1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best guess here: Miami Dolphins choose defense in first round

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I know..it's Armando...uggh!, but what the hell. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1006741.html

Thanks for reminding us Armando. :(
    I agree with Mr. Obvious on that one. ;).
    Man, that dude gets no respect. I don't think I've seen the guy drop one pass. He's got hands of clue. He's super clutch. He always moves the chains when we most need it. Poor guy. The injury is a little worrisome. Don't get me wrong, I think we could use an addition to this receiving core, but the dude must feel like Rodney Dangerfield. ;)
    I would love to get him. he would greatly improve our receiving core. ;)

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Britt supposedly is a drama queen.

Poor Greg C, all he does is make plays.

Sceeto likes this.
  3. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    This is what I think is going to happen. Our first pick is going to be michael johnson, second is going to be sean smith and third is anyones guess but I think it will be sharod martin the cb. Not saying that's what I want but looking at what they are doing I think two of those players will be on our team.

4. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    agreed on Johnson, and that 1 of the 2s will be a CB ...

5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Picking Johnson, especially with a first, scares me. Don't get me wrong, he's a freak. But, his heart (motor) is in serious question from I've seen and heard.

Guess all I can do is hope he's off the board before we pick.

6. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    forgive me for being ignorant of college players since i don't watch college. who does michael johnson play for and what position does he play?

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Michael Johnson - Georgia Tech - DE

He'd be a weak side rusher or strong side situational rusher here.

8. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    if we pick 2 CB's with our 2nd round picks, i wouldn't be opposed to getting the best available WR with pick #25. thanks for making me reconsider my draft priorities. of course if this happens LB would be left out as far as drafting a sure starter. I know 1st and 2nd round picks don't always work out (jason allen) but if we did this i would assume we would have a starting #1 WR and at least one starting CB out of 2. Sounds good to me!

9. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    thanks. That's fine with me. As long as we take care of at least 2 needs with our first 3 picks, i'm a happy camper. Specially if one of those needs is CB.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    To me, he puts on 20-30 pds ala Phil Merling and we play him at DE, or adds maybe 10 pds and he is Vonnie Holiday's replacement on the Dline rotation.

6'6 and 266? His frame could handle at least 10 more pounds...I can hear Sparano from here "you're going to do dead lifts until you think you're going to die!" :lol:

11. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    I am actually opposed to drafting michael johnson. I just don't like him. I am 90 percent sure that he will be drafted by us. I'm just hoping not with 25.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Play him at end full-time? Why would we do that?

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because he has the frame to upgrade Alen, he's 6'6 and 266, he's one of the few prospects in this draft who can play OLB or DE and remain legit while doing so.

IMO we tried it with Merling and he only porked up...sheesh..:lol:

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you move him to defensive end in the 3-4 alignment full-time, I don't think you'd be using him to his potential at all. His strength is getting after the Quarterback. His first step is good and he's got speed off the edge. He's fluid when dropping and disrupts passing windows with his 6'6" frame and long arms. At end, you'd be asked him to tie up blocks and that's not something I think he would do successfully because he's inconsistent at the point of attack as well. He doesn't always get great leverage and is knocked off the line because of over-powering blockers. Personally, I think it'd be a poor fit for him but to each his own.

Sceeto likes this.
  15. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    i agree. for a guy that was considered such a hot prospect at one point, his career was unimpressive at best at georgia tech. He had a few nice games but in no way was he consistent.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    It is unimaginably difficult to find DE's in the 3-4 who can also rush the Quarteback, as in insanely hard, look around the NFL and find a DE who has 10 sacks in the 3-4 and they are a pro bowler to be sure.

And THAT is why I like M Johnson as a DE for us.

17. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's because that's not their job. They're job is to hold up blocks and let the linebackers shoot through gaps. If your discussing him as a player who sticks his hand in the dirt as a situational rusher then possibly. However, full-time, I don't see it happening.

18. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I agree with you alen. You definitely don't want him on the line taking up blockers, especially in a 3-4. In order to do that successfully, you have to be able to get low to take them on or the big O Tackles in this league, with their size and strength, will put you on your arse every time, especially with a guy who is 6'6". You definitely want to utilize his strengths and have him rushing the passer, IMO. With someone like him, he doesn't even have to get his hands on the QB to be effective. With his size, just getting close and getting in the QB's face could disrupt a lot of pass plays, IMO.

19. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    agreed as well on his staying an OLB .... equally, i never thought about him moving to DE.

we did just sign McDaniels who is also 6'6'' ... we'll see how he works out as a DE or if a move to NT is in his future as some have intimated.

what is known is that Parcells prefers both his OLBs and DEs 6'4''-6'5'' ... and the added height is a bonus -- and what i believe will make him the selection at 25. His weight for OLB is a little heavy, and of course - he is a little light for DE according to the Parcells blueprint.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its fine IMO. I think if anything, its light for a strong-side linebacker but at weak side, he should be fine.

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He can play up or down that is a part of the appeal of M Johnson, but I don't see him as a full time replacement for Joey P once he moves on as I'm not certain how good of a chase player he would be.

How does MJ compare to Demarcus Ware? I've casually watched Ware over time and he looks like a lean and tall and fast OLB/DE?