1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AT&T U-verse questions answered here

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by The_Dark_Knight, Jul 3, 2017.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    MODS, please put a sticky on this thread...

For those of you who have AT&T U-verse and are having difficulties with your system, please submit your questions here. As some of you may know, and for those of you who don't, I work for AT&T as a U-verse technician, installing and repairing AT&T U-verse systems.

I've been wanting to do a thread like this for quite some time, but just now felt motivated to start the thread.

Anyhow, if you have any questions or are having troubles with your system, please let me know.

Bpk and Unlucky 13 like this.
  2. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Did you know?

For those who have AT&T U-verse television services, your system consists of a Residential Gateway (RG), a DVR and any additional set top boxes (STB).

-The DVR is hard wired (usually via Ethernet cable) directly to RG.
    -Additional STBs are connected to the RG via Ethernet cable, coax cable or wireless.

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    It doesn't exist where I live, but its very cool of you to do the thread. Major thumbs up.

Bpk, smahtaz and The_Dark_Knight like this.
  4. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Did you know...

Internet running slowly? Pages taking forever to load? At wits end and about to call AT&T for a service call? Slow down it may not your internet service, it may be your device. Regular maintenance of your desktop/laptop/iPad by clearing out your cache/history and cookies is a necessary task that helps your device surf the internet at your subscribed speed.

Remember, your subscribed speed is guaranteed only hardwired. Wireless speeds are NOT guaranteed as there are too many variables that affect a device's ability to surf wireless. This is one of our most frequent service call complaints.

For more information, log onto the myatt.com with your username & password or you can use the myatt app on your smart device for more information and steps to maintain your device for optimal internet speed.

5. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Why do I have to keep switching back and forth from U-verse to Direct TV every year to get a reasonable rate for the Internet/TV deal?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  6. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    It is really nothing more than a sales tactic sadly. Upon acquisition of DTV, AT&T needs to recuperate the investment they made in purchasing DTV so as older AT&T U-verse contracts expired, AT&T has pushed specials to get customers to switch to DTV.

There are always specials available in order to keep the services you already have. Sometimes it takes being persistent to get what you want.

I wish I had a better answer for you but as I tell customers who often complain about sales, "I'm merely the tech monkey...they tell me where to go and what to install...I don't have anything to do with sales"

Bpk and smahtaz like this.
  7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I have a question. I live about 12 miles from a large town straight out a single straight road in the country...I'm out in the middle of nowhere. Since I work online I did an address check before the closing and AT&T said that they provide DSL here, so I ordered before I even owned the house. Once the techs showed up though, they said my address wasn't eligible. That was almost seven years ago.

Every six months or so I'll do a line check to see if they have it available- sometimes it says yes and sometimes it says no. When I call it, some say they've never had internet out here while others say the line is maxed....and I'd be at the very end of the line from where their cable runs. About two years ago though, they ran fiber up to about 2 miles from my house.....it was a good 6-7 mile stretch they laid over the course of a month. And then I started receiving U-Verse ads in the mail about every 3rd day....they probably sent me 50 or more glossy postcards. But it's still not available here.

Finally I got mad and filed a complaint with the FCC over false advertising, and someone with with a fancy ATT title called me about three weeks later. He apologized, then said that my area has enough houses to warrant them running fiber the rest of the way but it's not a priority at this time. This is the first time anyone was ever halfway honest with me....everyone else said I'd have fiber "very soon". The executive said that it would probably be at least 9 months out.....that was a year and a half ago.

So here's my question (sorry it took a little to get to it)-

1) I've heard people/neighborhoods can pay to have fiber run on their own dime. But who would I even contact about that? I've searched for hours and there's no mention anywhere online.

1a) If my neighborhood of about 30 homes went that route, is it feasible or is the cost just ridiculous? And do they give us any serious price breaks so we can recoup some of our money?

1b) Is there any way to tell when AT&T may bring U-Verse the last two miles on their own?

I think I know the answers but I'm mainly asking because you really seemed like you wanted to give some advice here. =)

Unlucky 13 and ToddPhin like this.
  8. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Wow, that's a ***LONG*** question lol!!! Ok, a lot of what you asked aren't in my wheelhouse and fall into Engineering and Construction. That's the entity within AT&T that actually runs & conditions lines for AT&T service, installs the fiber optic nodes and the crossboxes.

I've not heard of housing areas or individuals on their own paying to have service brought to their areas. Not saying it doesn't/hasn't happen, only that I've not heard of it. Here in Brevard County though, there is quite a bit of new home construction and I have seen that within these areas, fiber optics have been installed by AT&T. In other areas, AT&T has been doing what's known as fiber overlays, bringing fiber optics in older neighborhoods. Who gets what installed though I have no idea.

I do understand your frustration though. I've had casual conversations with individuals while out and about (at lunch, etc) who always ask me when AT&T is going to be available in their area...or when fiber optics will be available in their area. I don't have an answer for them since I have no knowledge of that side of the house.

Now as to whether or not AT&T Uverse is actually available in your area, look for one of these...

[​IMG]
    If you see one of these within a mile or so of your neighborhood, chances are Uverse is available in your area but then again, it depends on how far you are away from the Cross box. The BEST advice I can give to truly determine whether or not it is available, go to and actually AT&T Sales Store, not an authorized retailer but a true corporate store.

I know I didn't give you the best of answers but as I tell customers sometimes when they ask me questions outside of my wheelhouse, I'm just the tech monkey...I just where I'm told and install what I'm told.

Unlucky 13 and KeyFin like this.
  9. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    LOL, I write for a living and can't help but give the full details. I appreciate you taking a crack at a really hard question though. The closest box is about 3 miles away (about where they ended the fiber on the main roadway). I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed...thanks for the answer!

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    I just got it on Tuesday after switching from spectrum I'm still learning how it works, the one thing I am going to miss from Spectrum is free Epix only for the movies and Music choice is there those type of things I am not seeing that U-verse provides?

11. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    The Music channels are on the upper level...Channel 2500 or so I believe?

12. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Defective firmware update for the BGW 210 RG...

If you have the BGW 210 RG and are experiencing intermittent internet connectivity, it's possible your RG has a defective firmware update, version 1.3.12.

To determine whether or not you have defective firmware, log into your RG with the ip address of 192.168.1.254. When the RG window open, click on System Information and look at your software version.

We were initially advised a factory reset of the RG would force a software update however, we technicians have discovered in the field this isn't always the case. To factory reset your RG, pres and hold the red button on the back of your RG for 30 seconds and let it reboot. This will take 3-5 minutes. Keep in mind if you have a customized network name and password, they will reset to the factory default.

This does not apply to any other model of RGs in the inventory, only the BGW 210

KeyFin likes this.
  13. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    Why does Uverse limit our NAT sessions to 2500 for a small business?

We have the Arris NVG595 with a 500/100 fiber line.

14. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    I'm no Uverse expert, but I bet it's because you're a Pats fan.

Boik14 and McLovin like this.
  15. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    a likely and plausible answer.

danmarino likes this.
  16. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I’ll have to do some research. I have no idea what NAT sessions are. Maybe I’ll have an answer for you tomorrow

McLovin likes this.
  17. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Please keep in mind I don’t do service calls on the business side of the house but after doing some research it sounds as if you may have a memory issue with your RG

A cascaded router may help but it also seems you have an enormous amount of traffic

You might need to get with your business rep to see if they can get you a better solution

Hope this helps

McLovin likes this.
  18. McLovin

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    from what I have researched, it's a limit to the dram inside the RG. the RG authenticates the service every 24 hours so it has to nat each session. Ideally, one would put the RG into bridge mode, but ATT removed that option. Our network guy at corporate's response was, "They sell you on the bandwidth at $300 a month then restrict the nat so you have to upgrade to enterprise service at $1200."

We just got this Thursday, and this is the set up the business rep recommended. Basically it's residential equipment in a business setting with no SLA.

not to mention we have been trying to get phones installed since august, and they keep messing up the port overs. Random phone numbers keep appearing in the port list and being rejected (because they aren't ours) and it gets pushed back a month. It's happened 5 times now. We have 19 people, not like it's some huge account.