Batman: Arkham Origins

61 replies

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew MemberOP
Apr 9, 2013, 12:32 PM

The next Batman video game is coming on October 25th for Xbox 360, PS3, WiiU and PC. The game is a prequel to Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and it takes place over one night on Christmas Eve where Batman, described as young and unrefined, battles 8 of his classic villains, most of which Batman is meeting for the first time.

The game is being developed by Warner Bros. Games Montreal, not Rocksteady that made the previous 2 games however WB has full access to all of the Rocksteady's codes so hopefully there won't be a difference at all in game play.

I'm pretty excited about the new Batman game. I thought the first 2 games were damn good, especially AC. Hopefully this game will be just as good with a lot of the side missions that made AC so much fun and added to the replay value. Hopefully in this game we will be able to drive the Batmoblie.

Feel free to discuss.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 02:16 PM

Not developed by Rocksteady. Doesn't follow up on the Joker cliffhanger from Arkham City.

I'm pretty hesitant about this one.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Apr 9, 2013, 02:39 PM

"Desides wrote:

Not developed by Rocksteady. Doesn't follow up on the Joker cliffhanger from Arkham City.

I'm pretty hesitant about this one.

Yeah the not developed by Rocksteady does give me a bit of a pause too. I'm in no way a video game expert but if other companies continue to use source codes from previous games that's a good thing right, as I suspect the game play and controls will be/should be pretty much the same, no? Or am I way off?

I don't mind that it's a prequel really though maybe because I really don't remember how AC ended, didn't The Joker die or was it just Clayface pretending to be him? Something like that? I honestly can't remember, I haven't played the game in well over a year or so.

Dolphins1BeatlesDolphins1BeatlesForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 02:46 PM

Wonder if Catwoman will be in it. Arkham City was so great because of such an involved story, plus having the addition of Catwoman levels for a change of pace (my favorite level was when you had to rob those two-face security guards with stealth). I figured they'd make one that took place in all of Gotham City, where you'd get story levels for Batman, Catwoman and then Robin or someone...oh well, should be fun anyway.

1972 Miami Dolphins - The ONLY Perfect NFL Team

K I K O

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 02:56 PM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

Yeah the not developed by Rocksteady does give me a bit of a pause too. I'm in no way a video game expert but if other companies continue to use source codes from previous games that's a good thing right, as I suspect the game play and controls will be/should be pretty much the same, no? Or am I way off?

"The same" is the problem. Arkham City was big jump over Arkham Asylum. Asylum seems primitive by comparison. If it's the same as Arkham City, then it's a step back.

I don't mind that it's a prequel really though maybe because I really don't remember how AC ended, didn't The Joker die or was it just Clayface pretending to be him? Something like that? I honestly can't remember, I haven't played the game in well over a year or so.

Clayface pretended to be Joker to fool Batman. Batman beat Clayface, and Joker died of his TITAN-induced disease.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

Sethdaddy8Sethdaddy8Forum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 02:59 PM

I think the descent from Arkham Asylum continues.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Apr 9, 2013, 03:41 PM

"Dolphins1Beatles wrote:

Wonder if Catwoman will be in it. Arkham City was so great because of such an involved story, plus having the addition of Catwoman levels for a change of pace (my favorite level was when you had to rob those two-face security guards with stealth). I figured they'd make one that took place in all of Gotham City, where you'd get story levels for Batman, Catwoman and then Robin or someone...oh well, should be fun anyway.

I agree with, those side missions were pretty fun and really added to the overall game play. I kind of wish we could play as Robin or Nightwing in the next one but I can't see that happening if this is suppose to be about Batman's journey in becoming a legend. And of course get to drive the Batmoblie too.

The press release said 8 classic villains so if I were to guess: The Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, The Riddler, Two-Face, Mr. Freeze, Bane are probably locks. With the 8th maybe Scarecrow, Ras, Man-Bat or Killer Croc? Kind of hoping it's Man-Bat since he hasn't been in any of the other games as a boss battle yet.

"Desides wrote:

"The same" is the problem. Arkham City was big jump over Arkham Asylum. Asylum seems primitive by comparison. If it's the same as Arkham City, then it's a step back.

Clayface pretended to be Joker to fool Batman. Batman beat Clayface, and Joker died of his TITAN-induced disease.

Oh ok yeah I did remember the end of AC then.

And yes I agree about the big jump from AA to AC, especially in the boss battles.

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 05:18 PM

It's already confirmed that Deathstroke and Black Mask are in it.

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 05:19 PM
ether79ether79New Member
Apr 9, 2013, 07:39 PM

"Not So Fast wrote:

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/batman-arkham-origins/batman-1.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/gallery/batman-arkham-origins/batman-2.jpg

Wow the devs are getting really loose with the term "classic". Those two are pretty disappointing choices. Sadly I'm going to have to pick this up day 1 as my son heard about it at school and he is a Batman freak.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 07:42 PM

"ether79 wrote:

Wow the devs are getting really loose with the term "classic". Those two are pretty disappointing choices. Sadly I'm going to have to pick this up day 1 as my son heard about it at school and he is a Batman freak.

Those are actually really good choices, IMO.

The bad decision is the setting as an origin title rather than as a continuation of Arkham City, IMO. Looks like we'll never know what Azrael was talking about… unless Rocksteady is working on that game right now.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

ether79ether79New Member
Apr 9, 2013, 07:46 PM

"Desides wrote:

Those are actually really good choices, IMO.

The bad decision is the setting as an origin title rather than as a continuation of Arkham City, IMO. Looks like we'll never know what Azrael was talking about… unless Rocksteady is working on that game right now.

Black Mask is fine, but I wouldn't consider him classic personally, and deathstroke to me is just a poor choice, but yes I agree with you 100, I want to see a continuation. Give me Azrael and Scarecrow, and like Ray Finkel said, i would've loved a side missions with Nightwing.

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 08:08 PM

"ether79 wrote:

Wow the devs are getting really loose with the term "classic". Those two are pretty disappointing choices. Sadly I'm going to have to pick this up day 1 as my son heard about it at school and he is a Batman freak.

I'm happy to see Black Mask. Deathstroke will be fun to fight. But I do agree that they aren't necessarily classic.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 08:35 PM

"ether79 wrote:

Black Mask is fine, but I wouldn't consider him classic personally, and deathstroke to me is just a poor choice, but yes I agree with you 100, I want to see a continuation. Give me Azrael and Scarecrow, and like Ray Finkel said, i would've loved a side missions with Nightwing.

I don't like Deathstroke, but I think he'll be good in this game. Black Mask is underrated.

The classics will still be there, but I'm not sure that "classic" should be synonymous with "good and preferable".

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

ether79ether79New Member
Apr 9, 2013, 09:06 PM

"Desides wrote:

I don't like Deathstroke, but I think he'll be good in this game. Black Mask is underrated.

The classics will still be there, but I'm not sure that "classic" should be synonymous with "good and preferable".

not in all instances definitely. But the development of Joker v Batman, and the catwoman, Batman dynamic would be fun to me. Deathstroke will be a fun matchup but not anything I think about at all in the Batman universe.

VanDolPhanVanDolPhanSupporter
Apr 9, 2013, 09:37 PM

http://www.gamespot.com/news/rocksteadys-next-batman-game-a-stylized-prequel-report-6386420

Looks like they are using 2 studios to amp up development. Rocksteady making a 2nd prequel based on his first encounter with the Joker.

I have a contact at WB games in Montreal.....I should poke her ;p

Not So FastNot So FastForum Veteran
Apr 9, 2013, 09:40 PM

"VanDolPhan wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/rocksteadys-next-batman-game-a-stylized-prequel-report-6386420

Looks like they are using 2 studios to amp up development. Rocksteady making a 2nd prequel based on his first encounter with the Joker.

I have a contact at WB games in Montreal.....I should poke her ;p

Poke her hard

Apr 9, 2013, 11:18 PM

It seems they only made this a prequel because people want to see the Joker in another Batman game.

MonstBlitz;2232016 wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if he is retained. Jeff Ireland is the nightmare that won't end. The **** stain you cannot flush. The Herpes for which there is no cure.

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Apr 10, 2013, 12:33 AM

"Frumundah Finnatic wrote:

It seems they only made this a prequel because people want to see the Joker in another Batman game.

But mark said he was done as the voice. If he's not coming back, I don't want the joker in the game.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Apr 10, 2013, 07:36 AM

"VanDolPhan wrote:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/rocksteadys-next-batman-game-a-stylized-prequel-report-6386420

Looks like they are using 2 studios to amp up development. Rocksteady making a 2nd prequel based on his first encounter with the Joker.

I have a contact at WB games in Montreal.....I should poke her ;p

I don't know, this article was from July of 2012 and it certainly sounds exactly like Arkham Origins with the game being a prequel about Batman's first encounter with The Joker. It doesn't sound like 2 seperate games are being made.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Apr 10, 2013, 07:38 AM

"Not So Fast wrote:

It's already confirmed that Deathstroke and Black Mask are in it.

Black Mask should be fun. I'm kind of glad they're using at least some villains we haven't "battled" in previous Batman games.

DesidesDesidesForum Veteran
Apr 10, 2013, 08:21 AM

"finsincebirth wrote:

But mark said he was done as the voice. If he's not coming back, I don't want the joker in the game.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Is he done voice acting Joker because there aren't any opportunities to do so, or because he's retiring from the role? Two different things.

@desides01

"Not you." — Tywin Lannister

FIfinsincebirthForum Veteran
Apr 10, 2013, 08:57 AM

"Desides wrote:

Is he done voice acting Joker because there aren't any opportunities to do so, or because he's retiring from the role? Two different things.

My understanding was he said before AC released that he was done with the role. That was why they handled the character the way they did, I thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Apr 10, 2013, 09:16 AM

"Desides wrote:

Is he done voice acting Joker because there aren't any opportunities to do so, or because he's retiring from the role? Two different things.

I think it's because he's retiring from the role. He said he would be the voice of The Joker again if WB made a cartoon version of "The Killing Joke" but outside of that he's done.

Fin DFin DForum Veteran
Apr 10, 2013, 09:22 AM

"finsincebirth wrote:

My understanding was he said before AC released that he was done with the role. That was why they handled the character the way they did, I thought.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

"Ray Finkle wrote:

I think it's because he's retiring from the role. He said he would be the voice of The Joker again if WB made a cartoon version of "The Killing Joke" but outside of that he's done.

There should have been a national day of mourning, just like there should be the day Kevin Conroy hangs it up.