1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big brother's honor inspires Dolphins' Vontae Davis

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan7171, Dec 30, 2009.

1. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...(Miami+Dolphins+/+South+Florida+Sun-Sentinel)

2. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Baring injury, He'll be playing his brother in the ProBowl soon enough.

3. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    :1eye:

Ophinerated likes this.
  4. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007

Clearly talking about another vontae because it certainly can't be the one that suits up in a dolphins uniform every sunday:no:

:pity:

5. Ross Ohlendorf

Ross Ohlendorf Banned

Nov 19, 2009
    nope it's the one who gives up big play after big play every week..

6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hmm or the same one who successfully contained randy moss in the second pats game save for one play? Or the one who played well vs roddy white, TO and Reggie wayne?

He does give up the big play on occassion but it happens..hes a rookie? Even Revis and Asomugha werent shutdown cb's their first year. Vontae needs to work on his awareness and technique. He also needs better help over the top from the safeties. Also if youre going to make claims back it up with some kind of fact instead of making vague claims

7. Ross Ohlendorf

Ross Ohlendorf Banned

Nov 19, 2009
    really he shut down reggie wayne?
    well they only had the ball for 15 minutes..
    but uh just 1 other kinda big thing about that game... he was only on the field for 9 plays... but nice try anyway pal

didn't t.o. just make him look foolish oh say a month ago..? and smith and moss and gage and washington and on and on
    great tackling this week that resulted in what a 40 yard+ gain.. think it was jacoby jones but does it really matter u get the point.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    ^ Guess we should cut him, he sucks. Just another 1st rd bust for us.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I'll try to defend him, but I'll be called an Apologist for doing so. So I'll just stay quiet.

Tone_E likes this.
  10. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I love it when people can select bits and parts of a post and base their argument off of selective comparisons. Like I said he has some work to do but hes a rookie and hes done far more good then bad. Hes already one of the top ten CB's in the league against the run; few CB's are more physical. The physical tools for him are there and remember he came out as a junior so the learning curve typically runs higher for players that come out a year earlier. There are so many plays that he got "credit" for being burned on where he was supposed to have over the top safety help that didnt get there. Is it all on the safeties? No, but his rookie year is only slightly worse then some other quality players and as a defense we had allowed 30 plays over 20 yards this year 24th in the league.

To quote one of guru's (boomer) and a post he made a few weeks ago since we had this discussion in Club Level a couple of times through the year and this was the gist of the conversation: "he gets beaten in man zone by Braylon at Landshark down to the one by a stunning catch when he mis-times a jump. He picks off Brady deep to Moss. He gets done by a remarkable one hand grab by Moss to the one in perfect coverage with a little Randy push off that doesn't get called, then gives up a touchdown in pretty good coverage to Moss. He gives up a long strike to Owens when TO pushes off to create separation and he gives up the scores in generally good coverage on Gage.

We weren't going to win the Superbowl this year. We really weren't. We don't have the personnel. We have a lot of good young players, perhaps as many as any team in the league, but we're too thin at the skill positions to win it all. For me the situation with Davis and Smith is like that of Henne. Chad was never likely to start in 2009 but look what happened. Regardless of how the season goes I personally think we're way ahead in our goal of making a major push for 2010 because of the invaluable experience Henne has gained. Same goes for Davis and Smith. The fact they've been thrown to the wolves, the fact that they've been beaten is only going to help them. I fully expect Davis to be pushing for a Pro Bowl next year. His issues for me are about technique, not about natural coverage. When to look for the ball, how to make contact without making contact, etc. These two kids (Vontae and Sean Smith) will be really good because of what they endured in a season that we were not going to win in. But because of what they learned in a season we couldn't win might just mean we win and win big a lot sooner."

11. High Definition

High Definition No Smoke / No Drink 2011+

Nov 26, 2007
    South Beach
    T.O. made our scheme look foolish for not having a safety back there.