1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are we bad scouting Lb's?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by dolfan40, Sep 8, 2014.

1. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    If u see the money we threw at Dansby wheeler and Ellerbe???

Hickey is not bad at it he had Ruud Labeonte David ..but we gotta get better in that department Jelani was playing unbelieveable he is fast as hell!!

2. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

We WERE bad at scouting LBs when the ginger that shall not be named was here. Hickey seems to be better at coming to a decision on LB talent (Tripp, McCain). Having to bring in more non-starter level LBs isn't going to vastly improve the LB corps, but I believe this LB coach can patchwork it together well, in symmetry with the secondary (like yesterday's many different formations and approaches after the starters were all out).

FinSane likes this.
  3. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Are you really asking if we are now currently bad at scouting LBs with Tripp and McCain being as beastly as they seem? Idk man. It seems like it's a forte of Hickey more than it is a weak spot, but we need more time and more laid out on the table to really 'judge'.

4. dolfan40

dolfan40 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Germany
    Im talking the past not this year i know hickey is good at evaluating talent..

5. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Ah. I guess i'm confused between the title and the post itself, are we currently bad at scouting linebackers? It seems like we are a heck of a lot better than we have been recently, with the no name flyers we have that are contributing big time. WERE we bad at scouting linebackers who can take proper angles, wrap up properly and actually read a qb? Yes. Yes x 100.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My understanding of the Ellerbe and Wheeler selections is that they were hand picked by our coaching staff so if we were bad before we may still be.

7. dWreck

dWreck formerly dcaf

Oct 23, 2011
    Sebring, FL
    Was that the case? I remember the second FA started JI made the huge splashes shortly after. Either way, I see Hickey as an immediate improvement in that particular dept. but how much of one remains to be seen.

8. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    There were alot of things the former GM was bad at scouting. Like every position except maybe DL.

9. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

May have been...and you'll note the departure of said LB coach after last season. Coincidence?

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Ireland did ok scouting DBs too, IMO.

He was involved in the Wake signing, and he was a 3-4 OLB at first. He drafted Misi, not a bad choice. He drafted AJ Edds who would have been a good player for us, had he not tore up his knee as a rookie. He signed and re-signed Trus, and we were lucky to have him to cover for Misi yesterday. It seemed more of a Parcells thing in signing Dansby, but most fans were thrilled at the time and Ireland was the GM. He also signed Burnett in 2011. So he has been up and down on LBs.

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Yes. Edwards left for a promotion. He is the Viks DC now.

12. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    See Dion Jordan..lol

13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Most of the players he bought in were ok, but not difference makers. That's the crucible for Ireland's failure here all around. He didnt manage the roster as bad as Wanny, but he did manage it badly enough.