1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audibles. What the scouts are saying

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MrClean, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Thanks. I'm glad you appreciated my efforts to bring it to you.

2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I can't speak for Simon but I did. I just don't agree with what's written.

Boomer, Bpk and ckparrothead like this.
  3. MrClean

Some I did, and some I didn't. Boomer seemed to get upset by what was said about the English dude, Watson. Others later pointed out that being a non US citizen could be a risk because what if he even has a minor legal scrape? It is possible to lose their visa. I'm not an expert on what it takes being done to lose a visa though. I doubt many of us here are experts on the subject.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    People objecting to what's written in the piece should never be taken as an objection to the poster bringing the piece to everyone's attention. That's not an assumption that should ever be made, IMO. Well unless the person bringing it to everyone's attention is the author, lol.

I like Alen's quote on twitter. A scout labels so-and-so "just a guy". Alen says, "So is the scout".

5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    No doubt, though I do know it's a lengthy process simply because I follow soccer transfers. I was just saying that a lot of the stuff said is just over the top, or at least I thought so. Like I said, I do appreciate you transcribing it because I know how big of a pain in the *** that is.

Bpk likes this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    We had a client about 5 years ago who had had an arrest when he was a minor. It was gang stuff, some misdemeanor trespass and vandalism thing. He went to juvenile hall and served his sentence. He was in his late 20s now and had met all the reporting requirements (every 5 or 10 years I think). He had a good job, owned a home, was married, paid taxes, had never been in trouble with the law as an adult. Basically an upstanding member of the community. Well somebody going through the old records decided to have him deported based on the conviction 12+ years ago. We have one of the more arbitrary and counter-productive immigration laws in the world so IMO "non-citizen" is worth mentioning as a consideration.

MrClean, padre31 and Fin D like this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I thought that was possible which is why i brought it up.

At the same time, I can understand Boomer and other non American's assuming it was because we look down on everyone else. We are, after all, arrogant pricks as a whole in this country.

Boomer likes this.
  8. MrClean

The Limeys better not look down on us. We saved them from Adolf. If we hadn't jumped into the fray, Boomer and all his friends would be goose stepping from London Bridge to Westminster Abbey. :lol:

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think what people should understand about those scouts opinions:

They are tailoring responses to what GM's and their staffs want to hear.

The NFL is very much driven by fear and criticism, if one put whichever universally thought of as beautiful woman in front of them, they would just glare at them and make up flaws, this is sort of compulsion is just how the league works.

IMO the reality is 2 things, guys with physical limitations who just bust their *** to improve, and guys with massive physical talent whom you ride until the talent diminishes, and the key to both is getting on the field.

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I understand it. The term "ugly American" exists for a reason, but the assumption in this case may not be valid.

Fin D likes this.
  11. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

The way it was phrased was definitely off-putting and sounded not quite right. I didn't buy that it wasd a legit legal concern the scout was referring to, tbh.

Either way, there are other boneheaded things in there by some scouts, and some bang-on assessments by others.

My question is, why are we so surprised that there are good scouts and bad scouts?

Some teams are clearly bad and some are good, some coaches and front offices are bad and some are good, so why are we so shocked to see that some scouts suck at their job while others are good at it?

I enjoyed the behind-the-curtain-look at the scouts.

Now, here's the fun part... go through those and, for fun, guess which team's scout might have made each of those comments. :) lol.

MrClean likes this.
  12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The irony of that is the "Ugly American" is a tale about a rather generous American

13. Bpk

The last time I was in London a cabbie asked where I was from. I said "Canada" (true) and he said, "Make sure you let people know... we remember you were the first ones there to help us in the war while the Americans let us twist until the end."

Just sayin.

lol.

14. Bpk

Yeah, America is often looked to to help out as an enforcer, then vilified for it too.. like a hockey enforcer. Kind of a double edged sword, I guess, for people to rely on your strength to protect them, but cast you as if you are war-mongering.

Anyways, America and the UK are best buds now. If they were people, they would share a ***.

That means cigarette in England. :)

15. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I'm not familiar with the tale, but when I traveled around Europe it commonly meant somebody who was rude and loud.

16. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    You didn't write it did you? I always appreciate what you do. But eggs is eggs, old friend. And the eggs in that article stank.

17. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Meanwhile back in the real world........

18. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I take it he did painstakingly transcribe all those quotes from his hard copy of PFW, hence being a little miffed.

But I agree, PFW's scout quotes this year seem particularly awful. It's like trying to tell us about Cam Newton's smile all over again.

Bpk likes this.
  19. MrClean

I got them out of PFW's draft mag. I typed them into a word doc. Then copied and pasted them into the OP. Well, it appears 20 some people enjoyed reading them and the work it took to start the thread.

20. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I enjoyed reading them. It was just horsecrap analysis and in no way a knock at your transcribing. Sheesh.

21. Bpk

Actually, the typographical errors gave me major issues with the transcribing job that Walter did.

I loved the scouts insights though. :P

Kidding of course.

22. MrClean

Ok, fair enough then my handsome cottager friend. ;) I agreed with some. Like Glennon and Swearinger. Some I thought were crazy, like Carradine and Bernard. I did not want to pick and choose and just let everyone make up their own minds and realize they were all merely opinions, and scouts are just human like we are. Kind of gives one at least pause to consider if there is any credence to their claims on the various ones. Maybe look again, then say, hmm, maybe, or say hell no, wtf was he talking about?

Boomer likes this.
  23. MrClean

I did misspell Lane Johnson's name, but any errors in grammar are from my transferring them verbatim. The only change I made was to the correct spelling of Stedman (Bailey). I'm anal about names and it bugs me to see anyone write his name as Steadman. That's why I was so shocked I wrote Lance instead of Lane, and even after not seeing Apocalypse Now for many months. :)