1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Batted passes and interceptions

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pauly, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    People have commented that Tannehill has a lot of batted passes because of passing action. Also RT seems to me to have a higher than average rate of batted passes intercepted.

I have been looking for data, but haven't found anything directly on point.

Does anyone know where to find
    A) Tannehill's % of passes batted at the LOS
    B) The NFL average for % of passes batted at the LOS
    C) The % of RT's batted passes that are intercepted
    D) The NFL average for batted passes that are intercepted

I know the perception is that RT17 has a problem with batted passes being intercepted, I just want to track down the reality.

2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
  3. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    dolphin25 likes this.
  4. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    I think we actually had this discussion a while back and it showed that Tanny did have more passes batted at the LOS than the average (was a while ago, so I could be misremembering). I think Andrew Luck was one who was up there, too? Iirc, Russell Wilson was one who surprisingly didn't have a bunch batted down. Could be wrong on that, though.

5. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It seems that way, heck it started in his very first game ever at Houston. I'm at a loss as to what the cause is, because its not his height, and it doesn't seem to be his motion. I suppose it could be the other team's DL getting a really good push and getting their hands up.

As for the tips turning into picks, I think thats bad luck most of the time. Remember a few years ago at New Orleans, a pass went off of a WRs heel about six inches off the ground and into the arms of a defender? RT has a VERY LOW interception percentage. The fact that he seemingly has a lot of batted passes turned into picks means the rest of his passes are even smarter.

Tin Indian and miami365 like this.
  6. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    It has to be predictability, specifically timing-wise. Being in a predictable offense hasn't helped, but there is probably something to Tannehill himself that is a bit more predictable, whatever that is. Of course rookies are probably generally bad at this because they haven't adapted to the NFL, so Tannehill starting out that way is no surprise (remember it was against JJ Watt too).

7. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    Unlucky 13 likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He telegraphs his passes.

dolphin25 likes this.
  9. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    One thing I've noticed in the last year or two is that he has incorporated throwing at different angles; adjusting to a defender's hand being up and throwing in a different window at the LOS while still being pretty accurate. I think this is something he is becoming more adept at and helps him in some of these situations.

I think Philbin use to blame both the QB and the linemen when the issue of batted passes were brought up.

10. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    He telegraphs his passes so badly that OL who have an almost no time to react can bat his passes yet DBs who have much more time to react can't get there in time to intercept the pass? How is this consistent with what we know that Tannehill has a low interception rate and low bad throw rate?

Again I'm more interested in his rates vis-a-vis the NFL average at this point

Tin Indian, miami365, Fin D and 2 others like this.
  11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Yeah, I don't think that's accurate. It's another one of those "reasons" that supports the old, beat arguments that people on this site have been using for years.

Exactly like Pauly said, it makes no sense that he's telegraphing so badly that oline can bat it down but DBs can't pick it off.

Tin Indian, Fin D and Unlucky 13 like this.
  12. DolphinGreg

DolphinGreg Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 7, 2014
    I would say it's proximity to D-lineman. That makes sense geometrically and fits with what we know about the O-line allowing pressure. I also remember Tannehill having an issue with depth in his drop-back early on. In one way or another there's not enough space between him and the defenders. Not sure how you prove that statistically. Heck, you probably look at batted balls! ;)

Puka-head, MikeHoncho and resnor like this.
  13. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    The DB is not watching the QB, they are typically watching the WR. The DL is watching the QB

cbrad likes this.
  14. Pauly

Nov 29, 2007
    That doesn't explain why Tannehill throws interceptions at lower than the league rate, it is something that applies to all QBs.

However, let me get this straight. According to the doubters:
    a) Tannehill telegraphs his passes allowing the DL to bat them down.
    b) Tannehill locks onto receivers and doesn't look away to fool the DB.
    c) Gnomes steal underpants
    d) Tannehill has one of the lower interception rates in the league.

(a) and (b) are just flat out inconsistent with (d).
    I started this thread to try and get an accurate handle on an area where I believe RT17 is deficient. I'm not trying to be a homer. But can we try to make logically coherent criticisms of his actual strengths and weaknesses.

resnor and Unlucky 13 like this.
  15. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    (a) is not inconsistent with (d) because the number of batted passes that turn into interceptions is extremely low and all that happens at the line of scrimmage.

As far as how (b) and (d) work together, there have to be compensating factors, like throwing more accurately. I do think Tannehill telegraphs too much. People have commented on him locking onto receivers maybe more than he should. But he also has the ability to throw accurately in tight spots. I remember being giddy about seeing that even in his first year, and not every QB can do that.

So none of these are really inconsistent with each other.. although I have some issues with (c) to be honest.

dolphin25 likes this.
  16. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    I think the batted passes are related to QB17s pocket awareness issues, he doesn't see it, just like he doesn't see the rush until too late too much of the time.

17. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    Batted down balls at the line are very seldom intercepted. Now if you are talking batted balls by the DB's or off the WR's those get much more intercepted.

18. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I've seen balls get batted because the defender is reading Tannehill like a book, sure. We've all seen those. I would think that's going to be a problem for any offense that features a lot of short passes though so I think it's something you have to accept if that's your offense. I would think the worst instances would be seen in offenses where you have shoddy protection combined with a lot of short passes. That's kind of what the Dolphins have been for the last 2 years. Tannehill may not be helping matters but I don't necessarily think it's a Tannehill problem. When you look at the Pats for example who do the short passing thing so well, you see a QB who gets the ball out like no one else and protection that's reliably good.

To me, Tannehill should be more of a down-the-field passer however. Watch highlights from Manning in Denver and Wilson in Seattle. Those guys do a little big of timing stuff (namely Manning) but both are looking to attack vertically.

It's just ridiculously hard to do the short passing thing well enough that you look like NE.

VManis and dolphin25 like this.
  19. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    it is much easier to bat a pass down when you are 3 feet from the QB :)

MikeHoncho and VManis like this.
  20. DolphinGreg

Dec 7, 2014
    I said that in my first post, but yeah, it's kind of obvious that if you're trajectory isn't high enough to clear the line than you better have a wide open lane or it better be a lob/toss. Miami's playbook has not always been inspiring. I have never been a huge fan of the 3-yd out route and that's where the majority of these batted balls happen. When you're best option on 3rd and 2 is a quick out because you can't run the ball (and the defense knows it) things tend to get congested.

There are teams that push the ball down the field more (i.e. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Arizona). While it's inherent to the offensive architecture, what's nice is that when you do check it down to the back or a slot guy short, he tends to be relatively open with only 1 defender in the area. We saw Ray Rice make a living on that kind of thing.

When few of your routes are going deep things stay congested in the middle and the check-down, quick-out is not very valuable.

People have used this as a criticism of Tannehill. They say he needs to push the ball down the field more so the defense respects those deeper routes and the underneath stuff is more open. Yes, that's true but it needs to be a part of the offense and so far as I can tell, it really wasn't under Lazor.

resnor, MikeHoncho and dolphin25 like this.
  21. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    We all know that RT has had exceptionally bad guard play over his career. If you were adjust RT's numbers for the higher instances where the guard is the cause of the batted balls, I'd venture to guess that his batted balls figures aren't an issue.

22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It also helps when you can physically grab Dallas Thomas by the ankles and use him as a tennis racket to swat the ball. That's assuming you can't use him to toss directly at Tannehill as he still drops back to pass.