1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aug 12th Live Blog AM

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by orangefinfan, Aug 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I didn't realize Feeley hit 91%. Wow!! I hope Carpenter's as good or better.

2. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I wonder what Sparano is thinking.

3. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    That Pennington and Henne are the two best QBs on the roster.

4. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    I don't know how telling this is or not. Perhaps the plan is to give Pennington and Henne the reps in teh 2nd preseason game and he wants them as prepared as possible for that. Maybe Chad and Chad are 1 & 2 on the depth chart and Beck/McCown are fighting for the 3rd QB spot. Maybe next week its Pennington (of course) getting reps with the "next look see" for preseason game three will get the bulk of the remaining reps (read McCown or Beck). Who knows.

Striking likes this.
  5. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Simply amazing how Henne seems to have already surpassed Beck and McCown with the new staff. Getting more reps means a hell of a lot more than the coaching staff is letting on. Beck didn't see enough reps under Cam and we all saw what happened. McCown has had more opportunities and hasn't capitolized on any of them. If either were really being considered for play, they would have to see some reps. JMO

TheAnswer385 and schmolioot like this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    It looks like one of them is a goner.

7. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    I don't like how they are handling this QB deal personally.

Keeping McCown on board was bad enough but now they aren't letting Beck even get reps to grow. This is stupid.

Before anyone gets started, I'm not a "Beck should be a starter" right now advocate. My motivation with this thought process is knowing that young players need time to develop, especially at QB and if this regime is giving up on one of our young duo of prospects already, I'm pissed.

As long as this organization has been looking for a QB we need to make sure we develop BOTH these prospects to a point where a real assessment can be made.

8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    absolutley....they are both getting paid tooooo much to just get 4 throws and watch the whole time.....thats absurd! :pity:

9. Timmy54

Timmy54 New Member

Aug 8, 2008
    i find it amazing that Beck has fallen so far out of graces with the coaching staff that reporters are thinking he is the one to get the ax. from my point of view, McClown should be looking for a UPS job this week, not hoping to get some snaps.

like2god likes this.
  10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Interesting, maybe we are looking at this the wrong way.

What if, it is Henne as #2, and the real battle is for the #3 Qb slot?

And Ricky tweaked his ankle......:sad:

11. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    When I asked "I wonder what Sparano is thinking." I should of been more clear. I was wondering what he was thinking in terms of letting one of them go.

Does he keep a young guy (Beck) to develop and later try to trade him for a draft pick? or does he keep the veteren (McCown) because he has game experience in case Chad P gets hurt (which history says carries a high chance)?

I personally think IF Chad P gets hurt and Chad H keeps getting the reps he's been getting, Henne may be ready to play at a high level. He looks ahead of the other QB's in terms of talent and poise already. Maybe it's because he played for such a big school under big game situations.

12. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Glad to see Ricky back in action. Must not have been that bad. Henne runs one in and throws one on last two plays. Nice!!

13. TheAnswer385

TheAnswer385 Stay Low Run Free

Jan 7, 2008
    PA
    Sounds like Pennington is doing an amazing job

14. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I would hope that Sparano and Co. would look at McCown for what he is, a 7 year veteran that couldn't beat out 2 inexperienced players. If anybody is close to being shown the door, it should be him.

I have to agree 100% with Coral Reefer, if all reports of this are true then it looks like the FO is wasting our assets without fully knowing what they have. Players take time to develop, giving up on that talent too soon will come back to bite us.

Timmy54 and Coral Reefer like this.
  15. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    And why is Henne being talked about as if he came in and blew away his competition? I haven't seen that anywhere, none of the QB's really did anything to pull away from the pack or find themselves in the doghouse.

alen1 likes this.
  16. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    You and I discussed this a few days ago when they brought in Carter for a workout. They are not happy with the QB situation and were looking to tweek it. They went out and got Pennington, are happy with with Henne but want to bring him along slowly. If the others don't step up, they could be out and some more new names brought in. Right now, we've got 50% of our QBs IMO.

padre31 likes this.
  17. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I am glad to hear this. It makes cutting Jay Feely sting a little less.

18. mullingan

mullingan New Grandbaby Pic!!!

Nov 27, 2007
    Gainesboro, TN
    Again, this may be nothing more then wanting to give Henne the first action in the next preseason game (after Penningtons action) and want him to be as prepared as possible to get a good evaluation of him with and against the 1st team players. Maybe next week its Beck or McCown that will be getting the reps with Henne in practice for their next "evaluation" game. I honestly believe there is no clear cut #2 and thats where our QB competition is right now. I also believe that is why we have yet to let McCown go. We don't have a clear cut depth chart at QB after Pennington. Just what I am thinking.

cnc66 likes this.
  19. Gunner

Gunner Rock Hunter

Jan 5, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    If Beck & McCown get alot of work in the afternoon practice, all of this is moot. Perhaps Sparano wants to split them up that way on days where there are 2 practices. We'll see at 5PM ... if its more of the Chad & Chad show, then you can pretty much assume that John & Josh are on the bubble.

Nice to see Wilford finally making some catches. He is another one on my bubble watch list. Glad to hear Ricky ankle is fine and that he got back into practice. Kircus is one of those guys that cant drop anything ... he had moved up the depth chart in my mind in the game, he cant afford to relax now.

That said, if Beck doesnt Practice at 5PM, I would put my money on him being shopped around.

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    wow, good news is that the qbs and receivers had a solid day. even ernie wilford had a nice grab.

i thought perhaps yesterday we were still doing the rotation thing at qb, but 2 days straight of beck and mcown as wall flowers...not good.

21. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    yeah i could see wanting to catch CP up with the offense, get him some extra reps because he needs it. but if henne also keeps dominating the reps, well...it seems like we have our mentor/rookie combo in place. another day of this, and i'd say its all but decided.

22. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    If Beck doesn't get many reps this afternoon, doesn't sound good!

But this may cause Beck to stew on the sideline, get better so to speak, and wait for his chance. Or Henne is just that much better. We'll see.

23. StLouisFinFan

StLouisFinFan New Member

Apr 28, 2008
    It's all but decided now. Two consecutive pract sessions with Henne as primary backup and with JB and JM getting only scraps tells me they've made up their minds already. Coming to any other conclusion gives that feeling you get when you're trying to convince yourself of something when you know deep down it's just not true. As much as it pains me to say this, John Beck will likely never be the starting QB, or even the backup QB for the Miami Dolphins. AT THIS POINT I think JB is too valuable a commodity to just cut, and too valuable to rot as a third stringer, so you know what that leaves. My guess is the FO plans to carry all 4 QBs until they can get good value on Beck, most likely trading him to a WC style team who is short on starters or developmental talent. I hate to say this, but the writing is on the wall for the end of the John Beck era in Miami. I wish him all the luck in the world.

24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    He's a good guy. I hope he lands on his feeet with a team that will develop him. As I say, they have to be calling SF right now. There are reports JT Osullivan is winning the job. You think the niners are ok with that?

mullingan and PMZQ like this.
  25. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    I agree that McClown should get the ax if anyone. But in all fairness, they have given beck the benefit of the doubt, and although he hasn't been the worst, he hasn't proven he can be a NFL starter either...and they gave him that opportunity to show it in the camps and first preseason game.

Not to mention he's a second year guy who's already 27. The only reason i could see them keeping McCown over beck for the third spot would be if Pennington goes down, they would rather a vet than a second year * (which the first year was abysmal, not all his fault but still bad) guy playing should something happen to Pennington. If something happened to pennington, i think beck or McClown gets in before henne, as they don't want to throw him to the wolves so quickley, even though they might already consider Henne the number 2 guy moving forward, they don't want him playing as the number two guy this season.

It would be dissapointing for beck as we've seen his hard work and determination, but they have given him a chance and in my opinion didn't take full advantage of it. If Pennington can stay healthy for 2 years, it won't matter, becasue the long term answer at qb i think is Henne's to lose now. And he will have plenty of time to learn the system completely and practice lots before the pressure of a starting job is put on him.

They might just might keep beck if there are no interest in him around the league, but I don't see them keeping 4.

Just random thoughts on the qb battle but i could be way off.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  26. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I don't know...Beck doesn't get too many snaps one TC day and he's fallen out of grace ?? There are only so many snaps to go around and obviously Pennington needs the lions' share of them to catch up...

I do agree that McClown should just be let go now, but obviously the staff doesn't agree....It is curious as to why he's still around....

27. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

What ??? You're kidding right ?? One quarter of a preseason game is a chance ?? New offense, 2nd yr guy, one offseason and one quarter of preseason game ?? Cmon....

28. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Might just be that coach said CHAD get your *** over to Coach LEE forgetting we have two Chads now so both just ran over to LEE... :)

Sounds like Beck will be the odd man out here soon.. My game 1 lineup Pennington, Beck, Henne... Games 2-16 Pennington, Henne, Beck...