1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are you worried that Hene and Merling still have not signed?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinphever, Jul 25, 2008.

1. phinphever

phinphever Punk, Make My Day!!

Dec 20, 2007
    Ocala, FL
    Are you worried that Hene and Merling still have not signed?

I don't want any more drama, please sign guys we don't need any more distractions.

2. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Yeah I'm am. I was hoping that both would be signed already, maybe today is the day...

3. Irish Phin Fan

Irish Phin Fan New Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I agree. Let's get it done and concentrate on playing football.

4. DolfanCole

DolfanCole Season Ticket Holder

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I think Henne is really shooting himself in the foot right now. Both Henne and Merling actually. But, if there was any chance, any chance whatsoever that Henne could start this year, I think it's gone now. Merling, on the other hand, has a great opportunity to get in the mix with Taylor gone. The longer he's out, but bigger the hill he has to climb.

5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I'm not worried yet. I bet they're both on the field before Monday.

6. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i'm not as much worried as i am aggreivated. with all the talk our owner and fo has done the past couple yrs about getting guys in here that will be signed in time for camp it seems to be getting worse and worse. usually we have that one guy(normally the first rounder) who drags into tc late and now we have 2 2nd rounders holding out. and looks like it could be the same or worse next yr with having 2 more 2nds and possibly the first doing the same.
    now thats not to say that i think they should give in to the first contract and give the players they may not deserve yet being unproven rookies but our gm(whoever it is)should have no excuse for why a second rounder much less 2 holding out still the day before tc. i am tired of hearing excuses from our rookies not doing so great their first yr because they missed x amount of time in training camp and struggled to play catch up.

7. IDFinFan

IDFinFan New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    A lot of 2nd rounders are not signed this year. It is due to the opting out of the CBA. Its not necessarily the agent/player/gms fault. They will be signed very soon.

8. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    I'll have to check, but it sure does seem like a lot of players have not signed yet. It's always a "game" where everyone wants to wait for someone else to sign to help gauge the market. In doing so, it keeps getting later and later for players to sign because no agent wants to take that first step and end up costing his client (and thus himself) money.

9. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    No in Henne's case. 2 reasons:

1. it clarifies the qb comp in that the later he comes in the less chance he has to start, which IMO benefits him the most as he is a rookie, the skill positions at Wr and TE arent settled, teh o-line is basically new again. I stated it it with Beck, it is not condicive to success for rookie qbs.

2. It allows us to see what Beck has while grooming Henne.

Henne wont be a long holdout if he does holdout. I am not concerned and similar to Quinn may end up benefiting him more by forcing him to sit and learn while the offense gels.

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Don't give a hoot about Henne, yet. Merling we need to get signed, NOW! :tantrum:

Die_Nasty likes this.
  11. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    you are correct sir. i did a tiny bit of checking myself and there are a good number of guys who haven't signed yet. you know you normally have to wait even longer to hear guys signing while everyone waits for the #1 pick to "gauge" the price with so and so getting x amount it gives somewhat of a table to work with. i thought by signing jake pre-draft things would go a little quicker for everyone but it doesn't seem to be the case.

DolfanCole likes this.
  12. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    I don't think either one of them are 'holding out', just trying to get the details ironed out.
    I guarantee they both want to be there tomorrow morning to start camp, and I think they will be.

13. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Merling just signed. Henne expected to be in camp.

14. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Why exactly is it gone now?? What has he missed that's so important?

15. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Yep. Henne can sign later or tomorrow and he'll still be in camp competing.

16. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    In a word, "time". I don't suppose this helps out either with his relationship with the coach and front office. Definitely starting out on the wrong foot there, whether it's ultimately his fault or not.

17. Crunkcore

Crunkcore The Crunk One

Jun 17, 2008
    I'm not worried, they'll get signed.

18. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    No he hasn't. There haven't been any off-season activities for about 6 weeks. Training camp practices don't start until tomorrow. As for the relationship with the coach and front office, they know it's a business. His shot at starting doesn't go out the window just yet.

19. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    Exactly. And the whole idea that Henne has already determined his "fate" for this year is ludicrous. He'll get to camp, he'll learn the playbook, and if the situation is right, he'll play this year. Marino didn't start until like week 5 or so.

I think we need to keep the Henne pick in perspective. He wasn't drafted to start this year. He was drafted to provide a long term solution (and competition) to the QB position.

20. DolfanCole

Jan 4, 2008
    Hampton, VA
    But yet it always comes back on the player. They aren't totally without blame in this process.

Now, I was not expecting Henne to start this year anyway. I just think that the worst thing that could happen for him is to show up late to camp, obviously the later, the worse for him.