixKing FelixSupporter
Oct 28, 2008, 05:58 PM

"HardKoreXXX wrote:

Penn State will get demolished by an SEC team (Florida/Georgia/Alabama)

I think Texas loses and gets skipped by the Sec champion.

really? i dont think any team can "demolish" penn state

that better not happen, if texas loses to baylor, kansas or texas a&m. then i think they will get jumped but, if texas beats texas tech i see no way they lose again....i really want texas in the championship game. they are going through a tougher stretch right now than any team in the SEC

Oct 28, 2008, 06:03 PM

"King Felix wrote:

really? i dont think any team can "demolish" penn state

that better not happen, if texas loses to baylor, kansas or texas a&m. then i think they will get jumped but, if texas beats texas tech i see now way they lose again....i really want texas in the championship game. they are going through a tougher stretch right now than any team in the SEC

Even if they get by Texas Tech they'll have to play Missouri again in a Championship game. The Big Ten protects its teams too much to avoid any potential late loss that could cost them.

Even if Texas loses to Baylor or Kansas at the end of the year I still think this 4 week stretch they're coming out of, and the Big 12 Champ game should be enough to get them in the title game. I dont know if it will, but it should.

PSU could be a really good team. It's hard to know because their schedule doesnt challenge them.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 06:38 PM

"DonShula84 wrote:

Even if they get by Texas Tech they'll have to play Missouri again in a Championship game. The Big Ten protects its teams too much to avoid any potential late loss that could cost them.

Even if Texas loses to Baylor or Kansas at the end of the year I still think this 4 week stretch they're coming out of, and the Big 12 Champ game should be enough to get them in the title game. I dont know if it will, but it should.

PSU could be a really good team. It's hard to know because their schedule doesnt challenge them.

Big Ten protects their teams?? Ridiculous qoute of the week....I mean was it not the #1 and #2 teams in the country battling it out with the LAST game on their schedule 2 years ago?? Laughable comment.

Penn State has played on the road at Ohio State and in Madison where Wisconsin had only lost once in three years, plus they play at Iowa(top 30) and Michigan State wich is 21st in the BCS..

Maybe not as challenging as a big 12 schedule or even an SEC schedule but certainly no cupcake.

Oct 28, 2008, 06:56 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

Big Ten protects their teams?? Ridiculous qoute of the week....I mean was it not the #1 and #2 teams in the country battling it out with the LAST game on their schedule 2 years ago?? Laughable comment.

Penn State has played on the road at Ohio State and in Madison where Wisconsin had only lost once in three years, plus they play at Iowa(top 30) and Michigan State wich is 21st in the BCS..

Maybe not as challenging as a big 12 schedule or even an SEC schedule but certainly no cupcake.

The article explains it all

Penn State is simply following Ohio State’s plan before it.

Forget about scheduling only major opponents in the non-conference the way Southern California does. Sure it’s a challenge for the players, rewards the fans with great games and is generally a lot of fun. But when did that start meaning anything? It just increases the likelihood of being worn out and having a silly lapse in league play.

Don’t even consider a conference championship game that might result in a loss for a contender. It keeps shooting the Big 12 in the foot, doesn’t it? Why play 13 games when the pollsters don’t punish you for playing only 12?

Penn State’s non-conference opponents are a combined 12-19 on the season. Just seven of those wins came against teams from what used to be called Division I-A.

The Big Ten teams on Penn State’s schedule are a combined 34-32.

That’s good for a 46-51 record (.474). By comparison, Texas’ likely opponents are 63-40 (.612).

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 07:06 PM

"DonShula84 wrote:

The article explains it all

One sportswriters opinion is all of a sudden a "fact" because you happen to agree with it??

Good philosophy.:knucks:

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 07:10 PM

Yes the SEC has no idea whats its like being in bad shape :rolleyes:

I guess the Big Ten should just sit and twiddle their thumbs because they don't appeal to the masses :(

I wish a playoff would happen but it probably wont the BCS system is flawed. Until then why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

Oct 28, 2008, 07:11 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

One sportswriters opinion is all of a sudden a "fact" because you happen to agree with it??

Good philosophy.:knucks:

It's obviously opinion, who stated it was fact? The article is support for the opinion I posted...see how that works?

Way to address the point though. :knucks:

Oct 28, 2008, 07:12 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Yes the SEC has no idea whats its like being in bad shape :rolleyes:

I guess the Big Ten should just sit and twiddle their thumbs because they don't appeal to the masses :(

I wish a playoff would happen but it probably wont the BCS system is flawed. Until then why wouldn't you take advantage of it?

Your conference has continually been one of the road blocks to a playoff system :lol:

Like I said I dont blame them for taking advantage of the system. But it doesnt mean they cant be criticized for it.

Fin-OmenalFin-OmenalNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 07:19 PM

"DonShula84 wrote:

It's obviously opinion, who stated it was fact? The article is support for the opinion I posted...see how that works?

Way to address the point though. :knucks:

I addressed the point in teh previous post....remeber, the one you replied with"this article explains it all"

Back on topic the Big Ten is down right now...yes, but not as bad as some would hope and by no means does the Big ten "avoid" late season risks Ex: OSU vs Michigan

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 07:29 PM

"DonShula84 wrote:

Your conference has continually been one of the road blocks to a playoff system :lol:

Like I said I dont blame them for taking advantage of the system. But it doesnt mean they cant be criticized for it.

Hey if I was in charge I would add another team preferably Pitt, or ND (:shifty:-) then have a conference title game. That would fix the Big problem.

Oct 28, 2008, 07:34 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

I addressed the point in teh previous post....remeber, the one you replied with"this article explains it all"

Back on topic the Big Ten is down right now...yes, but not as bad as some would hope and by no means does the Big ten "avoid" late season risks Ex: OSU vs Michigan

The lack of a title game is how they avoid risk. They cant change the schedule mid season to avoid playing a good team at the end, so you dont get bonus points for that, sorry.

StitchesStitchesLuxury Box
Oct 28, 2008, 08:50 PM

"DonShula84 wrote:

The lack of a title game is how they avoid risk. They cant change the schedule mid season to avoid playing a good team at the end, so you dont get bonus points for that, sorry.

Could be argued that PAC-10 is the same way, despite all teams playing each other, only 2 or 3 are worth anything it seems. Just like the Big ten recently.

I'm pretty sure the Big Ten has tried multiple times to add ND too.

2017 Dream Draft (3/17 – NFLDraftScout ~ Rankings used)

22. Zach Cunningham, LB, Vandy
54. Desmond King, S/DB, Iowa
97. Demarcus Walker, DE, FSU
166. Jermaine Eluemunor, OL, TAMU
178. George Kittle, TE, Iowa
184. Charles Walker, DT, Oklahoma
223. Aviante Collins, OL, TCU

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 09:00 PM

JT believes that a team will be added to the Big Ten within the next 5 years with a split and a conference title game.

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Oct 28, 2008, 09:29 PM

"Fin-Omenal wrote:

A one loss Big 12 team is better IMO than a 1 loss SEC team.

:no:

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Oct 28, 2008, 09:38 PM

"muscle979 wrote:

:no:

Big 12 has high powered offense I seriously doubt a SEC could play defense. I seriously doubt any defense could stop Texas, Oklahoma, TTech, Mizzou.

Oct 28, 2008, 09:52 PM

"Stitches wrote:

Could be argued that PAC-10 is the same way, despite all teams playing each other, only 2 or 3 are worth anything it seems. Just like the Big ten recently.

I'm pretty sure the Big Ten has tried multiple times to add ND too.

I would say the samething about the Pac-10. And ND not joining the Big Ten cant be blamed for how they run their conference. ND isnt joining, they need to get over it and find someone else.

OboyOboyLuxury Box
Oct 29, 2008, 12:27 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Big 12 has high powered offense I seriously doubt a SEC could play defense. I seriously doubt any defense could stop Texas, Oklahoma, TTech, Mizzou.

You have the right to your opinion, but others may say they have not played anything worthy of a HS Defense either. So... who is right? We won't know. :no:

Unfortunately until we get a playoff all we (as fans) can do is have our opinions of how one team will fare against another. Two years ago EVERYONE thought OSU was going to DESTROY UF. I also remember most people (myself included on that one) thinking USC was going to Destroy UT when they played. That is one of the fun things about College football.

Now about the Big Ten? Are they taking advantage of the system and their conference being weak? Yes. Do I blame them? Heck no. However, Don is right, if they are going to take advantage of the system they sure as heck can be criticized for it. Not just taking shots at the Big Ten. I think the Pac 10 is doing the same right now.

Personally I think EVERY conference should have a title game. PERIOD. That way it pretty much guarantees at least one tough game on a neutral field.

BuckeyeKingBuckeyeKingNew Member
Oct 29, 2008, 02:31 PM

"Oboy wrote:

You have the right to your opinion, but others may say they have not played anything worthy of a HS Defense either. So... who is right? We won't know. :no:

Unfortunately until we get a playoff all we (as fans) can do is have our opinions of how one team will fare against another. Two years ago EVERYONE thought OSU was going to DESTROY UF. I also remember most people (myself included on that one) thinking USC was going to Destroy UT when they played. That is one of the fun things about College football.

Now about the Big Ten? Are they taking advantage of the system and their conference being weak? Yes. Do I blame them? Heck no. However, Don is right, if they are going to take advantage of the system they sure as heck can be criticized for it. Not just taking shots at the Big Ten. I think the Pac 10 is doing the same right now.

Personally I think EVERY conference should have a title game. PERIOD. That way it pretty much guarantees at least one tough game on a neutral field.

Who in the SEC has a defense? Certainly not LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida. Notice its the power houses......

We may see a 12th team added in the Big Ten it just wont happen as fast everyone wants it to.

MotionMotionNew Member
Oct 29, 2008, 02:40 PM

"BuckeyeKing wrote:

Who in the SEC has a defense? Certainly not LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Florida. Notice its the power houses......

We may see a 12th team added in the Big Ten it just wont happen as fast everyone wants it to.

What is your definition of "Having a defense"???

Florida is 6th in the nation in scoring defense and passing defense.

Alabama is 5th in yards against and 2nd in rushing defense.

South Carolina is 4th in pass defense.

etc.......

Sorry, Try again. :wink2:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/sortableStatsTeam?div=CFB&stype=DEFENSE&stable=overall&stat=overallPtsGm&dir=ascending