1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attack of the Ants!!

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by pennphinfan, Aug 24, 2011.

1. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Attack of the Ants! **NEW PROBLEM**

******* PLEASE SEE BOTTOM/NEWEST POST.. I HAVE NEW ISSUEZ.... ****IN' ANTS

Hey all,
    So I have run into an.. interesting.. problem. My car is infested with ants! Not in the way that you'd think though. There are no ants (thus far) on the INSIDE of the car, however the car is basically covered with ants at all times, and they appear to be living in all the crevices and nooks and crannys on the exterior of the car and underneath the paneling.

This all stems from (I believe) the ants making their home in a tree that leans over the car. The ants appear to lay eggs on the leaves, which then are supposed to fall to the ground, but are apparently getting into my car instead. And now I have reason to believe they are re-nesting in the car itself.

I have obviously washed the car and cleaned out as much debris/leaves that i can, but i find the ants coming from places I can't get to, like the hole where the windshield wiper connects down into the car, and the space between the roof of the vehicle and the interior ceiling (imagine when you open the sunroof, theres about a 1/2 inch of space gap between the interior ceiling and the actual top of the car.. they're in there it seems.

The next step I have tried (and am currently on) is sitting ant traps on top of the car when I'm not driving, and trying to spray raid down into the cracks of the car. I'm hesitant to go all-out with the raid because I dont want to end up damaging the paint, but I've tried to get it down into the cracks and then wipe off the excess to avoid that.

If this doesn't work, where do I go from here?
    My only thoughts are:
    a.) buy a car cover, put it on, and stick a bug bomb underneath and just let it infuse the gas into all the holes in the car
    b.) bring it to some kind of detailing shop and see if they have any ideas
    c.) wait for winter (which doesn't exactly ever come in Los Angeles)
    d.) ask the ant queen if she wants to take over my car loan and just give the car to her

any other options?

and as a brief moment of stress-release and anger-control I hack-saw'ed the )$%* out of that tree. No more branches will hang over my car. EVER.

2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I should probably stop spraying your car with maple syrup every night. I'm sorry.

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Set it on fire, that usually kills ants......

4. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    I once used a bug bomb in my car, there was a huge spider on the loose in it and for safety reasons I had to make sure it was good and dead, if that crawled on if I was driving I would crash into a pole.

So give it a try I say.

Frumundah Finnatic and Celtkin like this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Ants have a natural fear of heights. Drive your car off a cliff.

6. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    They don't like water too so drive it off a cliff into the Pacific ocean, that should do the trick.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Quit being a ***** and pick the car up and shake it until they all fall out, ya wuss.

8. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    And if that don't work use dynamite, blast them out. Extreme I know but this is an army he is talking about.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords

10. Ronnie Bass

Dec 19, 2007
    Hahaha great Kent Brockman reference!

11. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Thank you all for your care and prompt response. :P

ALL HAIL ANTS

finyank13 likes this.
  12. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    deal with the nest in the tree first or you are wasting your time.

Then, cover yourself in honey and set behind the wheel of the car, when you feel enough ants have been attracted to you dose yourself with kerosene.

Seriously, try some insecticide like Andro.

13. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    You must first woo the queen ant. After you get her to agree to marry you over some oysters and wine, then tell her you think its time her colony move towards a democracy. Once this has been done, you can then run for queen ant yourself. After many years on the road for your political campaign you should then release a tape of the current queen talking bad about the black ants. Finally, when you win your election, introduce a bill asking the ants to relocate to your ex gfs car.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this...

and totally redeem yourself!

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    You have to go all in or you will never fix this.....

That being said, go all Auburn on the tree like that dude who used the Spike 80 on the Toomer Oaks.....

When you are in a bind, only a tree poison works...

16. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    i've already hacked off a good chunk of the tree, but this thing is like 40 or 50 feet tall and happens to be on federal property.. so i'm hesitant to start going all rambo on this thing when the national guard can see me from their window..

the Raid and ant traps on the car seem to be working though, and I haven't been parking near the tree the past few days, after I get them out I'm gonna buy a car cover too methinks.

17. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I may be going out on a limb here,but, STOP PARKING UNDER THE TREE. SHEEEESH. :confused2:

Ohio Fanatic and MarinePhinFan like this.
  18. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I've been parking out on the street when available, adn the raid and traps seem to have worked mostly. And I cut down about half the tree. Situation resolved.

19. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    NEW PROBLEM TIME

So i managed to end the barage of ants that were attacking my car through a long use of raid and ant traps.. but now i've encountered a new problem:

The past week or 2 my windshield wiper fluid hasn't been coming out, and I assumed it was due to it being too low. Finally got around to filling it, and I realize my problem is not an absense of washer fluid, but rather a washer fluid container FULL OF ANT BODIES.

Those little ****ers must have crawled down through the small opening where the fluid comes out near the windshield wipers and then drowned themselves in the fluid reservoir. Now their damn little bodies are clogging the tubes.

My question is, since it appears I won't be able to remove the reservoir without a lift and some mechanic skills, can you just overflow the reservoir with normal water til they all come out the top and wash away? I dont see any issues here as it is only washer fluid.. as long as I'm sure to wash away any excess so that it doesn't catch on fire if it leaks down in the engine.. then i could just drain the tank by either siphoning it or just running all the normal water through the windshield wipers and re-filling it with new washer fluid.

I just knew those little bastards would have one last **** you after I finished them off.

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh sure, real problem is you'll have to take a small piece of wire or a what have you to clean out the nozzles of your sprayers.

Washer fluid is ammonia based or what have you and not very flammable, not a problem if some gets on your exhaust manifold or engine block.

pennphinfan likes this.
  21. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    turn on the car
    put your mouth on the exhaust pipe
    and blow.

signed tony sparano

22. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The fact that you cut down part of a tree to try and stop your ant problem is mind-boggling.

23. pennphinfan

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    when the ants live in said tree and drop eggs from tree into the crevices of your car, it becomes a problem.

and it was only a few branches really, it's not like i'm deforesting or anything. the tree is still alive and well

24. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You should have had sex with the Queen Ant, show the ***** whose boss.

25. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Horrible advise. The Queen can store sperm for her entire life and use it to produce offspring at anytime, and they don't just have one baby. Do you have any idea how much child support he could have to pay? Don't believe that birth control crap, ants lie.