1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Balance of Power shifting to NFC?

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Sethdaddy8, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I know its early in the season but:

The Cowpokes dismantled the high-hoped Browns.

The Bears are sticking it to the Colts.

The Panthers take one IN San Diego.

Eagles look strong. G-Men look strong.

Pats and Jags look weak.

Is the run over?

Just sayin.:confused2:

2. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    i was just saying that to my dad...only thing that helps afc is supposbly one of the better teams in the nfcseattle got beat badly to buffalo

3. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I disagree. The NFC is improved, but it's still not better than the AFC. Not yet. Ask me again after week 8 and after the 2009 draft.

Seattle is a horrible road team; the Panthers made a lucky last-second play on a day when LT was not LT; the Eagles are always good, but the question is whether or not they can avoid their annual injuries to McNabb and Westbrook; the Saints still lack defense, and they didn't get all of their offensive playmakers involved; the Browns were destined to lose but still have a clear shot in that division; and the Giants looked like the regular season Giants, not the Super Bowl Giants.

I think it's better to say that the AFC is in a state of transition. The NFC is still wide-open.

4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I'll make it simple: no.

Why do I say that: Well because right now a NFC team are the defending Super Bowl Champs so they are already the better conference.

HysterikiLL likes this.
  5. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's easily the worst way of deciding whether the sum total of 16 teams is better than 16 other teams.

Desides likes this.
  6. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    If you are talking about my assessment I would have to disagree. Because you can have all the great teams you want but if you don't win the Super Bowl then it means nothing. You are the best team in your league not the total NFL. Its simple, the best conference is the one who's team wins the Super Bowl as that is the ultimate litmus test.

Truly I don't see another way to gauge which conference is the best. Nothing is above winning the Super Bowl.

HysterikiLL likes this.
  7. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Thank you for this. I am growing tired of all the 'best' and 'greatest' tags that are thrown around, when all of this is really subjective water-cooler banter. It would be great to know the best of everything, but it isn't really possible.

To assume that the AFC is the strongest conference is quite naive. The Pats are great, the Colts too, but the Giants are the current Super Bowl champs, and the count this week of NFC vs AFC teams is 3-1.

sking29 likes this.
  8. sking29

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Finally someone who gets me. :lol:

9. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Ah yes one week off course proves all.

How about the record of the NFC versus the AFC for the whole year. That's usually the litmus test. After all you said which conference is better, not which conference has the best elite team.

10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Right now I would say the Pittsburgh Steelers are probably the best team in the AFC on paper, but they have a really brutal schedule this year, and their domination over the Texans may have just been a one week thing.

The Cowboys, Eagles and Giants look good in a very tough NFC East. The Bears looked pretty good last night, and Orton looks much better than Rex Grossman. It will be interesting to see the NFL power rankings, but the NFC should most of the top spots for now.