1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are the Jets are an old team?

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by BicketyBam, Oct 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I've seen this come up a few times recently. Are the Jets really *that* old? I know there are statitics out there that give you average age as well as average pro experience. But I think you should also look at position by position.

I did this, and came to the following conclusion. On offense, the Jets are not what I would call old. They compare favorably to the young Miami Dolphins:

QB Sanchez 23 Henne 25
    LT Ferguson 26 Long 25
    FB Conner 23 Polite 29
    WR Holmes 26 Marshall 26
    WR Edwards 27 Hartline 23
    WR Cotchery 28 Bess 25
    TE Keller 26 Fasano 26
    RG Moore 30 Jerry 24
    C Mangold 26 Berger 28
    LG Slauson 24 Incognito 27
    RB Greene 25 Brown 28
    RB Tomlinson 31 Williams 33
    RT Woody32 Carey 29

(I went by the depth chart, so I apologize if I got any of your guys wrong.)

I don't think Woody and Moore are old based on the position they play. They are on the back half of their careers, but it's not like this is the last year for either. The rest of the line is young. The QB is a baby. Greene and Keller are young. I don't see any reason why this group on offense can't be together for several years (excluding cap reasons).

Defense is another story. This is where the Jets are long in the tooth, especially when compared to Miami.

LDE Ellis 33 Langford 24
    ROLB Pace 29 Wake 28
    SS Leonhard 27 Bell 32
    RILB Harris 26 Dansby 28
    FS Pool 26 Clemons 25
    LOLB Thomas 31 Misi 23
    NT Pouha 31 Starks 26
    RCB Cromartie 26 Allen 27
    RDE Devito 26 Odrick 22
    LILB Scott 30 Crowder 26
    LCB Revis 25 Davis 22

They need to get younger on the defensive line. Ellis is a greybeard. Pouha is getting up there and Jenkins is perpetually hurt. Harris is a stud, but he is the youngest out of the LB group. At least the secondary is fairly young (and if Revis gets healthy and Wilson develops into what they prject him to be, they will an elite bunch).

So while they are definitely older on defense, I wouldn't say it is a roster of aging stars put together for one final run. But there is no doubt that they need to get some youth in on the line and at linebacker.

Just my two cents...from the "enemy." :lol:

2. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Might I recommend some spaces between the players. That is a ***** to read.

I personally don't feel the Jets problem will be age. It will be the cap as they will only be able to keep at best, one of Cromartie, Holmes, and Edwards after they pay Harris, and Keller is surely going to want a raise also. If it comes down to a choice of one, I would keep Holmes. Wilson would need to grow up real fast however. I didn't realize your front 7 was that old though.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Cap is going to be a BEATCH, and the problem is, there is zero depth at any position besides WR.

4. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I reformatted it. I tried a copy and paste from a spreadsheet and it didn't come out as planned :lol: Hopefully it is readable now.

Clipse likes this.
  5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Looks much better, thanks.

6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    That's probably the Jets biggest problem. Not a whole lot of depth.

7. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    the new york jets. sponsored by geritol :lol: you have age cropping up. i think the more important factor is your contract situation. still you will need to start adding more youth over the next two years. tannenbaum is great so we will see how you do

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Crowder is 26 with 64 year old knees.

9. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I've been happy with Tannenbaum so far, but he needs to addess the defense in the draft. They need to pull the plug on Gholston. If Ryan can't get something out of him, I doubt anyone can. What a bust.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  10. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    What is the plan for RB? Williams is ancient and Brown looks like he is slowing down (and an injury waiting to happen). Who is Lex Hillard and is he any good? Long term replacement?

11. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    the way i see our next draft is a RB in the first, a TE in the 3rd, two OLs, one ILB and whoever else the rest of the way. Hilliard is like Conner I would say. Not exectly similar but basically Hilliard is three yards and a pile of dust kind of running back. ok in a pinch but not someone you want to be your number one guy

12. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Thanks for the info.

RB has to be one of the easiest positions to fill on a roster. I'd consider picking another position in the first round. How many times do you see 3rd round and lower RB's out peform 1st rounders? A lot.

13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    true but we need a gamebreaker. we'll see how the draft shapes up. might end up going offensive lineman with our first rounder :lol: need to see what juniors will declare and whether we are going to have a season or not

14. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ronnie doesnt look like he's slowing down, you cant do much when you average 12 carries a game anyway.

I do think we need to draft a RB though.

15. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    and also some of the key guys are set to become free agents in

Edwards, Holmes, Harris, Cromartie....anyone else ?

16. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    but his knees are not the problems for some years now IIRC, its his groin and shoulder that was bothering him last and this year and before that it was his foot no ?

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Crowder's been Daggerin'.

18. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    No one cares about either offense. Both are good but neither will be elite. Sanchez and Henne will never be Aaron Rodgers, and I'm still not even close to being impressed or concerned about Shonn Greene. There are only 3 super elite players on both combined offenses: Jake Long, Nick Mangold, and Brandon Marshall. Well 4, depending on how you look at LT. He's is a HOFer and playing well, so I'll give them that.

On Defense: Pace is an old 29 where as Wake is a young 28. Ellis is a concern as he will be pretty much irreplaceable. Bart I don't think has been that great anyway, and his age will start to hinder him even more. But Thomas and Harris are studs. The wrong LBs get the glory for some reason in NY.(probably because of their mouths).

I don't think either team has much to worry about age-wise. Jets are older on defense but only because we are SUPER young. And you can see that in the way we play.

19. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    Jets are only old on defense, particually the front 7. I don't think depth is going to be a problem. Jets haven't traded their draft picks for once and we can select the BPA for pretty much every round. However, I still think Tanny will trade up because he likes quality over quanity.

We're in good hands. Our GM is a genius. Our coach is getting their. Franchise QB. We're always going to have a great defense as long as Rex is here. We're good.

20. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The Jets are certainly older than us, but I would not call them old. That could certainly change in the next 2 years depending on how FA and drafting plays out.

21. frags

frags New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Boston, MA...
    The only back I see worth spending a 1st R pick on is M.Ingram from Alabama. Nonetheless, I concur with Bick...RBs are plentiful later on. I do understand your point about a gamebreaker, however I think we would be better served by adding another Rush OLB or OT.

22. TheFish

TheFish New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    I don't care what the Jets are i don't like em...

23. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Thanks for sharing

sent from my EVO 4G