1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bears, in need of a spark on ST's, Bench Hester

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Nov 21, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Seeking a special-teams spark, Bears expected to sub Manning for Hester -- chicagotribune.com

Hester has battled some injuries this year but I think the biggest problem for him being a non-factor on ST's is because they're trying to make him their number one WR.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

That and you just don't kick it right at Hester. The colts found that out the hard way :lol:

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    There were more than a few writers and other NFL watchers who pointed out that this might be a problem for the Bears. Using him on offense to much would somewhat negate his explosiveness as a returner and drop his speed back down to catchable standards.
    While that may or may not be entirely true, couples with the injuries its produced an uncharacteristic season for him.

Also consider that there have been other great returners before him, whos glory have lasted maybe 2-3 seasons. Hmmmm ..........

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Most certainly. In my opinion, it limits his explosiveness and long speed because he's asked to run short-area routes which doesn't work to his advantage. Its not what he does. To top off this, I don't think he will ever be a number one and I'm thinking that the Bears coaching staff was amazed by his speed and figured that if a guy like Santana Moss or Steve Smith can do it, so can Devin Hester.

That's true but teams have kicked more to him this year than last year. I truly think that his development or project as a Wide Receiver has hampered his production on Special Teams. However, I think that Daniel Manning can do a good job of returning. Not as good as Hester did but I think he can fill that role well.

5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Could also be part of the equation why Ginn isnt returning everything.

Sorry, but you know the bears have serious issues if are looking at Hester as their #1 WR....