1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Jackson - Sports Buzz 10/1

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RoninFin4, Oct 1, 2013.

1. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, heads have rolled after the loss. Miami waived FB Tyler Clutts and S Kelcie McCray today. I'm at somewhat of a loss as to why Miami continues to be stubborn and play Daniel Thomas as much as they do. Lamar Miller has shown better pass-pro the past 2 weeks.

Kevin Coyle sounds like he knows he was outfoxed by a wide margin last night, as he admits he didn't put guys in good positions. Hopefully, that's rectified this week.

Can't say I'm too surprised Taylor got the nod over Davis this week. Position flexibility.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-sherman-coyle-address-dolphins-problems.html

Two players that, IMO, shouldn't have starting spots moving out of the Saints game: John Jerry and Olivier Vernon. John Jerry was a catastrophe all game last night, and it's pretty clear that Derrick Shelby is better than Olivier Vernon, at least as a pure DE. I think Vernon could be used differently and prove to be more effective than he has been thus far.

gafinfan, dolfan22, Bpk and 3 others like this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm a little bit surprised about them releasing Tyler Clutts, but I wonder if they don't think they're better off with Clay at fullback and Sims at TE than a Clutts/Clay combo.

3. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Yep. Tyler Clutts and Kelcie McCray were the obvious choices to be cut after that debacle of a game. Those 2 guys should hang their heads in shame for the poor pass protection and pass plays they gave up. Message ends. :pity:

4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    With McCray I imagine it has to do with health. He was the 11th defensive back and the rookies are ready to go now.

Boik14 and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  5. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Is this the same Sims that caught the TD in the Falcons game and was invisible in yesterdays game?

Bpk likes this.
  6. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I agree with that probably being the case. They may also want to continue increasing Michael Egnew's reps.

7. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I would say maybe it is time to play Yeatman at right tackle. As far as the issues on defense, I thought Vernon actually played pretty well. Coaching is behind a lot of the foulness last night. Jerry has not looked good. He didn't appear to play well last week and was pretty "weak" Monday.

8. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    You mean his blocking by that i presume?

9. FanMarino

Nov 24, 2007
    Yeatman has to be one of the biggest mysteries on the entire squad. Is this his 3rd season?

10. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think Egnew's overall game has improved. He's been mixed into the offense more and more as the weeks have gone by. Specifically, I think his blocking has probably improved more than anything else, but his overall game has improved.

11. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If anything, I'd start thinking about seeing if Nate Garner is a guy you can look at as a long(er)-term right tackle. Maybe you can get Danny Watkins ready coming out of the bye to challenge John Jerry...but that's pretty wishful thinking on my part.

12. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS

Been curious about what the hold up with Watkins getting reps for Jerry is myself. Sucks that Louis wasn't able to recover from the knee injury. Hoping to see Watkins after the bye, if not sooner.

13. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Am I the only one who thinks we are getting out coached at the start of every game but things change in the second half? Coyle admits it this week, but it seems to be the norm to me.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Garner is ahead of Watkins, problem is if you insert Garner, there goes your C/G/T backup

15. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Abso-****ing-lutely.

I've been banging that drum since Clutts appeared and stalled the offense our whenever he came in (other than pure goalline stuff). Sims is a far better option, though his whiff on that seam pass last night was disappointing. The offense as a whole moves better when he is out there than when Clutts was.

16. Bpk

Honestly, I'm surprised we have not seen him and Clay being targeted in the passing game at the same time in 12 personnel.

17. Bpk

I think Philbin is a great coach, but Payton is better at the Offensive design than Sherman is, imo.

And Rob Ryan is a bit better than Coyle.

PLus Brees is better than Tannehill.

And so on and so forth.

It accumulates into a loss.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  18. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Sarcasm duly noted. Yessireebob, Clutts and McCray cost us that game last night. They were the obvious choices to be cut. Clutts played 4 snaps on offense, and McCray played on STs only.

CWBIII likes this.
  19. MrClean

In reputation only. Do you honestly believe Ryan could have coordinated a defense that would have been more effective against Brees and the Saints offense?

Stitches and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  20. MrClean

Clutts played 4 snaps on offense. Yeah, he was the one that bogged the offense down. I heard that on that 3rd and an inch play, it was originally gonna be a QB sneak behind our twin of an All Pro Center, but Clutts talked them out of it in the huddle to try to that slow developing outside run to Thomas.

CWBIII likes this.
  21. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, have to wonder if this does mean Egnew does rotate into a role on the offense and Clay spends more time in the backfield.

22. MrClean

PFF gave our two highest overall defensive grades to OV and Odrick. +2.1 and 2.0 respectively.

As for Jerry, IMO, both tackles played worse.

CWBIII and unluckyluciano like this.
  23. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I'm sorry, but Ryan is not better than Coyle. like they said on the radio, this will be the first year ever as DCoordinator that Ryan will end up with a winning record. While that's not all his fault, it is a reflection of his defenses.

MrClean likes this.
  24. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Other than OV's sack and another hurry, he didn't do much. Do they have separate grades against the run and pass? I'm not sure how you can say anyone was better than John Jerry last night.

25. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That is completely false. Rob Ryan's unit is better than Miami's unit right now, by a wide margin, and the Saints are missing what, 4 starters?

They're better than Miami in total defense. Saints are 6th (304.5 ypg), Miami is 26th (395.2 ypg)

And in passing defense. Saints are 5th (192.2 ypg), Miami is 24th (296.8 ypg)

And in scoring defense. Saints are 5th (13.8 ppg), Miami is 16th (22.8 ppg)

And in 3rd down percentage, Saints have an edge of 35% vs. Miami's 36% conversion allowed rate.

And in sacks 12 to 11.

The only edge Miami holds defensively over New Orleans is in rush defense, Miami's 10th (98.5 ypg) and New Orleans is 22nd (112.2 ypg), and that's really a misnomer. Miami's average was up near 110ypg until they played New Orleans last night, who only rushed for 68 yards. But they didn't really need to run.

26. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Call me a pretend psychoanalyst but this statement by Philbin tells me he's already fed up with the "why wasn't your number one receiver more involved" questions. He essentially asserted that Mike Wallace had plenty of chances to produce, and then covered his implication by saying that Wallace did well in the game when pretty much anyone with eyes should've been able to tell he was not doing well.

Remember, Philbin did a lot of talking in 2012 about how he does not like the idea of having a number one receiver with all the expectations that entails. That was supposed to be a big part of the reason they ditched one of the best wide receivers in the game, Brandon Marshall.

27. Third Man

Third Man Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Compared to all those times Kevin Coyle has had a winning record.

28. Third Man

Nov 10, 2010
    FWIW I think McCray's release might have more to do with the fact that the rookie CBs are getting healthy than anything, allowing the team to move Wilson to a backup safety role.

29. MrClean

Completely false?? That is an exaggeration. So we are going to base the ability of both as a coordinator on just the 4 games this season? That seems rather illogical to me.
    Rob Ryan has been getting DC jobs around the league for years, and never fields a top ten unit. Maybe he will this year. Coyle's first season as a DC was last year, and Miami was top 10 in points allowed.
    I take that back. In 9 years as a DC, he has had one top 5 unit in yards allowed, never top 10 in points allowed. He may this year, but this year isn't over yet.
    IMO, he isn't a patch on his twin brother's *** as a defensive mind, and gets jobs based mostly on name.

30. MrClean

Last year was his first as a DC. Miami allowed the 7th fewest points. That is a pretty good start for a first time DC.

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  31. MrClean

OV had a sack and 4 hurries according to them. 1.9 grade in run defense and 0.9 in pass rush. Odrick was 3.2 in run defense and -0.9 in pass rush.

You're not sure how I can say anyone was better than Jerry? I did not say that. I said I thought Clabo and Martin were worse. Clabo allowed a sack, 2 hits and 4 hurries. Martin allowed 2 sacks and 2 hurries. Jerry allowed 1 hit and 1 hurry. Jerry was worse as a run blocker, but Clabo and Martin weren't great either. IMO, Clabo and Martin were worse pass blocking than Jerry was run blocking.

32. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    All other things aside I'd take that all day long.

33. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    How much talent did his defenses in Oakland, Cleveland, and Dallas have compared to Miami's? Going presently off this year, considering Ryan's with a new team and Coyle's defense has 5 new starters (Vernon, Odrick, Ellerbe, Wheeler, and Grimes compared to positions played last year) I think it's fair to say that Rob Ryan is doing a better job than Kevin Coyle's to this point. I don't think you'd find many people that would argue New Orleans has more talent right now than Miami on the defensive side of the ball; yet Miami's pretty far behind them, and even behind their own marks from 2012. That's not good.

I think it's pretty clear that Coyle got outfoxed Monday night, and there are quite a few holes that were exposed to a greater degree than previously shown by the Saints. Let's see whose defense is better come the end of the year. I hate to say it, but I'll bet on Rob Ryan's.

34. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I am surprised to see McCray released as I thought he had shown well in preseason, progressing each week. Maybe we can get him back to the practice squad as I believe he is eligible. That's two spots open for whom?

35. MrClean

The Saints played 3 of 4 games at home so far too. That they have perhaps the best offense in the league makes things much easier for the DC, constantly playing with a lead. I think Dallas had as much talent on D when Ryan was there as Miami has now. Cannot recall the defensive rosters of Cleveland and Oakland back then.
    My question however was "Do you honestly believe Ryan could have coordinated a defense that would have been more effective against Brees and the Saints offense?"
    Since you adamantly stated that question was completely false, I guess that means you think Ryan could slow down the Saints offense better than Coyle did.
    I stand by my statement that Ryan's defensive units throughout his career, as a whole, have not equaled his reputation, what with coming from the Ryan family of reputedly great defensive minds. Buddy, yes. Rex, yes. Rob, not so much.

36. MrClean

Maybe they swap places with he and Kovacs, if McCray clears waivers.

37. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Knowing your offense is absolutely going to capitalize on every turnover, every 3 and out, and consistently put up points whenever they get the ball must be a pretty sweet gig. Coyle would probably look like a god as their DC cause he could blitz all day long. Get burned for a TD? No problem. Your offense is up by 20 anyway

38. Third Man

Nov 10, 2010
    I wasn't disputing that. All I was saying that Ohio Finatic's line of argument about judging Rob Ryan from the overall win/loss record of the team's he's been a DC of was asinine.

39. toto

toto Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Vellmar, Germany
    In his last 2 jobs (Cleveland, Dallas) as DC Rob Ryan was doing a great job in his first year but came backt to earth in his 2nd year.
    That might have more to do with motivation than his DC skills. Just like his brother as a HC they live on their brouhaha style which works for 1-2 years.
    As a pure DC he is average, maybe good but not graet imho. We'll see how he does next year in NO...

40. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I'm guessing change will come during the by week, no time to mix it up during a short week IMV.