1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B Volin: Signs point to a Reloaded WildCat in 2011

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 9, 2011.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thed...ing-not-retiring-the-wildcat-offense-in-2011/

Ah, the vanity of Head Coaches in the NFL, they have "signature" things, like Buddy Ryan with the "46" defense, or Andy Reid with the WCO, for Sparano it is the WildCat.

Which for me, I've always been clear on, until you have a WC Qb who can pass effectively it will remain a hit or miss type of effort, 3 yds a play or 40yds a play, with little in between as NFL Defensive Coordinators now have a book of techniques to deal with the power running the formation offers.

However, there is no such book on passing out of the formation as that element defeats the usual "crash the DE down and blitz the Corner Back" philosophy that has seen the WC's production decline over the last 2yrs.

Volin does point out something "we" have known, Thomas and Clay both have WC experience, Pouncey is a good prospect to pull and block effectively for the plays the WC requires to be effective, but we already knew that much.

WC Reloaded in 2011..good or bad thing?

Should they try to add a Brad Smith into the mix via FA?

2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Yippeee.

3. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I am all for it. Thomas may give us the threat to hold the crash blitz in check. Also, with Daboll's new offense that teams are going to have to familiarize themselves with, preparing for the wildcat will limit their progress with that. If we can connect with a few Thomas completions out of the wildcat early in the season it will benefit this team greatly making opposing defenses respect the pass option, opening the run.

padre31 likes this.
  4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

In the awesome MNF comeback win over the Jest, the one where Ginn caught that long TD pass over Revis, Ronnie B hit Fasano on a drag route over the middle of the field and that messed the Jest D up to no end, they had no defense for that and they were on their heels for the rest of the game afterwards when we ran the WC.

I'm all in favor of the WC, but not a passless WC as it is now a known commodity and fairly easy to defend.

Tone_E likes this.
  5. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    If we use the wildcat we have to throw effectively out of it now and then. Also, we can't over use it.

6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I have no problem with the "WildCat" per say....really....I had a problem with how Dan Henning used the WildCat.

slickj101 and GMJohnson like this.
  7. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I think if we added Brad Smith, along with Thomas and a improved OLine it could be effective again. I'm not sure it fits with Henne though so that I don't understand. To me if you're going to stick with Henne you have to utilize his arm and minimize his lack of mobility. I would be interested to see how it could work without that idiot Henning calling it at the worst times.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The signs have been there that the formation isn't going anywhere, most just didn't wanna acknowledge it, while few of us defended its evolution in this league..The versatility and skillsets of our new offensive weapons coincide well with what Daboll wants to do out of the formation, so hopefully we embrace our inner *****cat, we are the innovators...The size of Thomas and the fact that the kid was recruited as a QB does have at least the make up of the ultimate wildcat executioner..You often hear CK talk about what kind of player it would require for the formation to really be effective...DTrain fits the script on paper..Big enough to handle the inside runs, the vision to slide and dice, some power, and hopefully some ability to pass..

9. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    The same way we did it with Pennington I would guess.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

some observations:

1) the wild cat or single wing can shift reversing its unbalanced side, making it extremely difficult to defend against. not once have I seen the shift used in a game.
    2) THE SYSTEM CAN BE OVER-USED & has been too many times in the past. it is a legitimate power run change-up system & should be used accordingly.
    3) a boxing analogy: the single wing is the left hook of football, it can be a devastating shot but needs to be set up properly & if its the only punch in your arsenal, you're going to lose the fight.

11. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im ok with this, and it is also why I want the phins to re-sign Ronnie Brown again. With Thomas back there now, a former QB turned to RB, the wildcat has an even better passing threat. Putting both of them out there at any point in time in the Wildcat would keep defenses on edge. It was simple before, if Ronnie is out there, you have to look for a potential pass too, if Ricky was running it, you know its just a run. Having Thomas, and/or Brown back there, there's a threat to throw possibly on any given wildcat play. I like it.

12. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Maybe this is why Pouncey didn't recieve a playbook. Shouldn't the kid keep this stuff to himself?

13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not sure a set of plays on their own can be bad, like the WildCat.

Plays rely on two things to be successful:

1. Execution of the play.
    2. When the play is called.

jetssuck and GMJohnson like this.
  14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I dont have a problem w/ the WC, but not at the expense of other, more important facets of the offense. Practice time is a finite resource, and when you struggle to do fundamental things like draws, screens, play-action passes, 2 minute drills etc properly the way we did last year then IMO you have ZERO business working on gadget plays.

I think the focus should be learning the basics of Dabll's offense, especiallyw/ no mini camps/OTAs etc on the horizon, I dont think we have the luxury of working on WC type stuff, not w/ a new center, new running backs, TEs and a rookie WR who we'll have to get up to speed by Week 1.

jetssuck likes this.
  15. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The problem with the Wildcat is it disrupt the quarterback rhythm. The last two years Chad was moving the ball and we stop him put in Ronnie and 8-10 times they figured out the play. What is needed is for the Quarterback to become a Wildcat QB if we want that. Or I would suggest we start having our RB's pass alot more.. Mix it up. Somtime the QB will run it, sometimes the RB will pass it and sometimes even the WR will pass. Something that keeps the defenses guessing.

I understand that for that to happen we need alot of the puzzle pieces, but if your going to do it. Invest in it and do it right stop the half *** stuff.

16. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    to me, unless a pass option is a legitimate threat ... then the WC has little value - crash the ends and stack the middle.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    yet there is no proof that it actually does that.

Does a draw play distrupt the quarterback's rhythm or calling a time out?

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats not the formations fault, its the playcallers fault.