1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bess making best of opportunity

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by AMfinfan9, Jan 8, 2010.

1. AMfinfan9

AMfinfan9 Junior Member

Dec 14, 2007
    PA
    http://draftnasty.com/insider_blogs/bess-making-best-of-opportunity/

SICK, bluehaze and NaboCane like this.
  2. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
  3. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    He does remind me of OJ Mr first down McDuffie.

NaboCane likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    What's not to love.
    He is a great great kid.
    He works non-stop, often showing up hours before anybody and staying later than anybody working the jugs machine.
    He understands his role.
    Has incredible hands.
    Fights for extra yardage when needed.
    Runs great routes.
    -
    Truely one of the great success stories of the NFL!

5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    plus he was free mang
    in terms of a draft pick
    we will have to tender an offer that he will have to sign or not play i think
    keeper

6. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    You are right. Exculsive free agent must accept or not play. Haynos is as well.

Killerphins likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Bess took alot of heat for his slump midway through the year, I think he's a suitable replacement for Welker.

Oh and he's an ERFA which means he has to resign with us.

Killerphins likes this.
  8. Styla

Styla #1 Davone Bess Fan!!!

Apr 1, 2008
    Chillaxin' in So.Cal
    That's my boy :yes::up:

Dolfan4Life and Puka-head like this.
  9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Too...many...fumbles....

And I like Bess's game (take him off of punts though) his ball security really slid this year.

10. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I love Bess, such a solid player and i think he will become even more consistent once we have a deffinite #1 Wideout.

11. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bess is a nice 3rd or 4th wideout that comes cheap. Hopefully he can hold onto the ball next year. Please take him off punt returns. His punt returns are awful!

Stitches likes this.
  12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Davone Bess: 76 rec, 758 yd, 2 TD
    Calvin Johnson: 67 rec, 984 yd, 5 TD
    Chad Ochocinco: 72 rec, 1047 yd, 9 TD
    Marques Colston: 70 rec, 1074 yd, 9 TD
    Donald Driver: 70 rec, 1061 yd, 6 TD
    Vincent Jackson: 68 rec, 1167 yd, 9 TD

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong.

It's Bess. He had 9 catches more than the fewest catch guy but still had 225 yds less than the lowest guy. TDs, he couldn't get more than half the fewest. He's hardly a problem in our WR group, but he shouldn't be brought up with those guys IMO.

Rhody Phins Fan likes this.
  13. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Alot of that has to do with our dink and dunk offense, noone is going to put up alot of yards in it. I know it was originally setup for Pennington. Hopefully now that Henne is the starter Henning will start working on a playbook for him as opposed to Pennington. We really need to start spreading the field more this run first dink and dunk stuff went out of style long ago...

14. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    While I would agree in general, #'s also have a lot to do with what Bess does best. So many of his catches came within 6 yards of the LOS. As a really good WR, if you get 75 catches, there really isn't a reason (IMO) that you shouldn't have over 825 yds. Bess is making the most out of what he has which is wonderful (I wish I could say the same about two other WRs we have), but he is going to need almost 90 catches (if not more) to get 1,000 yards regardless of our offense (IMO). Those other guys listed obviously don't.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    will be very interesting to see him reunited with his counterpart from Hawaii @ wr, Ryan Grice-Mullen

16. TJamesW_Phinfan

TJamesW_Phinfan New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Just curious as I am not good at stats especially outside the Phins. Are there any numbers that indicate how often those other receivers were thrown to and how often in the red zone? And or how many TD's on their respective teams went to other receivers or were run ins? Or even how many of their yards were after the catch? How often is Bess a target in or near the end zone compared to other guys on the team?

I am not saying Bess is the same level as these guys, he isn't. Maybe, though, some of the numbers are effected by other variables than just the receiver.

Bess does not have lethal break away speed but I think he is fast enough that with his catch dependability makes him a very good option in our offense. He did have a lot of drops and fumbles but so did a lot of the team. I would think a few drops were adjusting to a new QB.

I think he will mature into an even better receiver. Not a super star maybe but a guy that can get that first down and keep the drive alive.

17. Ricky Williams

Ricky Williams New Member

Sep 10, 2008
    A review of Bess' fumbles...

3 muffed punts:

Week 8 vs NYJ. Bess muffed the punt recovered by the Jets. Jets scored a TD. Ginn saves the day and returns the next kickoff for 101 yds.

Week 10 vs TB. Bess muffed the punt and falls on it.

Week 14 vs Jax #1. Bess muffed punt, picks it up and goes for 11 yds.

3 fumbles:

Week 7 vs NO. Bess fumbles with 1:30 left before half. You know the rest. Saints go in and score before half. Game over. This was also that play that was 50/50 on a fumble or not. They called the fumble on the field so that's what stood. Also on this play Bess was wrapped up and fighting for that extra yard and Roman Harper just came in and made a play strickly on the ball as the tackle was secured. Although the fumble can't go unlooked, I chalk this up as more a great heads up play by Roman Harper.

Week 13 vs NE. Bess fumbles 14 yd pass. Nate Garner falls on it.

Week 14 vs Jax #2. Bess fumbles on an end around. Bess simply was not holding the ball to his body and the LB easily popped it out. Jax goes 3 and out.

I can't hold Bess accountable for his muffed punts simply becuase he shouldn't be our punt returner. This is on the coaches. Not saying Ginn is the answer, but Bess definitely is not. Three fumbles. Two most definitely his fault. One just an outstanding play by Harper. I don't see Bess deserving the fumble prone title. (I'm not saying that's what your implying by any means, so please don't take it that way. Also I'm not replying directly to your post, just using it as I've seen multiple people comment on his fumbles this year. :hi5:) This kid is equally as good as Welker IMO. Put Bess with Brady and he catches 100+ balls a year no question.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How is he not accountable for that?

Bess is not Welker. They are similar in size, however are pretty different in the way they play. For one Bess is way worse as a slot receiver than Welker. Bess, on the other hand, is much better as a outside receiver than Welker.

Welker is extremely quick.

I see him more as a Wayne Chrebet.

19. Ricky Williams

Sep 10, 2008
    Becuase he shouldn't be on punt return duty. Simple.

I view Bess as extremely quick as well and equally as shifty. I never said anything about slot vs outside. Just that he is equally as good as welker and would have the same production with Brady.

20. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Calvin Johnson - 136 Targets
    Chad OchoCinco - 128 Targets
    Davone bess - 113 Targets
    Donald Driver - 112 Targets
    Vincent Jackson - 107 Targets
    Marques Colston 106 Targets

Bess was 22nd in the league in targets but only 45th in yards.

Skeet84, TJamesW_Phinfan and Stitches like this.
  21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's it. That's all that needs to be said. I said Bess isn't a problem, but he doesn't belong in conversation with these guys (in relation to their production this year).

You can find at least red zone catches by looking at stat splits on ESPN.com. Same thing with other WR catches.

TJamesW_Phinfan likes this.
  22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    So Ginn shouldn't be accountable for his drops or lack of production when he starts because he shouldn't be a #1 WR?

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    That doesn't mean he should muff punts. His entire job is to not muff punts. He is responsible, simple.

Bess is quick, however not extremely. He uses his body really well.

24. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Most of his catches come from within 6 yards of the LOS because he's stuck in the slot and we don't have a deep threat to spread the field. If we had a deep threat to get the safeties further back and open up the field some i'm sure he'd be averaging more per catch than he does but it just ain't gonna happen without a real threat out at #1. The kid has to take what he's given. No he's not as good as Welker and some of the other slot guys but for an UDFA he's playing well beyond what anyone should have expected of him.

Thing I like about Bess is you see progression, he's a hard worker and it shows in his game same with Hartline he's showing alot of progress. This is my biggest stickler with Ginn, the kid just isn't getting better he's getting worse. It's why i'd gladly move forward with Bess and Hartline on the roster they have much more promising futures than the rest of our recievers.

25. Ricky Williams

Sep 10, 2008
    I agree that it doesn't mean he should muff punts. All I was saying is that Bess is not a PR and therefore when I see his has 6 fumbles, that is a little misleading. He's fumbled the ball 3 times while trying to pick up yards with the ball in his hands. A muffed punt is different then fumbling while being hit. Now if he catches the punt and then fumbles, then it's the same thing. Again IMO not catching a punt when you shouldn't be a punt returner is a little different.

26. Ricky Williams

Sep 10, 2008
    Is that sarcasm? A WR should always be accountable for his drops regardless if he's a #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, practice squad. His lack of production is due to being pretrified of being touched.

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just like a PR should be accountable for their muffs and fumbles.