1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad News

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by danmarino, Jun 14, 2018 at 8:47 AM.

1. danmarino

danmarino Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    First, let me just say that I'm not asking for sympathy or anything like that. The main reason I'm posting this here is in the hopes that I may be able to help someone down the line.

The bad news: On Tuesday I was diagnosed with skin cancer. The dermatologist cut off a few lesions (and when I say lesions I mean things so small I never really noticed them) right then and there after inspecting me. However, and due to many more on my face and arms (again, not really noticeable to the naked eye) he said I will have to go through a round of chemo.

The good news: The cancer is not melanoma so it is highly treatable and not nearly as aggressive. Also, the chemo is something called Efudex which is topical and not systemic. So no hair loss, etc that people usually think of with chemo. However, I will most likely go through around 2 months of extreme pain, unsightliness, and fatigue. Here are some pictures of people using Efudex:

upload_2018-6-14_7-40-25.png
    upload_2018-6-14_7-40-45.png
    upload_2018-6-14_7-41-7.png

Basically, what this chemo does is melt the entire top layer of skin off. The body will then, hopefully, start anew with fresh, non-cancerous, skin and I'll look 10 years younger! lol

So, I'm 44 years old, have 5 young kids and a wife. I was born and raised in Florida, have Irish and Scottish heritage. Always fished, surfed, sailed, sunbathed, etc, etc....I always thought, I'll be OK and rarely used sunscreen. This treatment is better than the alternative, but boy do I wish I'd used more sunscreen and covered up in the sun more. So all you young guys/gals, no matter your skin tone/color, take care of your skin!

Stitches, ToddPhin, Boik14 and 2 others like this.
  2. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Yikes, get better, my man! I had wuss skin cancer, a basal cell carcinoma, so I am probably on path to need something like that too. Dang viking heritage! I have had a friend go through that, and it wasn’t fun, but he said it was worse than it looked also. I hope so...I’ll be praying for you to have a quick recovery!

danmarino likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Just a Guy Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Get better man! Best wishes on a total and quick recovery.

Solid advice on staying out of the sun and/or being careful. I've never been one to enjoy it, and I've even worn exercise shirts in the pool or ocean since my early 20s. I worry for my sister and a few other family members who not only spend their lives in the sun, but even still use tanning beds.

danmarino likes this.
  4. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    I hope you meant to write it looked worse than it was? lol....

But yeah, I've been reading where some people are able to get by with taking Advil, but some people need pain patches and stuff. I hope I'm one of the former people.

And thanks for the prayers!

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  5. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014

I've never used a tanning bed, but mainly because I lived in Florida. lol....Show your sister these pictures. It may scare here enough to stay out of those things.

Thanks for the well wishes.

6. eltos_lightfoot

eltos_lightfoot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Hahahaha whoops, yes I did mean to write what you said!!! Ha!!!

It looked worse than it actually felt.

danmarino likes this.
  7. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

My best wishes and prayers to you.

My Dad had skin carcinomas and my uncle (his brother) died from metastatic melanoma. I understand your caution and have regular skin checks myself.

I am glad to hear of the newest treatment. While very hard on you, the reports on it are very encouraging. Again best wishes and my prayers.

eltos_lightfoot and danmarino like this.
  8. danmarino

Sep 4, 2014
    Sorry to hear about your uncle. I was extremely happy to hear that non of the cancer is melanoma.

Thanks for your prayers.

eltos_lightfoot and Ohiophinphan like this.
  9. Boik14

Boik14 Admin Staff Member Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Damn dude, sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully you get well soon.

danmarino likes this.