1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Assassin's Creed series

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by Tone_E, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Yeah, this is a pretty damn good game, especially if you're familiar with the history of the era. The first hour or so is slow, then it gets going, complete with a plot twist early on that you won't see coming.

But the ending… well, I wasn't happy with it. It's too abrupt and clearly designed to lead into another game. I hate that, because those sorts of endings are never, ever well-written or satisfying.

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Assassin's Creed III - Debut Traile

What? You finished it in a day?

Sent from my iPhone

3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

99% sure that expired on 10-27

Sent from my iPhone

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That was Best Buy.

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I took Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday off work. I picked it up at the midnight launch and played until about 5 AM. Went to bed, woke up, played the game until I went to bed again. Woke up again, played until I beat it at about 6 PM tonight.

6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    ahh, so it'll take me 6 weeks.

Paul 13 likes this.
  7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Best of the series Des?

8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No. Brotherhood or 2 is still the best depending on your tastes. But this is the second best.

This would have been the best if they had gone into Connor's character with the sort of depth they did with Ezio in 2, and/or if the ending wasn't so obviously "to be continued". I really feel like the last 2 hours of the game were abbreviated, and things happen a little too quickly and conveniently. I can't explain without spoiling, but there's a little too much "In the interest of time" direction going on there.

Also, game is clearly pushing the limits of the PS3 and it suffers. Lots of screen door shadows, foliage that literally rises from the ground in front of you as it's loaded off the disc, low frame rates even though the cities are less densely populated and architected than in any other AC game. I don't know if that's because the PS3 wasn't the target platform or if the 360 also suffers from these problems, but if I decide to play the game again, I'm going to buy the PC version.

Basically, the core of the game is awesome but the peripheral stuff is a little bit of a letdown. Still had a blast though, and I hope the DLC fixes my dislike of the ending.

There are 12 memory sequences and multiple missions in each. I only played the plot missions and it took me as long as I described. There's a lot of side stuff, especially hunting and trading in the frontier township. If you want to do everything, it'll be more like 6 months. :lol:

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  9. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

That's cool. I like some side stuff, not all but some. It'll keep me busy for a while, which is good cause I love these games.

Sent from my iPhone

10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

I'm playing the "Dangerous Mission" mission, before the regular game. Is that okay, or am I going to spoil some plot lines.

Sent from my iPhone

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I don't know, I haven't played it. I doubt very much it spoils anything.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm still trying to finish up Revelations. I like these games, but I'm always a game behind. :lol: I save money anyway. My plan is to finish Revelations before Black Ops II and Halo 4. Play those games for about 6 months and hopefully grab ACIII at $19.99.

Revelations is ok but driving me nuts cuz I'm still kind of worn out on AC stuff after finishing up Brotherhood a couple months ago. Brotherhood and Revelations is just seeming like one big game for me at this point.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    The slow start to the game wouldnt bother me, it took ACII a bit to get going also.

I guess since both ACB and ACR had an action packed opening thats what most reviewers expected.

14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The issue isn't whether or not the beginning is action-packed. The issue is that you don't even play as Connor until you're 4 or 5 hours in. You play as... someone else. And when playing as that someone else, there's a sequence about an hour long, maybe a little longer, that seems to drag on.

15. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

Oh, I thought the stuff with Haythan was extra content. Doh

Sent from my iPhone

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Well, now that you've spoiled it... :lol: The Haytham sequences are mandatory. They're the first few hours of the game.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I saw some wolves chasing a deer, thats a cool little touch.

18. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The wildlife interaction is pretty nice. I saw two elk with their horns locked. :lol:

19. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    So I saw the big plot twist in seqeunce 3.
    I cant say I saw that coming.

20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's rare when a video game genuinely surprises like that these days.

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I think Ubisoft is keeping their word when they said there would be more of a moral grey area between the Assassin/Templar conflict.

Haytham never came across as "evil", he did kill two people that in all likelihood deserved it(a slave trader and a sociopath)
    Also Connor's mom kicking George Washington's *** was cool.

22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They are, but…

That grey area doesn't extend to the modern day sequences.

23. Bruzer

Bruzer New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Idaho
    Solid game, I wouldn't say the best of the series at all. I liked it good game but I felt I wasn't doing much more, the game play felt rushed (just playing it not development wise). I would of been happier to take out some of the video work and give us some more story to what is going on. I felt like I was being pushed through the game something I didn't really feel before playing creed. Overall definitely worth my money but I was disappointed. The ending is eh.. alright I guess.

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I definitely agree that it felt like we were being pushed through the story, but I also made the decision to play the story missions only.

I think it has to do with the fact that you can't get out of some missions because you're stuck in an area until they're completed.

25. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

I have issues with the bugs n gameplay. One cut scene, Connor is totally invisible. Free running and fighting is unreliable and clumsy. Weird, they need a patch badly.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Fighting works differently than in Brotherhood and Revelations, but it's definitely not clumsy or unreliable. It's actually easier to chain than it was in Brotherhood, IMO.

The bugs do need to be fixed though.

27. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    So I saw that coming, and here's why:

Every other Assassin throughout the entire series has worn the Assassin Hood. Every one. If Haytham was an established Assassin, he would've worn one. I first thought this in the very first scene in the theater, that he was maybe a Templar because of this and what he said to the man he killed. When Altair or Ezio killed someone, they usually said something prophetic afterwards, like killing was just something they had to do, not something they took joy in.

Later, Haytham says something to the Indian girl about killing. Again, he intimates that it's something he is happy to do. Then of course there's the mission where Haytham steals the map, and lo and behold there is George Washington, and of course Washington is in the next Sequence as well when he shoots Haytham off his horse. By this point, I was pretty certain that Haytham and his gang were Templars.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not true. While the primary player characters in AC games do wear beaked hoods, they're the only ones who do. Al-Mualim, Mario Auditore, Niccolo Machiavelli, Yusuf Tazim, etc did not wear beaked hoods. The elderly presumed-assassin that Haytham kills in the beginning (Edward Kenway, perhaps?) also was not wearing a beaked hood. The implication is that changing social mores and fashion is leaving the beaked hood less and less acceptable as a means of clothing--and we see that with Desmond, who almost never puts his hoodie up, though that's more for symbolic "I'm not really an assassin yet" reasons, but still. Also, Haytham is wearing a pointed cap which symbolically substitutes for the beaked hood, just like Connor's tricorner hat when at sea.

So you definitely did see it coming, but the lack of a hood is a red herring.

29. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Actually, I believe Machiavelli and some of those others did. When Ezio becomes a true Assassin and has his ceremony at the end of AC2, a lot of those characters are there donning their Hoods. I get what you're saying about the social fashion thing though. It makes sense. I'm pretty stoked to play it some more this weekend.

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The AC3 development team was on Reddit for a while answering questions. There's apparently another round of bug fixes coming to the consoles soon, and they're trying to improve things like the weapon wheel in future patches.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm a sucker. I bought the PC version. And you know what? It's already miles better than the console version, and I only just started the Atlantic crossing.

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Haytham does have an Eagle motif on his cape, which would make up for his lack of a hood.
    Aveline doesnt have a hood either actually.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Pointy hats.

34. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I had to put AC3 aside for now to play some Hitman. :) Been waiting years for this, and after tweaking with the difficulty options it really does feel true to the series...Between AC3 and Hitman...there's a lot of marks to take down. :2guns:

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So I'm playing through the PC version. They fixed a lot of technical problems—or at least my PC is powerful enough to disguise them. I'm having much more fun with this run than I did with the PS3 version.

Also, am I the only one who feels like an evil bastard when killing beavers?

36. Frumundah Finnatic

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Just beat the game.

About the ending:

[video=youtube;7n6REP8cLZA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6REP8cLZA[/video]

37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    :lol: I wouldn't go THAT far.

Though I'll admit I'm pretty pissed that The Tyranny of George Washington is a. a three-part DLC b. that occurs in an alternate universe where Connor didn't become an Assassin c. when they could have used the DLC to wrap up Desmond and Connor. I'll play it, but I doubt I'm going to like it.

Speaking of new things, Ubisoft confirmed that Assassin's Creed 4 has a new development team, new protagonist, new time period, and will come out in 2014. This sounds like a franchise reboot to me in the way that Halo 4 was a franchise reboot; a new developer will use the slate-wipe ending of the previous game to do their own thing. New time period and new protagonist rule out the possibility of an older Connor in the French Revolution, which is a big disappointment to me. But it seems like they won't go with ancient Egypt, feudal Japan, or World War 2. So what are the really big, important flashpoints in history that are familiar to most people? I doubt they'd go with the Civil War. Victorian London—with the new character being the assassin eventually referred to as Jack the Ripper? Admit it, you'd play that. Or maybe it's all present day.

38. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    WW1? Russian Revolution would be pretty good...but I feel like most people don't know much about it lol

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They already did the Russian Revolution. Read Assassin's Creed: The Fall and The Chain.