1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AZ's Mock to end all Mock's

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by azfinfanmang, Apr 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Okay, this is about 2 weeks later than I wanted to roll it out, but better late than never...here goes. BTW: This is rendition 1, I have another scenario I would like to throw out later in the week if time allows:

Okay, I am going to address the issues I think we have as a team through the draft first. Most glaring needs get the first attention etc.

Last couple of rounds will be Au Gratis

By far the most glaring need we have is to STOP THE RUN. Our Run defense was a freakin sieve last year, and that alone was enough to have Dom Capers run out of town on a Shetland Puny. :pity:

The Front office has brought in some stop-gap players to slow the bleeding, but I really feel that with the First pick of the draft, they SHOULD go with :up:

1. Glenn Dorsey DT LSU.
    I think this kid has it all. I fell in love watching this kid play way back in November, and even with the possible injuries, I think he is still the very best player coming out. All the talk about him not being this or not being that is SILLY IMO. A good staff manages the scheme around a kid like this, not the other way around
    If we go with either Chris Long or Jake Long here, I wont be surprised..and either of those two will really help the team.
    If we go ANY other direction, I will be surprised and concerned…but the FO obviously knows Sooooooo much more than I do about this business.

The next order of business is pretty obvious. OLINE baby. Although this unit looked pretty serviceable last year, there are really only 3 starters to date, and 1 of them is second year man Samson Satale.

2a. Chris Williams OT Vanderbilt
    If still available Williams would be able to come in and produce immediately.
    Can he play LT? Perhaps down the road, however, he could come in and be a very serviceable RT right away.
    -or-
    Gosder Cherilus. Although perhaps not the same Talent as Williams, I am starting to nod towards the kid with the funny name and this is why.
    Cherilus will probably NEVER project to being a LT in the NFL, and that is fine. I think that Carey proved to be a VERY good LT and could anchor that position for many years. Cherilus is a monster of a man, and a very good Run blocker. That is what we would want from our RT.

2b. Tracy Porter CB Indiana.
    Another obvious glaring need is in our defensive backfield. This is a tricky pick, but I feel that if Porter is still there at 57, he would be a great pick for us.
    He struggles a little in run support, but in coverage, this kid is an absolute anchor. I think he would come in and be an ideal nickel, and probably would be pushing to start opposite Will Allen within the years end. That would move Lehan to Nickel, also a nice spot for him to be in.

3. Shawn Crable LB Michigan.
    Once again, targeting the Run. I think this kid could really shine in the 3-4, playing any of the 4 linebacker rotations. He is very talented and I think will still be available at the 3-1.
    Also would consider Phillip Weaver MLB out of Georgia Tech or Curtis Lofton if still available

4. John Carlson TE Notre Dame
    This kid has seem to fly under the radar, and I am still not sure why. I do know that a couple of the Guru’s in here have shunned him, but if he were still available with the 4-1, he would be a great pick for Parsnips/Ireleand et el.
    He is a great blocker, an even better receiver, has great size and was a team captain for the Irish. The last being perhaps as important at any, because I think it speaks towards his probably intelligence. TE was a serious Achilles heel for us last year, I could easily see this kid in, Martin out

5. …….:pity:

6a. John Greco, OG Toledo.
    Our FO has already looked VERY interested in this kid. If he is still there, I think he will be the target. He would immediately be able to come in and play either Guard position, probably left with Smiley at Right.
    This kid played tackle for Toledo and was VERY solid. Doesn’t have all the physical talent in the world, he just flat out gets the job done…exactly what Parcells covets. Smart kid that understands his weaknesses, and more importantly what he needs to do to overcome them. He is One of my favorites.:wink2:

6b (Comp Pick) Matt Flynn QB LSU
    All this kid did was win a national championship baby. He is a big physical kid who could end up being a wildcard in the draft. At worst, we have a clip-board carrier..at best, we have the next Tom Brady.:up:

7a. (Homer Alert) Marcus Smith WR University of New Mexico
    Hey, everybody has to have a homer, and this kid is mine. This is a big tough kid that has very good hands and body control. He needs to work on both speed and explosiveness, but could project to being a nice 4th receiver, possibly working his way into the slot. A project.

7b (Comp pick) Caleb Campbell. Army
    Hey, I imagine there is still room on this band wagon..right. Not hard to understand why so many are picking this kid in Mocks. He has everything except for experience at a big school. Hard hitter and big. Would make an incredible special teamer at the very least. Could be a solid SS at the most.

There it is folks. I think the entire thing is possible...let me know what you all think.

az

Boik14, Kanye West, like2god and 6 others like this.
  2. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i'm still not sold on Dorsey, but if we picked him, I couldn't be too upset. but like you, if we don't draft him or either of the longs.. i can't promise i won't throw something at a wall. i'd personally like to see either Chris Long there, and at 32 take an OT like you say, or Jake Long there and at 32 grab either a DE that may have fallen, or an elite CB there and address a different position at 57. I do like all your other picks though.. though i'm not sure greco will be there? i dont know much about him but i thought i had heard he was gonna be about a 4th rounder? has something happened to lower his stock? i've been out of town a couple days i may be behind on things

3. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Seriosly Hopefull thinking on Greco. IF we had the 5-1, I would be much more secure with picking him...

4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    well done Kenny.. of course I agree on the Dorsey assesment..

azfinfanmang likes this.
  5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Nice job Ken, but I'm not as high on Dorsey as I am on Chris Long. But if Tuna and Co. select Dorsey, I'll support the pick.

Phinperor and azfinfanmang like this.
  6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    Your 5th pick was the best one :)

Good job though. I think we should take dorsey as well.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Greco won't make it to round 6, and I bet he doesn't make it to 5-1 either like you are suggesting. Chris Williams I can't envision making it to 32, and there is a good chance Cherilus won't either. I like Crable, but I think there will be better players available at that pick.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  8. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Nice mock bro, I'm also with L2G on this one however. I wouldn't be terribly upset with the Dorsey pick but I'd definitely prefer either Chris or Jake Long. I'll support the pick as long as it's one of those 3 players, and not Ryan. :wink2:

like2god and azfinfanmang like this.
  9. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    I prefer Chris Long, but if we draft Dorsey I'll support the pick.
    I do like all the other picks, great job! :up:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    nice job! thanks for the hard work and time. that was a good read.

Im not 100% sure that id want Dorsey to be our pick. Something about him (i think its that lingering injury) really makes me want to take either Chris or Jake Long instead. after all this organization has been through we need to make a good, safe pick at #1 overall, not take a chance on Dorsey with his injury problem there. If that question about the injury wasnt in the mix, then I would for sure have no problems with Dorsey.

I like the suggestion of Shawn Crable too. That kid made an awful lot of nice plays at Michigan in his college career there. I definately would not object to seeing him in a fins uni next season!!

Thanks again!

azfinfanmang likes this.
  11. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    nice mock. I'm not sold on Dorsey but love rds 2 thru 6. Shawn Crable LB Michigan is my sleeper lb in this draft.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  12. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I'd rather have Long being we're going to run a 3-4, but if our draft turned out like that I wouldn't be disappointed. However I don't think Williams will drop that far, nor do I think Porter will. Carlson and Greco are very hopeful picks in their position as well. Overall though, nice effort. I know it takes some time to do these things.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  13. Finrunner

Finrunner Season Ticket Holder

Dec 11, 2007
    Well, if nothing else, if this is mock to end all mocks, at least I won't have to be reading any more of those dratted things... Wait that's wrong. Actually, I enjoy reading them, so knowing this is the end, it's kind of a letdown. Good ending, though.

I still think pick is Chris Long, so you've got that going for you - as I normally don't nail these picks. But I really think Dorsey is the closest to transcendent talent among the top three guys (Long 1, Long 2, and Dorsey), so I wouldn't mind the pick at all, especially if the coaching staff puts their money where their mouths are and schemes according to the talent they have rather than their pre-conceived plans. Either way, sooner or later - read, sooner - we're going to a 3-4, but I think Dorsey could be a great DE in that scheme, as well as a good pass rusher on the inside on passing downs when the D gets out of their base defense. And I'm TOTALLY with you on the fact that it was our defense that couldn't stop anyone last year rather than the lack of scoring by the offense that doomed us. Yes, we couldn't stop the run. But, yes, we couldn't stop the pass either when teams didn't want to run (i.e. NE Pats or Cleveland). So, yes, I want the defense fixed as the priority, although I still think you need to draft best value. Am I contradicting myself? Maybe.

After the first round, I get a llittle skeptical. Cherilus may be there at 2a, but I'm pretty sure Williams is gone in the first. One can hope... but one can hope that Chris Long will be there at 2a, too. That's not going to happen. Will Williams fall? I doubt it. I'd bet half the farm he wouldn't, but maybe not the whole farm, as I do want some shelter over my head. Greco, like Stitches mentioned and pennphinphan alluded, probably doesn't make it to the 6th. I've heard his name mentioned for the 3rd, however, starting with the third round, players can fall. I really don't think he makes it past the 4th, though.

But, hey, I do agree with you in the fifth round that we don't have a pick. :tongue2::wink2::lol:

Good job, overall! Especially now that you've ended all the other mock drafts. That means, I don't have to post one!!!:up:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  14. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I still think it is going to be Jake Long. I expect Jake Long to go #1, and have use take a G (or a tackle who can play G, like Greco or Zuttah) that can start right away between rds 3 and 4.

I also think we may not address the CB spot until rd 4 or later. I just expect the lines (both sides), linebackers, and tight ends to come first unless someone really talented is there. Wide Recievers fall in line with cornerbacks IMO, where one won't get picked unless it is great value. Which is why I think that if we were to take Caldwell for example, a player we were all over since the off-season, it would not be until round 3, because the value just wouldn't be there yet. But again, that's all just opinion on my part.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  15. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    BTW: As I suggested, I might get my second version out this week. It does indeed have Jake Long being the 1st overall taken, which of course changes the dynamics quite a bit

Also, I have no problem with Chris Long being the #1 overall. IF that is what our benevolent FO feels is the best pick...anybody but those three at the 1-1..and yeah, I am probably throwing stuff through the front of my new HD-42" TV....

16. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Waittacottinpickinsecond!!! You mean there's a version 2.0 of a mock to end all mocks?

How irony-ous.

17. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

:sidelol::sidelol::sidelol:

Looks like somebody besides Den sees the humor in my ways.:wink2:

Finrunner likes this.
  18. Finrunner

Dec 11, 2007
    Well, yeah, as long as I have C. Long, the chances are it could certainly go that way, too.

And really, I don't have a problem with that either, as I think it might (hypothetically as I see the draft unfolding) mesh better with the premiere players left at # 32 as a total team draft, if that makes any sense. Like I've mentioned before, if Groves or Connor or even a DB like Cason is there at # 32, which I do think is theoretically possible, I almost like a JLong/Groves as much or more than a CLong/Cherilus combo, but that's personal preference (which, I realize, there's no place for in the Miami Dolphins Draft War Room :no:).

19. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    You Guys Stop...you Are Seriously Starting To Broach On My Second "draft To End All Drafts" :tantrum:

20. GRT8

GRT8 Premium Member Luxury Box

Mar 24, 2008
    Virgina
    Dorsey is an unbelievable talent and would love to have him. I think he is going to be more successful in a 4-3....but i see you covered your self with that statement above.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  21. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Here's perhaps the biggest problem I have with defining him as a 4-3 player. WE will be playing the 3-4, and that means somebody else is getting what I think is the BPA at #1..once again, I think its up to the FO to get the best players in, I think its up to the Coaching staff to make those players prosperous...of course that is not the most practical approach....just saying....

22. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I agree with every thing except the Glenn Dorsey pick I think we should pick Chris Long. But I would be happy with Chris Long, Jake LOng or Glenn Dorsey all of them are great talents

azfinfanmang likes this.
  23. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Thanks bro, Cason is right here in Tucson..where he belongs...:tongue2:

I agree I was reaching on a few. It is gonna be tough to tell who falls where actually.

One thing that I have been repeating for a couple of months, and became even more appearent when doing this....we are STILL going to be picking from big-time talent at the 4-1..and in fact, It really gets me that we dont have the 5-1. This is a DEEP DEEP class of talented kids coming from every direction, in every position except QB, Center and perhaps DT.

24. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Would absolutely love that draft. I think we'd have to get really lucky to see a few of those guys slide to the spots you have them, but if it did play out like that I'd have no complaints.

azfinfanmang likes this.