1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we in the market for Greg Olsen?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, Mar 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    We know we need help at TE and Chicago looks like they are willing to trade him with their recent FA pickup at the position. Doesn't look like we are making any move at WR via FA, so maybe we can upgrade our TE position via trade.

thoughts?

2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I doubt it, we put a tender on Fasano and the Bears pickup is a blocking TE, not a pass threat like Olsen.

3. SCPhinFan

SCPhinFan Junior Member

Jan 6, 2008
    I hope not. I really do not want to give a 2nd rounder for him. We can pick up a real nice TE prospect in the 3rd-5th round in the draft. This draft is loaded with athletic, fast, pass catching TE's.

4. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    with martz being there the bears will be shopping olsen for pick thats why they brought in a blocking tight end.
    they really have no need in that style offense for a pass catching TE especially one like olsen
    with that said he is nothing special anyways.
    save the draft pick for d help

5. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    How about Schaffer from Denver is he still out there?

6. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I hear ya, but its still not the Bears way. I would be shocked if they trade him. They are still the Bears.

Martz does not last long where ever he goes.

7. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    they will be looking to put up as many points as possible but olsen doesnt fit and they desperately need picks
    with the lame duck coaching situation and a gm in angelo who is barely hanging on look for them to pull out all the stops and do what they can to throw together a good season
    that is why they spent so much money on peppers
    they will spend whatever is needed regardless of the future
    they also need OL help real bad

8. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    i keep hearing someone might snag fasano but i doubt it. i like what i saw in kory sperry, hopefully the FO feels the same and keeps him. i would like to see us grab a late round TE in the draft. we need to find someone that henne feels comfortable with for the long term not someone just to come in for a year or 2.

9. Finatic8480

Finatic8480 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Miami
    If Fins sign a FS, I have no problem with them giving a second for Olsen.

10. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Active Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    no way our FO uses a 2nd rounder on a TE, not even for a 3rd.they wouldnt give up a 3rd for boldin, but you think a 2nd is okay for a TE?

Killerphins likes this.
  11. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    no way i would do that
    still too many needs on defense to give up a second for an over rated TE
    Olsen isn't worth that kind of comp come on now

12. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Man I would rather see that second used for Cody. We need someone clogging the middle so Dansby can kill people!

13. markcalius

markcalius New Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I can see it. Olsen is 6'6" with 4.5 speed from the '07 draft class. Boldin is at the tail end of his career with suspect durability.

There are going to be some good TEs available to us in the second round, but Olsen is probably as good and is proven.

I think we have less at TE than we do at WR.

14. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'd pull hair out of my head if we're willing to part with a 2nd for Olsen but not a 3rd for Boldin.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    don't think we are in the market
    wonder how Turner would play out
    as a WR/TE/Slot ie RedZone play-maker?
    w/ the return of Pennington,
    Pat white will be looking to blossom
    in the WR corp, Special teams & WC
    got a lot going on in the receiving department

16. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    if you can't block in line as a TE, odds are our FO isn't looking at you, much less for a 2nd-round pick. i like Olsen as a receiving threat, but i don't think our FO is interested.

i could see the Patriots making a move for Olsen, unfortunately. he would be a good fit for their offense.

17. Vision

Vision Member

Mar 6, 2010
    As someone mentioned, I'd rather kick the tires on Scheffler. He could be had for a mid-rounder, or even a 2011 conditional pick (say a 5th that could become a 4th type deal).

It is a deep draft with pass catching TE's who can stretch the seams. Plus, Nalbone and Sperry are a couple of in-house bodies who could develop.

I'd rather spend the picks on making our defense better and getting a big-play WR.

18. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    the only way i see us getting olsen is by player trade only and i dont think we have anybody worth a trade for olsen.we could send them penny for a little insurance if cutler comes out throwing picks galore again but they would want more than just penny maybe penny and one of our #2 wr's.

19. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Olsen is one of the better pass catching tight ends in the game, I don't know why so many people think otherwise. However, he is not a good blocker which means, as someone else already pointed out, we won't be interested. That's the reason we traded for Fasano in the first place, because he is a solid blocking tight end.

20. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    we dont neccisarily need a good blocking t.e thats what we have fasano and haynos for.bringing in a pass catching t.e will only benefit fasano as well.martin wasnt the gratest blocker either but he really helped opne up our offense and it showed when he left.

21. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    how about getting his name right first

22. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    The Broncos's placed a second round tender on Scheffler. I like Olsen a lot, but if we were to take a TE with our 2nd round pick, I'd rather do it for a certain other Miami TE. Jimmy Graham is going to be great. Though I'm not too fond of drafting a TE so early, but I do think a pass catching TE may be better for Henne than a WR.

23. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Well I got this thing called Hooked On Phonics, so it is a work inprogress. Thanks for your support :up:

24. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    David Martin was far from a blocking TE though. And it's been reported the coaching staff is high on Jimmy Graham, he's a pass catching TE as well. So maybe they will go for a pass catching TE. Though I'm not sure it will be Olsen, possibly Watson or someone in the draft.

25. Vision

Vision Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Yes, they placed the tender on him, but they'll most assuredly trade him. He has fallen completely out of favor with Denver, and I think he could be had for less than a second. When I said kick the tires, I literally meant just inquire to his cost. If he can't be had for less, you don't make a deal.

26. Vision

Vision Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Watson is a guy I'm surprised we haven't shown more interest in. Saves a draft pick, and seems the type of TE we're looking for. His blocking has developed into being solid, and his athletic ability can stretch the seam.

He is inconsistent, and might want too much money though.

27. flynryan151

flynryan151 New Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Thanks RnR that is the info I was looking for. I'm trying to follow this on a PDA phone in Mezico so I am real limited.