1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bench Cutler - And Here's Why

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Aqua4Ever04, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Write Travis Write Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Hey all. Wrote a piece comparing the pressure Jay Cutler deals with compared to other QBs around the league. Used a hand held timer, contemplated the results, combed through a lot of film.

My conclusion, Cutler is one of the worst quarterbacks in the league.

Read about it:

http://www.thirdand10.com/wewantmoore/

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Great work. Did you see enough of Moore to feel he consistently outperforms Jay under pressure? I am guessing you did. And do you think Jay lost his appetite to hang in the pocket and take a hit to complete passes? If so then is it something he could get back in your opinion?

More and more (no pun intended) this looks like an 8-8 season... if we are lucky

Aqua4Ever04 and bigballa2102 like this.
  3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    The case for recruiting Cutler following Tannehill going down during training camp made perfect sense at the time. Jay Cutler had the best season of his career under Gase, he knew the offense, the terminology and he was a gunslinger with an offensive line and weapons at wide receiver he didn't have in Chicago. What could go wrong, right?

Well retirement appears to have been what went wrong. For those of us aged enough to have had a career and elected to retire, as I did when I decided it was time to retire from the Army we know what it's like when the fire doesn't burn as bright, it doesn't put out as much heat, fatigue has set in and you're tired of trying to make a difference...once that notion sets in, it's like ringing a bell or firing a bullet...it can't be un-rung and un-fired and I'm truly beginning to believe this is the case with Cutler. He decided enough was enough and it was time to hang up the cleats and was truly looking forward to life outside of football. Getting back INTO the groove is pretty damned difficult once you've decided to get out.

I think it's time for Gase to sit down with Cutler and have a down to earth heart to heart. If that raging fire is no longer there, then it's time to move on. We have a good back-up in Matt Moore who has the trust and respect of the the team and if the season collapses, then it collapses. Evaluate Tannehill during the offseason, determine whether or not he's still going to be able to play at the level he did last season. If he is, build around him. If not, start looking towards the future.

4. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    I thought Moore shoulda been the starter. I did not think Jay was 10 million better then Moore. I am not anti Cutler, just thought Moore should be the call for many reasons. Players like it, he brings energy, he plays well.

bigballa2102 likes this.
  5. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I do not think its fair that Ryan got 8 weeks last year when it came to the offense, and Cutler has not..just because he worked with gase two years ago there still should be patience enough to get the program and all the new players..

that being said he must play well in Atlanta, time is running out..moore will galvanize and maybe thats what the team is looking for..

locker room is a fragile space..maybe some are not 100 focused with cutler..and thats not good if true..

6. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL

Landry was on camera seen yelling for Moore to be put in, Landry is known for outbursts but I think jay doesn't care, 10 mill to play in the sun one more year and wearing pads instead of a suit seemed a lot better, now he's just sipping mojitos and smoking Cubans laughing at everyone like Denzel!!!!!! thinking he was gonna come in and win games.

If cutler was missing reads and throwing INT I think I could live with that a lot more than what hes doing, his accuracy is literally non existent anything past 3 yards he looks ELI-ish just tryna get down before anyone hits him or throwing off balance avoiding the rush he's not Rodgers and can succeed this way.

I think the defense will hold up against ATL for about 2 qtrs. maybe, but the 3 and outs will catch up to them and atl will wear them down and it will be a second half blowout, unless we can put up points in the first half by the offense if the defense can help out with a pick 6 would be huge.

7. bigballa2102

bigballa2102 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2013
    So CAL
    I think we have both said this from jump street I think moore easily could have beat the jets and we would be sitting at 3-1

dolphin25 likes this.
  8. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    No he wasn't.

jdang307 likes this.
  9. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Looking back, having Moore start the season while Cutler got into shape and ready to play seems like the better plan.

Gase made the call though. Also Moore would not last a full season before injury. Probably 6 games tops.

10. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    The only logical reason a switch hasn’t been made is Matt Moore’s ability to survive a season. He opens himself up for contact and gets blasted far too often (playoff game, and preseason game in Dallas last year.)

I don’t think it’s realistic to expect him to give you 12 games. But I’m not worried about that any more. Cutler has been ENEMIC for 7 out of 8 halves.

The way this defense is playing, this team should be 4-0. And yet, we are a missed PI call and a missed FG from being 0-4.

dolphin25 likes this.
  11. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    We're gonna get smoked in Atlanta. I cant see any other outcome the way the offense is playing.

12. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I'm not sure Cutler is the problem right now. I kind of feel it's the playcalling and receivers not getting open. Defenses are stacking the box against us with 8 or 9 players. A short passing game and a running attack really aren't going to work against that. We have to air it out until defenses play us honest. Why we aren't I'm not sure. Are the receivers getting open, are they running the correct routes? It's hard to tell on tv. Stills should be thrown to a lot and he is basically invisible. Why?

13. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Melbourne, FL
    Sadly I agree with you. With how our defense is playing, they'll keep the Falcons relatively in check through the first 2 quarters. I can see us going into the half at 10-0 or 13-0. They'll hold the first series or two in the 3rd, but with our offense continuously going 3 and out and the defense back out on the field, the Falcons will open it up and I see us losing. 34-7...and the only reason we'll score a touchdown will be one of those "mercy" scores.

I'll tell you this though, the one drive we do get going and get first downs, if we're losing that badly and I see Landry doing his "first down" move, I'm going to get aggravated. Makes no sense "show boating" when you're getting your butt handed to you.

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 1, 2009
    First off, great job on all those GIF's. People don't realize how much time that eats up when producing an article- I appreciate the effort.

I think most fans see Cutler taking hits and automatically assume that the line sucks, but that hasn't been the case on the majority of the snaps. You're absolutely right, Cutler has been hesitant since taking that big hit and it's effected his throwing motion on a lot of plays. While we'd love to see a clean 5 second pocket on every snap, it's just not a possibility in the current NFL with DE's that have the speed/agility of most running backs.

For instance, there was a play last week where Suh broke loose from the far side as the QB scrambled for the out-of bounds line. Suh had to be 7-8 yards away and he was moving twice as fast as the QB....about 4x as fast as their starting guard. He blistered the QB with a vicious hit about two steps from going out of bounds.

Cutler is holding the ball past three seconds on quite a bit of plays and then throwing without his feet planted. While our line is not all-pro by any means, they are doing well and giving the QB a chance at getting the ball out. Cutler just isn't doing that and his movement/mechanics are horrible compared to how he played in week 1. I think it's safe to say that he's playing scared.

It's very easy to see a QB sack and say, "The line sucks..." That is not the case here though in this ultra-aggressive pass rushing league. Our team is getting to the QB rushing 3 or 4 on most plays, it shouldn't be a shock that opponents are getting to Cutler rushing 4 to 6. We just need to get the ball out faster with accurate throws and I don't think Cutler can do that.

Bpk, cuchulainn and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  15. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated

Sep 28, 2015

Jay Cutler has never lost a home game in Miami. Like ever!

dolphin25, ChrisKo, Bpk and 2 others like this.
  16. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Did you read Landry's quote? He said something to the effect: "He was embarrassed of the crowd calling for Moore. He was pissed."

I've been telling some of you that he never said he wanted Moore in. He was pissed at the crowd. And when Cutler threw the TD to him he went to Cutler and with a very somber face hugged him...

17. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Again - the comment was made by someone on another site who was physically at the game.

I dunno how you could so voraciously deny the possibility it happened.

EDIT: Nevermind I see the article now. Personally, getting quite tired of the egos and massive denial on the part of this offensive unit. Ya, it's OTHER peoples' faults that Cutler doesn't plant when he throws and is clearly out there to avoid hits instead of firing up a ball club ....... something which HE HAS NEVER DONE IN HIS CAREER.

The fans aren't idiots - these guys are just full of themselves.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    dolphin25 likes this.
  18. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    And vice versa... Moore is a relief pitcher as a QB. Like Cutler, he isn't going to be able to stand up to a 16 game schedule. I'm really expecting Cutler to either get hurt or manufacture an injury around mid-season and split it up with Matt, who is easily a better QB than Cutler. He'll make some of the same bone-headed plays, but Matt has heart and actually tries. Cutler plays like he is just out there for paychecks.

19. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I don't mind losing to them as long as we play hard and see some improvement across the board on offense.

What I don't want to see is more cowardly play from Cutler, nor any more of his "smokin' specials" blindly thrown into coverage.

resnor likes this.
  20. Fin-O

Fin-O Initiated

Sep 28, 2015
    How embarrassing.....

21. Fame

Fame Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Vero Beach
    This is such an outdated, archaic way of thinking.

You don’t win games because people like you in the locker room or becaus you have energy. You win games with talent and Matt Moore simply doesn’t have that.

There’s a reason he’s the backup QB. There’s a reason he’s only thrown for 6,000 yards in his career. He’s simply not talented enough to be a starting QB in the NFL.

Cutler isn’t playing well right now, but Moore is NOT a better option. He never has been and he never will be. End. Of. Story.

22. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Correction.

23. Galant

Galant Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Aqua, I'm a recent follower on Twitter and really enjoy reading your stuff. You're one of the best Dolphins follows on the internet.

I can't disagree with your analysis, and don't want to, but I don't yet think Cutler should be benched. His performance has been poor but he's new to this team, coming out of retirement, and had no preseason really.

I think this horrible scenario warrants more time, and putting in Moore would cut that short.

I am hopeful that better offensive line play will help Cutler get into better form and improve his confidence. I don't think Gase will bench Cutler until he's certain that Cutler can't get any better, and that Moore will be.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  24. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    "A man that comes out here and works his a– off and for people to not really understand what’s really going on. Or to not even have touched the field before, to say we want somebody else to be playing, they don’t understand the situation or know what’s going on. They just want to be on Twitter."

;)

25. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    but yet Matt Moore won games..... hmmmmmmmm

26. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    he was being the good teammate. If you have not seen him pissed at Cutler during games you are not watching.

27. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I do believe that Moore went 2-2....lol

28. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I'm watching. I'm just not making things up.

29. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    You should legit be excited for the test this defense is about to face.

One more good performance and we can start calling this a top level defense.

That’s my outlook this season — continued growth on the defense, get our QB back, and take down the Pats in 2018.

30. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I had Ian Wharton on the podcast last night and he said something I hadn’t considered. They should’ve made an IN-GAME switch. When you do that, you can go back to Cutler as the STARTER.

Cutler was playing so poorly, you need a spark at that point.

31. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    nope, just ignoring reality.

32. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    so 2 wins aren't really wins in your world?

33. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Try to keep up.

You used wins as the basis for why Moore should be the QB. Well, Moore was 2-2 last year. So far, Cutler is the same. lol

34. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Nope. Landry has never done anything that you're claiming.

35. Walter

Walter Active Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Bring in Moore, play Cutler, hell bring in one of the rookies it really doesn't matter.

Sure one of those guys will win a game or 2 more maybe even 3 but it still keeps us in the crapper....

Only thing that will help us is finding a QB that doesn't need a Offensive Line to play behind. And they don't exist..Thus a pretty good reason to focus on hmmmm....OL OL OL...(sadly again next year)

Screw the QB build a offensive line of strength then you can start talking about how good a QB is....Moore thats the alternative ??? wow thats really funny and sad.....

Ajayi would probably appreciate that too.

Oh and for the fantasy fan it's to friggin late now to truly fix the OL...

Deja Vu all over again

danmarino likes this.
  36. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    IDC if all the WRs love him or hate him, he's been terrible and you'll go back 50 years to the start of the 1967 season to find a Dolphins offense this bad. That was a 4 win team. Even in '67 with a rookie QB and with that offense being shutout twice in the first 4 games, they still averaged over 10 ppg. Take away the FGs from this 2017 team and our primary offense is scoring just over 4 ppg.

Defenses aren't worried about Cutler beating them with his play because it's obvious that he's hearing footsteps and that's the real issue with this offense. The receivers didn't get jinxed by a Druid priestess to forget how to run routes or catch balls. Cutler's timing and mechanics are whack and he's playing scared. Re-watch the series where we got the ball on the Titan's 40 yard line and on 1st and 10, Cutler ducks his head, blindly runs into the back of his OLmen, then throws that idiotic INT. He's a wreck and he's sucking the life out of this team.

Cutler simply has to get his crap together and start making positive plays.

37. Walter

Walter Active Member

Aug 6, 2017

Hmmmm

Jets...11 plays....16yds

New Orleans....12 plays .....46yds

Tenn. 25 plays.... 77 yds.

Jay Ajayi stats last three games. Damn Cutler don't you know how to block ? ( and Ajayi is in the upper group in the NFL of RBs )

Just a potential hint ....

38. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    But because your opinion aligns with his - you do right? LOL

Nothing's more nauseating than the "trust anything coaches and players say" routine. Not sure why you're on a forum if you subscribe to it.

dolphin25 likes this.
  39. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Man you're like an echo-chamber.

It was already shown in previous posts that Cutler has had about the average when it comes to time in the pocket to throw. Sadly, defenders are stacking the box because they don't respect him, his arm isn't live anymore, and his mechanics have gone out the window because he doesn't want to step into throws and risk taking any hits.

40. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    You're damn right he's sucking the life out of that unit.

It's virtually all the same players minus Dion Sims and Brendan Albert.

cuchulainn likes this.