1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beck & Parcells' Quarterback Commandments

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Linus, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    dolpns13 likes this.
  2. Breed

Breed New Member

Jan 7, 2008
  3. zach8111

zach8111 New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    thou shalt provide a team around him (beck)

4. sabanhater

sabanhater New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    thou shall throw more than 1 TD in 4 games.

5. billsfaninpeace

billsfaninpeace New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Those Commandments are important, You know they did a big thing on that at Romo on MNF before the Bills cowboys game, and what happens

Romor turns the ball over 6 times. Ironic

6. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    that link is to some CIa thing...anyone have the real link?

7. houtz

houtz New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    The link worked for me.

8. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Cute..
    Too bad there wasn't something about:
    Thou shalt not have an offensive offensive line.
    Thou shalt not have receivers with hands of stone.
    Thou shalt not have runners who can only run through a hole big enough for a truck.

9. Linus

Jan 9, 2008

Really?? It should be a Sun Sentinel blog page..did I do something wrong?

10. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    OK, I got it... That was weird

11. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
  12. Breed

Breed New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    The lack of receiving options is a more legit excuse than the OL.

Yes, there was a lack of talent around Beck, but that doens't mean he should be immune to any criticism.

13. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Dont be a clown... Clowns cant be leaders and run a huddle... Crowder should write that one down for the defense

14. sabanhater

sabanhater New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    in no way am I placing all blame on Beck. I'm a firm supporter in what I think the kid can accomplish

15. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Grazi... I agree, and I am in no way giving him a blank check. I just think he has not had anywhere near an adequate chance to prove anything except he can take a hit. Being where I am, I only saw the Pittsburg game, in the Swamp North. The only thing that proved is that he could stand up, most of the time, when I expected to see alligators and fish coming up from the turf.

I think he needs to get reps with the first team in next years QB schools and in camp, and a line which will give him time to throw the ball in more than a three step and pray drop. The big failure this year was not to start him the last half of the season, good, bad, or ugly, and let the team play. The record was already 0-8, and the major injuries, by and large, had already hit, and it was time to see how Beck would react. We already had a fairly good read on Lemon, and know that he is not "the answer." As much as I defended Cameron because I feel he was hamstrung by the structure of the staff, that decision was a head scratcher at the very least. Now, the team needs to see what Beck can do, and to do that the team needs a solid OL, and some deep changes in the Defense, so that when he does make the inevitable mistake, it's not an automatic score for the other team.

16. I think the biggest tell tale sign about Beck is going to come this off season. Now that he has time playing in a few games and has gotten a feel for what he is facing out there, how is he going to prepare himself for next year. I would to see him watch game films to learn defenses and play executions beter. I would want to see him train on strengthing his physical attributes that he needs to be capable of making those plays. If we see a dedication of that nature I would think Parcells will keep him around around awhile longer to see if he developes, if not we will replace him.

I think his age is going to be the biggest thing against him. Parcells likes to develope QB's very slowly and gradually indoctorine them into the starting postion and I'ld bet that Parcells looks at his age as a negative.

17. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Hey, what are ya Linus, a cop or something? well, are ya? :lol:

Thanks for the link, I hope to see Beck develop this year.

18. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    ???? being sacked 10 times in 3 games isnt the olines fault? If we cant block 4 with 5 and thats not a line issue i then I need to relearn the game of football. If we cant block 7 with 7 then we still have issues. THe oline sucks

19. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Other than the fact that he was a rookie QB?

I knew these posts would begin at some point, though I'm surprised it took this long.

Beck did some good things, Beck did some bad things. The bottom line is that he knows where he needs to make improvements, and by all accounts is doing so. We'll see next year what he's really made of. If we keep the same line and don't make improvements however, we're guaranteed to eat a lot of unnecessary pressures/hurries/hits/turnovers that could easily be avoided with a bit of preparation on the OL side. Even Camarillo can make plays when given the opportunity and we've got to give Beck the opportunity.

dolphindebby likes this.
  20. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    come on bro, beck's a bust. Are you the only one that doesnt realize this :001_rolleyes:

21. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I suck at recognizing talent :( I thought Zach would be a better safety than MLB...

:lol:

22. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    :lol::clap: That made me laugh so hard I almost started to :cry:

I wish we could dig that up just to re-read the responses... Classic

23. Breed

Breed New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    John Beck was sacked once every 11.7 drop backs (117 drop backs, sacked 10 times)

Cleo Lemon was sacked once every 13.36 drop backs (334 drop backs, sacked 25 times)

Trent Green was sacked once every 21.14 drop backs (148 drop backs, sacked 7 times)

It's also worth noting, scrambling quarterbacks are usually sacked more often. Cleo Lemon would be considered a scrambling QB....

24. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
  25. Linus

Jan 9, 2008

Trent Green was playing while the offensive line was performing at its best, had Chambers still, had Ronnie to open up the field and to dump passes off to, and is also a veteran.

Beck was a brand new rookie and it could just be me, but it seemed like the OL played its worst in those few games he started...add on that he played two of the best blitzing teams, didn't have Ronnie at all or even L Booker, all during the short stint in his rookie season.

Then Cleo...he may have gotten sacked less per dropback and maybe even gave us the best chance to win at certain times, but he was still terrible. He had first team snaps ever since Green went down and had started before this year, and still didn't show anything special. I think he actually got sacked more than Beck in avoidable situations with a chance to show off his "elusive" scrambling abilities. I could be wrong, but it seemed Beck was getting hit the instant he dropped back quite a few times.

All in all, none of the QB's did anything great, we only won because of a lucky fg miss, and any of the QB's would have played better with improved OL play, Ronnie & LBooker, and a non-rookie #1 receiver.