1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Armando recent blog on draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Now Armando is saying the Dolphins like Rhodes and Johnson, but are not in love with them, and do not consider them as options at 12. Rhodes is viewed more as a bump and run guy vs. zone, and Johnson simply isn't viewed as worthy of 12 by the Dolphins. Whom? They are open to upgrading both the DT and DE position and with the depth at those positions this year that could be a strong posibility. I think the general theme of his blog was that Miami will attempt to go into this draft with no glaring needs, meaning they still have some work in free agency. That way they can be more open to best available player. Now I know I have read that strategy on this site. That is not new. I guess what is revealing is that two guys most associated with Miami's mock drafts apparently are not the targets we think they are. What do you think about his "revelations" that Rhodes and Johnson are not likely targets? Smoke screen using Armando and his sources, or true?

Here is his blog: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...d-some-draft-possibilities-closed-others.html Draw your own conclusions.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think Armando is writing just to put something out. I don't think he has any actual ground (team sources) to go off of on this particular issue (at least at this point).

Fin D likes this.
  3. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't know who they will target but I do know that any information that is given out right now is definitely a smoke screen.

4. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I was looking at supposed "zone" corners and the two names that were most mentioned were Banks at Mississippi St. and Taylor from Boise St. A lot of emphasis has been placed on big corners that can bump and run over recent years. It has been challenging to identify guys that would be zone coverage types, such as in the Tampa 2. While I believe there is smoke to his words (Armando's), I actually think what he is saying about Rhodes might be true. Not sure about Johnson.

5. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

UPGRADING at DT? It's kind of hard to upgrade on Soliai and Starks with a rookie, no? I think Star Lotulelei could be a massive steal if he stays around his low-teens projection, but for us? I don't know. I attended the "Other U," and so I had the pleasure of seeing the man push back double and triple teams for 20 or so games. He was a man amongst boys in the PAC-12, and I'd argue that no one is more pro-ready than he. Not to mention, he had solid pro-day (they wouldn't let him participate at the combine) numbers, has never had any any off-the-field issues, and is settled with a family. I think he could be a better version of Soliai (ironically, another former Ute), although, if he doesn't get doubled and tripled at the pro level and is given opportunity to rush the passer, he could be a scary good player. As Doug Farrar put it, "if you took game tape of Warren Sapp circa 1999 and sped it up about 20 percent, you'd have what Utah DT Star Lotuleiei is at his best."

I just can't see how he'd be a fit here, unless we don't retain Starks next year...but even then, we'd be using the 12th overall pick as depth with huge voids at CB and LT. I can't imagine that. DE may be a different story, but I don't think DT is realistic.

Steve-Mo, azfinfanmang and Jcouch1021 like this.
  6. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Armando said he believed Ireland wanted to be free to draft at most any position. He mentioned DT as an option because he thinks Ireland likes to draft to strengths as well as need. His notion is Miami wants to go into the draft without any glaring need so they can take the BAP. If that is a DT, so be it. Needless to say, they still have some work in free agency.

7. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I could definitely see a defensive tackle being drafted. At this point replacing Starks and Soliai in the near future needs to be a consideration.

I also think that with such a wide-open draft, being free to go BPA is very important.

8. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I can buy that they don't see Xavier Rhodes as a good fit for what they want to do in the system.

I don't buy for a minute that they don't see Lane Johnson as worthy of a #12 overall pick. That's smoke screen.

9. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I agree with you on Johnson. I am not sure on Rhodes, but am inclined to buy him not fitting. I could see them drafting someone like Banks or Taylor in the 2nd round. Mayock apparently liked his pro day, but others apparently were not as impressed. Personally, I hope Miami does not draft Rhodes. I would prefer a DL over Rhodes.

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I could see it. Why retain Starks next year when we have his replacement on the team already at a quarter of the price. Plus Soliai would be close to leaving if he choses. I think that's what Ireland was thinkiong with Martin last year and Long. Get his replacement here earlier instead of drafting for need. A good policy IMO.

GMJohnson likes this.
  11. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I wonder if it's actually Soliai that they have an eye towards replacing, as they might want someone that provides a bit more pressure on early downs even if it means losing a little in run defense.

12. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Who would have to fall from the "top 10" for you to strongly consider regardless of position (well maybe other than qb)?

13. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I think the idea is that they want to come into the draft saying they don't have glaring needs at cb and lt. Now I know we are all free to beg differently.

14. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think you should really be looking at replacing Paul Soliai. He's not played particularly well since his breakout year, and he's got a year left on his contract and unless he's taking a cut he should be allowed to walk. If you can get someone who can rush the passer worth a **** that'd be nice too.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  15. Hurricane

Hurricane Guest

It's hard to say, because Ireland & Co. are not done in free agency right now... but as of now, I wouldn't call LT/RT and CB needs, I'd call them vacancies.

As it is now, our line would be Martin-Incognito-Pouncey-Jerry-Garner. The middle three are solid, if not good, but the outside warrants Ross taking out an insurance policy on Tannehill. IMO, if the front office and coaching staff believe that we can compete this year, we need to draft (or trade!) for this year. There will be DT's in 2014, too.

I will say, from a salary perspective, gunn34 makes a nice point. With a lot of guys under contract, and also looking to get extended (Pouncey, Reshad), it'd be wise to start trimming salary, and Starks (or Soliai, as PhinGeneral points out) would be a good place to start if we could replace him with a talent like Lotulelei.

It's all dependent on what happens between then and now, I guess. if the draft were tonight, I'd probably prefer a LT or CB.

...I'd love a Star Phins jersey, though!

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think defensive tackle will be on the board for Miami. I guess the big question is how do they feel about Sheldon Richardson, because Star Lotulelei and Sharrif Floyd won't be there. They do a lot of talking about wanting guys who just shut up and show up to work every day ready to go. I don't know if Sheldon is that kind of guy.

Dee Milliner won't be there and if they feel Xavier Rhodes isn't a fit the big question is how they feel about Desmond Trufant.

They've got to be looking at Bjoern Werner, and we HOPE they're looking at Tank Carradine at 12. They talk about wanting a defensive tackle to replace Tony McDaniel. If you draft either of those guys, that defensive tackle becomes Jared Odrick.

A nice question to ask, one that Armando seemed to casually brush aside in his blog post without even an exploration, is how they feel about a linebacker like Jarvis Jones. Jones would mean Ellerbe really does play Mike, Wheeler plays Sam, and Jarvis would play the spot Misi played last year in base downs and come down as a 4th right side rusher in nickel. Whether he rushes up or down would not really be a big deal, probably up more than down, as they have that kind of flexibility in the defense. That would really be right up Jeff Ireland's alley as far as getting a guy at 12 that is going to play a lot as a rookie. Unfortunately Misi would just go by the way side. He might be traded.

As I said, I don't buy for a second that they don't like Lane Johnson. That's pure smoke screen, IMO. Xavier Rhodes has a ring of truth to it but their explanation on Johnson did not. He might not be available, anyway...hence the smoke screen.

The guy that goes unmentioned is Tavon Austin. He only comes back into the frame though if they successfully trade Davone Bess.

17. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Count me as fully on board the Jarvis Jones bandwagon.

18. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    Trying to go into the draft with no glaring weaknesses is a good idea so that you can be free to take BPA if a special player drops. That said, I think you have to have a sense of who is likely to be available at certain spots to know what to prioritize in FA leading up to the draft. I think we need to add an OT (can be RT or LT) and one proven CB. I would probably try to get 2 CBs, as there are still some good ones left in FA and their price seems pretty reasonable. Grimes would be a good fit (assuming he's healthy) and I think Antoine Winfield would be a great fit talent-wise, although he is probably older than they want. I don't love any of the CBs at 12, but there are a few that should be available in the 2nd (or later in the first with a trade up/down) that would work. I'd be surprised if Lane Johnson wasn't a strong consideration at 12 if he is there. I also like Armstead in the 2nd. I could even get on board with Johnson in the 1st and Armstead in the 2nd to give us 2 guys with silly amounts of speed and athleticism for our ZBS. Austin is still the guy I really want, but I think it is very unlikely -- the Dolphins simply never take the guy I want them to take in the first.

19. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Sheldon is definitely a talker..one thing about Ireland, he is good at draft poker..

20. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Personally, I think Mando would be a good poster here on ThePhins.com. He's as knowledgeable as most of us and his assumptions are fine... I wouldn't be shocked if he's read thru this forum for ideas...not that it's really wrong, but that could very well be his "sources"...

I think Ireland has said before (although I can't remember exactly where) that the ideal thing is to go into the draft to not HAVE to take a particular position player at any spot... It makes a lot of sense... This time of year, I wouldn't trust anyone's 'sources'...it's usually smoke and mirror stuff to put other teams off the trail, and a perfectly legitimate way to operate... Again, seems as though he's putting two and two together to come up with his assumptions...

21. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I think with early 1st rounders you should always draft BPA unless for us it was a center or QB. EVerything else should be in play because we need as much talent as we can get. If some how Star drops and he rates that high, then take him. Both our starting DTs are FAs next year. If its Jones, I don't have a problem. Another draft guy on twitter today, forget who, said watching tape of Carradine who had 12 sacks and 80 tackles before he got hurt would be a top three player. If he's at 12 I think we need to rish it. Funny the three I name all have some sort of medical rish to them. Carradine, after watching some tape, would be an amazing player to put on our team. Across from Wake, DL is then sick. Let our LBs run and blitz free. I'm starting to lean heavily on the Carradine bandwagon.

22. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I think David Amerson also fits as a zone corner. Great awareness and ball skills. 18 INTs the last 2 seasons is pretty impressive.

23. Canad-phin

Canad-phin Active Member

Oct 17, 2012

I actually think this draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds has lots of zone corners, guys like Banks or Slay, the kid from Rutgers, Logan, Amerson. I think we could grab two corners in those rounds and be in pretty good shape.

Lee2000 likes this.
  24. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Ireland can upgrade DT by improving the depth, as well a providing a better long term solution.

25. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Mando has this one right, we are almost to a place where we can go in any direction at #12.

I do think we need more guys who provide an organic passrush from 4-7 looks, the problem is teams are also going to hurry up offenses which means if you take Star or Floyd unless they start they will find it hard to sub into games.

BUT, Starks and Soliai are also FA's next yr

26. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    IMO, drafting Austin is not contingent on moving Bess. Moving Bess is contingent upon getting Austin. He is the least talked about prospect for Miami in the media at this time, but they may have spent the most resources scouting him to this point.

Disgustipate likes this.
  27. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    You could always just draft a really talented player at a certain position such as DT then trade the veteran to another team for a pick. It opens up 8.5m in cap space say in Stark's situation. Draft Richardson, play him at three technique. Deal Starks for a 2nd+4th and then sign an expensive player around 8m in FA next year.

I'd rather have the best prospect available and move pieces around after that then get a mediocre guy. They've spoken quite a bit to Richardson. You could start Odrick for year one and have Richardson gain experience off the bench and in the nickel package. Deal Starks during the draft and gain a large amount of cap space (perhaps you can even move future salary forward, such as restructuring Wallace's deal to bring 8m from next year's cap hit forward).

28. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    The "shut-up and work" factor for Richardson is interesting. Being a Georgia graduate I was very aware of his comments about playing Georgia in Missouri's first SEC game. I believe his comments centered on referring to Georgia football as "old man football". His comments added considerable fuel and motivation to Georgia. I am not sure he is a Philbin guy. However, we will find out. I like his potential.

29. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    Here is a bomb to drop prior to the draft:
    Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones completed an official forty time of 4.92 seconds during the school's pro day.
    Some will point to this time as a reason for Jones "falling", but we believe this speed shows up on tape. Jones wins with snap anticipation and a great motor to work around the edge, but we question if he might be limited to that role early in his career due to a lack of a counter move. Jones also completed 20 bench press reps and a 9 foot, 3 inch broad jump, which would've tied for the worst among Combine participants. There is some buzz that Jones tweak a hamstring on his first run, but he isn't the athlete some made him out to be. (Seth Emerson on twitter; rotoworld.com, NFL Draft)

30. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    If we go into the draft without any major holes, then it is reasonable to assume we wouldn't receive significant contribution from all 5 premium picks. To that end, if they feel he is worth it, we would have the ammo to move up for Milliner.

31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't see Richardson being on their draft board at 12 to be honest.

I think THEIR list will come down to: Bjoern Werner, Tank Carradine, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant, Lane Johnson, Jarvis Jones, Tavon Austin.

I refuse to take Rhodes off on the basis of something someone in the front office told Mando. This time of year is too full of disinformation for that. But I will put Trufant on the short list because of it, because what was said passes the plausibility test.

32. Lee2000

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I just want better payoff on these last two drafts (this one and last year). Can't be much worse than 08 and 09. I am willing to take any player that produces and sticks on this team for more than 4 years. I could be any one of the guys ya'll have mentioned that is not a qb or center.

33. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'm suprised Mando didnt realize the strong possibility of his source feeding him 100% bull****.

34. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Stop lying. You're not surprised at all. :)

mbsinmisc likes this.
  35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO most of what is being reported here is just common sense. I have no idea whether Armando has a real source or if such a source would tell him the truth. I would guess that the team's board at #12 has Werner and Austin at the top and maybe Jones depending on what the team doctors think about his stenosis. I think OT could be on the list after those, but I doubt CB is on the list at 12. I fully expect that by the time the draft rolls around we will have signed a T and a CB although I don't know whether they will be big enough names that people here will think they aren't still needs. But Ireland has said in the past that his goal is to go into the draft without a must-fill need so I expect he'll do that here.

36. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    I don't know that I'd expect Werner to be their top choice among the pass rushers. He's been a left side guy and while he is a good run defender and can give some of what they seem to like about Odrick/Vernon at RDE, they might be interested in a more athletic, dynamic guy to rotate in that spot.

37. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think Werner is a perfect fit opposite Wake. In fact, I would guess that Werner and Austin are the two players that most fit what the Dolphins want. I wouldn't be surprised if there has been discussions about ways to try and get both of them. I doubt it's likely but I wouldn't be surprised if they are debating trading up if one or the other falls a bit. I think something like that could be the "exciting" draft plan that the reported (Silva?) mentioned.

38. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Right now the people inside the Dolphins facility are buzzing about Tavon Austin. That's who they think Jeff Ireland is taking at 12. I've heard that from two sources now.

That doesn't mean they're right. In fact I think it means it's still less likely than likely. It just is what it is.

I agree Werner is a fit for them at right end. He's more efficient rushing the passer from the right side than the left. He's a guy that feels the snap more consistently than just about any player at that position I've seen. He sees things and reacts to them at a different speed. It's why he gets his hands on so many batted balls. He sees the quarterback and the backfield and reacts to them in time to retrace into the passing lane, jump, and get his hands up. That same hard wiring is why he's able to react to the snap more quickly than the other guys. There's also an explosiveness to his movement that is underrated. A full body snap that maybe isn't measured well in a vertical or broad jump.

He needs coaches in his ear about his tendency to stop before the whistle. But I have seen so many defensive linemen come out with the same issue that way and become totally different in the pros. Between pro coaches letting you know on a daily basis that that kind of sh-t doesn't fly at this level, and between your peers and teammates looking at you funny and saying the same, it seems like unless there's a serious and persistent conditioning problem, that kind of thing can be worked out.

The other thing he needs to do is learn some proper counters. His eyes are too good to be going outside shoulder every time. He should be using his gifted powers of observation and reaction to recognize a bad step from the offensive lineman or perhaps his shoulder pads turning too far, to where can use his hands, plant and either go inside him or drive his hands right into the breast plate and convert speed to power. But I think on the left side sometimes he's got too much he's reading in the backfield to do that as consistently. On the right side perhaps he's got less to read and can pay more attention to the tackle's leverage.

dwhorton and djphinfan like this.
  39. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    That Philbin response says everything about the structure of the team. Draft belongs SOLELY to ireland. He has [mis]Appropriated the Draft to himself.

40. Fineas

Jan 5, 2008
    Could be. We do have the ammunition to do it if either one falls a little bit. I agree that Werner fits what they want if what they want is what they did last year. But I'm not sure it is. In some ways, this offseason has been about getting rid of guys that played at least reasonably well last year but who arguably aren't ideal fits for what they really want to do going forward. Arguably, Long, Bush, SSmith, Dansby, Burnett, and Fasano fit in this category. So I don't necessarily assume that what they did last year is what they want to do going forward. It may, but it may not. I think they are using this offseason to remodel the team to fit the new regime's vision.