1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Baker Mayfield

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Mar 11, 2018.

1. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I can definitely see both sides to it. Getting drunk and rambunctious is common at his age. By the same token, he was being enough so that police felt the need to intervene. That's not something that happens to most people.

I think individually sure you can explain everything away. He's a competitor, first, etc. As a whole? I think it is fair to question him. Whether he is immature or just hot headed, he is not what is "traditionally" is considered a QB mentality. I think for that you are looking at the Allen and Darnold mold. Rosen has his own concerns in a general sense.

None of that is to say he might not be worth the pick, but it can' just be dismissed. We just got did of Landry in part for letting his hotheaded behavior cost us.

Irishman and Base of Gase like this.
  2. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Baker Mayfield is taller than both Drew Brees and Russell Wilson. Height has proven to not be a huge issue. Height just doesn't impede the good QB's and doesn't help the bad ones. It's not like college players are significantly shorter than NFL ones. Mayfield is playing against NFL-sized linemen right now. That rationale is something oft repeated by old dinosaurs like Bill Polian (who called the 6'3" Lamar Jackson short) while having no empirical backing.

Mike Glennon is a giant and he sucks. Tyrod Taylor is a limited QB, but he's the same height as Mayfield and has won games in the NFL. Aaron Rodgers is only an inch taller. The best short QB's are ones with great footwork who can work the pocket and find passing lanes. Chad Henne was 6'3" and got a lot of passes batted down because he was predictable and couldn't look off defenders.

As for someone saying he doesn't have good speed...what does that have to do with his ability to pass?

danmarino and Ohio Fanatic like this.
  3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

99.9% of college students aren't crotch-grabbing, flag-planting, pass throwing big men on campus.

Irishman and danmarino like this.
  4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    hahahahahaha

I mean to ask if I have anything relevant to say while you jump off the semantic deep end, is pretty funny.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Irishman, muskrat21 and danmarino like this.
  5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Mayfield is head, shoulders, and crotch above the rest of those guys.

6. Base of Gase

Base of Gase Active Member

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    So, nothing...

Which perfectly encapsulates your predictable barking hyena shtick.

7. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    You really have to take what he did in context.

He got drunk (Yes, 99% of all college students do that) and was in an argument with someone over Chinese food. What he did was wrong, but he was drinking and not thinking right. I don't think this incident should cause concern about him.

Irishman likes this.
  8. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

The institute’s fact sheet on college drinking, includes more information and is available here. Keep these caveats in mind, though: Though the fact sheet was published last year, some of the data comes from studies more than a decade ago and the figures below are estimates. Furthermore, some campus health workers have questioned the statistics and suggested that drinking prevention programs may have reduced some of these numbers.

This is from the institute’s 2012 fact sheet:

Drinking at college has become a ritual that students often see as an integral part of their higher education experience. Many students come to college with established drinking habits, and the college environment can exacerbate the problem. Research shows that more than 80 percent of college students drink alcohol, and almost half report binge drinking in the past 2 weeks.

Virtually all college students experience the effects of college drinking—whether they drink or not.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...students-really-drink/?utm_term=.32db254aa469

He's not lying. Why are you so uninformed?

9. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    You seemingly have presented no facts. Just your opinion.

Irishman likes this.
  10. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Comprehend, much?

He wrote that 99% of college students get drunk and run around. If you're not mature enough to deduce what he's talking about you should just not post. It seems that everyone but you know what he meant. It's very rude to call someone a liar, when they are not, and then your attitude form the beginning was just all wrong.

11. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    No, you didn't. You took a statement and added to it in order to call a person a liar.

Irishman likes this.
  12. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Being charged and resisting arrest isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact.

Face reality like a man.

13. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    The figure 99.9% was stated by Boomer, not me, and it makes him a liar by default.

Keep twisting in the breeze...

14. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Even if he didn’t mean it literally, he still said that figure (which is a lie), and it was intentionally designed to diminish the crimes that Baker Mayfield committed in his past.

What’s rude is unsuccessfully trying to inject subterfuge, fabrication, and distortion to fit a narrative.

15. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Neat article, but nowhere in that article does it talk about public intoxication, disorderly conduct, and college students trying to run from law enforcement, while resisting arrest in the process.

He lied about what happened, and he lied about the percentage of college students that are in the same position that Baker Mayfield found himself in.

Why are you so oblivious, and a fevered apologist for a kid that was arrested and resisted arrest from the police?

16. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    you are inferring that bc he got drunk once and was arrested at college that he's a "bad apple" and shouldn't be drafted high because poor moral character. Meanwhile there are other players morally worse than him in the league drafted in the first round.

danmarino likes this.
  17. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Nope.

Boomer wrote that 99% of college kids drink and run around.

You made up the rest.

You're the liar

Irishman likes this.
  18. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Nowhere is Boomer's posts did he claim that 99% of college students get arrested for those things.

You made it up. He said that 99% of college students drink and run around.

You're a liar.

19. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    I’m not inferring anything, other than I don’t like Baker Mayfield predominantly because of the past off the field issues.

Players in the league that have done worse things, has absolutely nothing to do with the above.

20. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Liar

Boomer stated that he wasn't worried about Baker drinking and doing stupid things (paraphrasing here for you and deducing things from context because you're not mature enough) because 99% of college students drink and do stupid things.

He's right. Some get caught and some don't, but nearly all college students drink and do stupid things.

You're a liar.

21. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Resisting arrest was dropped.

Liar

22. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Sigh.

Since you're not understanding what a figure of speech is, I'm going to illustrate what you're doing wrong, by doing it back to you:

You're a liar, hyenas don't bark nor did I type "bark". Why are you lying?

Do you see it yet?

Hiruma78 and danmarino like this.
  23. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    99% of college kids don’t drink and run around, nor do they behave like Baker Mayfield. Boomer lied, and it’s in black and white if the English language is your native tongue.

I’m sorry that you dislike reality.

24. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    i understand why the club members don't come to the common folk forums that much anymore...

Irishman and danmarino like this.
  25. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    I see you acting like a lapdog.

Yes, I see.

26. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    It doesn’t matter whether or not that it was dropped, the fact remains is that he initially resisted arrest and was charged with it. Thanks, but no thanks.

Spin doctoring.

27. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

FinD: "Base of Gase, if you don't grow up I'm going to whip you with a wet noodle!"

Base of Gase: *GASP!* "FinD, did you threaten me? I'm calling the cops and reporting you to the mods!"

Pauly and Fin D like this.
  28. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    lol...

99%<<<< Figure of speech

The overwhelming majority of college students drink and run around.

Grow up

29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok, you're content being a semantic douche who refuses to understand the problem with being overly literal. Good luck with that in life.

danmarino likes this.
  30. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Sure it matters. He never resisted.

Why do you want to lie? Why are you spinning?

I guess every person found innocent in court is really guilty because they were charged, huh?

Grow up

31. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Baker Mayfield had trouble with the law, it’s best to just accept that fact.

32. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Yet, they don’t get arrested or resist arrest when confronted by police.

You can’t defense the indefensible.

Sorry, pal.

33. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Sure, thing hyena. Keep at your passive aggressive troll routine, with the pinch of snark.

Best of luck with your God complex?

34. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Ever speed?

Law breaker

Irishman likes this.
  35. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    He didn't resist arrest.

Liar

36. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    Well, he did resist Dan. Otherwise it would have never been on the arrest report. Having it dropped after the fact, doesn’t mean that it never transpired.

I don’t care about guilt or innocence, the fact remains is that happened to him.

37. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    That has nothing to do with Baker Mayfield, nor absolve him of his past transgressions. I’m not the one being considered by NFL teams.

38. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Nope. Once more you're ignorant.

"Every person who knowingly resists, by the use of force or violence, any executive officer in the performance of his duty, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

R.L.1910, § 2151."

Oklahoma considers fleeing and resisting as two separate things. (Some states say that fleeing is resisting). The video clearly showed that he fled, but never resisted. Thus, the charges were dropped.

Liar

Irishman likes this.
  39. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Your inability to understand nuance is only going to make life much harder for you.

Irishman likes this.
  40. Base of Gase

Apr 21, 2017
    NY
    On the arrest report, it was stated that he resisted arrest. Whether that stuck, or subsequently dropped (which it was) has no bearing on whether he did that. He broke the law, and did those actions.

You’re doing exactly what Boomer did, and trying to soften the crimes and actions committed by Mayfield. The fact remains is that he messed up, badly.

How much is Boomer paying you to be his bodyguard, and act as his mouth piece in his absence? It’s adorable.

Keep it going, puppet.