1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Barry Jackson Dolphins six-pack

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by jim1, May 22, 2010.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    ESPN's K.C. Joyner, who studies every NFL play, said Merling was at the point of attack on 59 running plays in '09 and won only four. That 6.8 win percentage ``is unacceptable,'' Joyner said. Among Miami's other linemen, Langford was next-lowest at 9.3, with Randy Starks at 19.8 percent, Jason Ferguson 15.3, Paul Soliai 14.5 and Tony McDaniel 13.3.

Profootballfocus.com had a more positive assessment of Langford and Merling, ranking them seventh and 15th among 39 qualifying 3-4 defensive ends. Langford, who has 4.5 career sacks (2.5 in '09), said he wasn't used on most third-down packages and wants to improve his pass rush and get more third-down snaps. ``This year, I'm trying to be an elite player,'' he said.

• Again, Soliai is carrying too much weight. He said last week he's at 357 pounds and wants to get to 345, close to where coaches prefer. His roster spot is far from assured; Ryan Baker is pushing him.

• We hear the Dolphins were contacted to gauge their interest in Cowboys receiver Patrick Crayton but were noncommittal. Crayton, who was given permission to seek a trade and has a history with this Dolphins regime, ranked eighth in the NFL in yards per catch and ninth in punt returns in '09. Acquiring him would make sense if one of Miami's top four receivers has a significant injury this summer and if Dallas accepts little in return or cuts him from a deal worth $2 million in 2010.

• The Dolphins like the speed of free safety Chris Clemons -- who is working with the first team -- but want to see improvement in making the right reads and communicating them quickly. ``They want me to be more vocal'' making calls ``and I am now,'' Clemons said. Coach Tony Sparano said Clemons has ``got a little proving to do back there to his teammates'' so they trust what he calls out before the snap.

• Sparano made clear cornerback Will Allen will have every chance to regain a starting job; Sean Smith appears more at risk than Vontae Davis. ``I see that threesome competing against each other,'' Sparano said. ``We'll figure out who the best two guys are.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/...mi-dolphins-merling-out-to.html#ixzz0oi1ls6dJ

dolfan7171, MikeHoncho, eric and 5 others like this.
  2. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Paul Soliai wants to go from 357 to 345? 12 whole pounds lol! Who would notice? Thats like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like Crayton, but picking him up means the end in miami of a 3 or 4 good Wr/Kr prospects, to me they let the Cowpokes keep him and see what we have in the RGM's and Julius Pruitt's on the roster.

To me, Will Allen knocking Sean Smith out of a starting role makes -0- sense, Smith is not a nickel corner, and they aren't going to move his poor tackling to Free Safety...as far as I know anyway...

Pandarilla likes this.
  4. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    I think that is if Will Allen doesn't work out at Free Safety. If hes not playing FS and hes a better CB than Smith (I think he is) it makes sense to sit Smith and play Allen. We need the best 11 on the field, whatever that takes.

5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Will Allen would have to beat out Sean Smith by a huge margin to steal the corner job back. If they are anywhere close Smith keeps it. I look at it this way. You have to weigh in whether you would rather have an older guy who is probably not long in this league over a young corner who needs to be out there to develop as a player and in the tandem with Vontae. I still think you go with youth as the starter and put the veteran in the nickel spot. At least in this situation.

As for Will Allen at FS I was totally into the idea till we lost Jones.
    I'm starting to lean back toward seeing him at S now that I have read about Clemons back there. We know he is fast and all but he looked lost in coverage last season playing part time. We have heard he has to prove to his team mates he can make the right read calls. Scary stuff!