1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ascentive Software removal

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by bg34, Sep 23, 2008.

1. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    Does anyone know how to fully remove "spyware removal" tools and software. I came home late one night, a little drunk and saw that cheesy commercial for finallyfast.com. (i know, i know..i was drunk). Well, I downloaded their "free" test and now have a couple of programs that I can't get off my hard drive. I've already removed them with the "add/remove programs" feature, but they are still there. PLEASE if anyone has any knowledge to this, help a brotha out. I've already tried system restore as well, no dice.

My computer is a lot slower and always freezes and I know it's because of this.

Thanks!

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

you're using windows I guess? i need to know to help.

3. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    bg34 likes this.
  4. anlgp

the way to remove programs besides the add remove is the registry editor. I can mess around with it a bit in person but with that said I'm a little skeptical of telling someone how to do it online. If you mess with the reg. editor and do something wrong your system could fry.

Lifehacker, tips and downloads for getting things done

they have a lot of programs that get rid of viruses.

here's a guide to removing software. follow it TO ITS EXACT SPECIFICATIONS. I'm not liable if your system fries. neither is the site.

How to manually remove programs from the Add or Remove Programs tool

bg34 likes this.
  5. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    Yeah, I'm on windows XP. All I've done is make my computer slower. It used to run absolutey flawless, has been for years. Now, it freezes just about every 30 minutes on me. Frustrating as hell. And good registry cleaners out there that are trustworthy?

6. anlgp

i don't trust google with my name let alone my computer. just do it by hand. or search for a different registry editor. i think most of them you have to pay for. let me see if I can't find one for you.

i'd just back up your stuff first in case something bad does happen. any pictures, music, etc.

editing the registry can be beneficial in some ways but harmful in others.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=289948&st=0

bg34 likes this.
  7. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I use iolo system mechanic 8, which I think has a free 30 day trial and it does have a registry cleaner that has always worked well for me.

bg34 likes this.
  8. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Go to Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore application...pick a date in time prior to the DRUNK night in question. Use the Restore Point from that date.

You wont loose any data, just applications you may have added after the DRUNK night in question. System Restore is a great solution for these type of MISTAKES!

Celtkin and bg34 like this.
  9. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    I thought of that, but don't certain viruses respawn even with a restore?

cnc66 likes this.
  10. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    nope! (not that I am aware of....99.999% sure :hehe: )

11. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Thats how a lot of malware is being installed on PCs today.Free spyware detectors .

If its not offered in Download.com as a valid spyware detector like spybot its probably bogus.

You will need to scan your PC with your anti virus scaner and an online scanner too .

Here is a free one that actually cleans

Trend Micro HouseCall - Free Online Virus and Spyware Scan - Trend Micro USA

Most will only tell you you have a virus but wont clean

There is a great program that will clean up your registry as well as maximize your pc called Tune Up Utilities 2008

bg34 likes this.
  12. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    brb have to go restore my other computer :lol:

13. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008

Just had a run of smithfraud go through several company machines that way.

14. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    I have Norton 360 on my computer and run scans every week. I just tried the system restore and it said no changes have been made, and I went back past the time of download. Could it be just an IE thing? Maybe I'll try firefox and see if I freeze.

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

15. bg34

bg34 Junior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Virginia
    Is spybot search and destroy an ok program to have on your computer? I've heard good things and bad.

16. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Yes.Its been around for a long time and it does a good job.

17. anlgp

I think spybot is alright. I haven't really ran windows in a while so I can't tell ya.