1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are starting qb will be named by week 3 pre-season

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyNeverInhaled, May 25, 2012.

1. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    i am surprised i didnt see a thread on this. i read this from the bottom of the espn screen earlier today. it said that philbin said we would know who are starting qb is by no later than week 3 of pre-season. i guess whoever is starting in that game is our guy.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Can't wait to see them all in person here in Charlotte for week 2 of the preseason!!!

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Don't do that creepy stalker thing you do.

You know that thing that involves a window, some bushes, a donkey and a bottle of Nair...

4. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    If it's Tannehill, which I hope it isn't just yet, I refuse to place undue expectations on him this early. We must let him grow at his own pace.

dolfan7171 and PhinsRock like this.
  5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is how it normally works though, I'd think just keeping an eye on who is getting the most first team reps in practice will tell the tale sooner.

6. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Of all the weeks for me to take vacation, it's that one. I know it's only preseason but I wanted to go.

SICK likes this.
  7. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

I'll be there! I'm suprised how expensive it is for pre-season though.

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Gerrard looks really good & has a ton of valuable experience but it's Moore's start to lose. they will compete. don't expect to see Tannehill until mid-season at earliest, just got too much new to adjust in the game. suspect it would be a very rocky start if a rookie QB took the reigns of the team adjusting to a new offense straight up in the NFL. not the best of ideas. wouldn't want to see a repeat of Beck before we have the team set to play. we shall see.

9. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    [​IMG]

Fin D likes this.
  10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    I got my tickets for free

[​IMG]

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    at some point we need to limit our expectations collectively of the new Miami Dolphins under the Philbin reign. this will be a very different team & may take four or five games of the regular season to catch onto properly, having said that I expect a very competitive & exciting season in 2012.

MAFishFan likes this.
  12. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    :no:

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    lol *Our

14. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Honestly, is this news? I mean, normally week 4 of preseason is last roster spot battles, starters get limited snaps, and plenty of rest for week one of the regular season. To be honest, I hope our starting qb, whoever he will be, will be ahead enough where we ALL know who he is at the LATEST week 3 of preseason.

Sceeto likes this.
  15. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Was thinking about hitting up the charlotte preseason game...but ****. For that price...for preseason? Not so sure its worth bothering O_O

16. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Now now, lets temper are expectations if Tannehill is indeed named starter.

MAFishFan likes this.
  17. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    It's news when you're starved for news.

eltos_lightfoot likes this.
  18. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

More and more....Im getting this feeling that we will have very good QB play this season, and it wont be Tannehill (I think he sits ).....

I think David Garrard will resurrect his career here and have numbers good enough to actually be in Pro Bowl discussion.

19. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Ain't that the truth.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  20. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Ok how much are the preseason tickets?

21. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I continue to think the signs point to David Garrard as the starter.

1. David is the guy that Joe Philbin helped pick. Matt Moore was inherited. It's reasonable to assume Philbin helped choose David because he exhibits qualities that Joe looks for in his starting quarterbacks. On the other hand, there's no better than a random chance that Matt Moore coincidentally exhibits all the same traits.

2. I can't help but think back to Philbin's backhanded "praise" of Matt Moore, something along the lines of "unorthodox" or something like that. He was basically saying this guy doesn't look like what you want in a quarterback but when it comes to game time he's effective (somehow). It just seemed so backhanded and only serves to emphasize the above, which is that Philbin picked Garrard because he looks like what Philbin thinks a quarterback should, whereas Joe even outright admits Moore does not.

3. Peter King wrote something about how much Joe Philbin in particular really likes David Garrard, so don't sleep on him in this QB competition. It just puts even more into the idea that Garrard was a Philbin pick.

4. Recently in this Q&A that ends with Philbin saying he'd like to announce his starter after Game 2 of the preseason, the thing he highlighted about the choice of that starter was leadership. To me, David Garrard is a veteran, an outspoken leader, and I think that's already showing up in the locker room. I thought it was weird how Tannehill talked about asking the other veterans questions and stuff and then later Matt Moore was asked if Tannehill has come up to him asking anything and basically Moore said no, but he's there as a resource if he needs him. To me that meant Tannehill was asking Garrard this stuff. I think other players will naturally be drawn to him as a leader, a little more so than Matt Moore...who may be under some strain because he's at a ripened age to be a franchise guy yet his team just drafted someone at #8 to be the franchise guy that they obviously don't see Moore as. A 34 year old Garrard is not as stressed about something like that because he's been there before, and knows that at his age and with his back problems, his days as a starter are numbered no matter what. Less stress could translate into better leadership, which is the thing Philbin is looking for.

5. There's also been suggestions by several folks that Matt Moore really doesn't look great in practice and looks better in the games than in practice. Philbin seems to be aware of that, hence the backhanded compliment I mentioned earlier about not looking very orthodox but then being effective in the games. Coaches always tend toward players that bring their game to practice. They understand there are guys who bring it more to the games than in practice but when it comes to competitions I think they tend toward the guys that practice well.

The big monkey wrench that could be thrown into all of this is Garrard's health. If there is ANY suggestion that his health may not hold up, they'll pass right over him no matter how much leadership he shows. It could be anything. Just a back strain that keeps him from practicing for a few days could be enough. They have to be confident he's going to make it from a health standpoint.

ssmiami and SICK like this.
  22. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    That timing is standard when you are preparing for the season.You want your starting QB to get reps with the starters.

I dont think the QB position is for Moore to lose.Its a new system and best performing QB in practices and the first two preseason games will start IMO.

IMO David Garrard has the advantage because his game is similar to what Philbin wants to establish.

23. thisperishedmin

Aug 17, 2011
    30 for the top level - 80-120+ for seats that would seem worthwhile. Are there better ways to find tickets I'm not aware of? Keep in mind - I've gotta add in some travel and accommodation as well...not that its something most dont do haha. Point is, for the price I'd rather wait for a regular season game I guess. Then again...Dolphins football - preseason or not :shifty:

24. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    the upper level seats arent bad at panthers stadium. and the tailgating rocks. i tailgate with the carolinahuddle guys. they are fantastic hosts, good sports, and take donations 100% of which go to bikes for tots. Its always great!

Plus you get a good look at our rookies and young guys. Especially Tannehill. And Cam Newton in person. woot woot!

25. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Expectations? All I know is that Tannehill isn't allowed to throw an incomplete pass. One ball hits the ground and it's back to the drawing board.

MAFishFan, SICK and Fin D like this.
  26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    expectations? Ryan Tannehill will be the Franchise QB
    the start may be determined by pre-season
    Gerrard or Moore should be given the start for 2012
    having said that
    if we lose three of the first four regular season games
    I believe Tannehill will make his debut in game five

if we show the ability to make a post season run with a veteran QB, he'll start next year

there are simply too many variables to deal with to start a rookie QB in a new completely new system with an entirely new coaching in face of the brutality & parity of the NFL today

27. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Pretty much common knowledge, considering this is a competition............... would be silly to make a decision before then, would be questionable to do it much later.

Still holding out hope that Moore will start and play lights out.... its not impossible !!!!! I feel this way because he played well last year, is entering his prime years, and could net us a pick if we traded him mid-season or tagged him at the end. Nothing against Garrard, i love the pickup.

While i'm on this subject..... what if Moore does play lights out all season and we get a wildcard, winning a playoff game....
    Lets say he throws 30 TDs and 15 INTs, plays well in the clutch, etc.... what do you do ? AJ Smith let Drew Brees walk, but he had shoulder issues. Do you let a proven starter walk, to possibly sign with a rival, because you just invested a lot in a prospect ?

28. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Paying for preseason tickets? :no:

Well maybe it's cuz I'm spoiled living in South Florida.

29. jboogie

jboogie The sky is NOT falling!

preseason tickets $100 each (x2). Seeing all 3 QBs take some snaps....priceless.

30. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Don't see exACTLY HOW THIS WOULD BE NEWS, EVERY TEAM HAS PRETTY MUCH CHOSEN THEIR STARTING qb BY WEEK THREE OF PRESEASON. mY BIGGEST QUESTION IS WILL IT BE mOORE OR gARARD. tANNEHILL SHOULD BE GIVEN AT LEAST HALF A SEASON TO ADJUST TO THE nfl d SCHEMES AND PLAYING SPEED.
    Rats, hate caps lock!

31. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Ok. Serious question here. Tannehill is gonna assimilate the new playbook relatively quickly because of his base knowledge of the system already. Camp and OTA will help familiarize himself with his teammates somewhat. How in the hell is holding a clip board gonna get him experience in the schemes and speed of the NFL? I mean camps and practices wont really help because full throttle doesn't happen until game one in the fall, so he will see some increase in speed but not really the full enchilada until he is staring down the barrel of a pro Defense this fall... :confused2:

32. thisperishedmin

Aug 17, 2011

Well...if you're twisting my arm like that maybe we will just go upper level :shifty:

33. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's actually the film work combined with what he sees from the sideline that will speed up his reads. People say "speed of the game" all the time meaning that the rush is faster and DBs close faster, but it's really a combination of that plus how quickly you can see and do everything you have to do as a QB. Tannehill will probably adjust to just the speed part pretty quick and he'll know the playbook pretty quick, but that's not the same as being able to recognize the coverage, anticipate and adjust. Just sitting in the film room with the starting QB and the coach as they discuss what the QB saw and how he reacted (or what he should have sen and how he should have reacted), will help Tannehill immensely.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    are school systems are ******.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  35. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Week 1- Matt Moore
    Week 2- David Garrard
    Week 3- ??????

36. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

ok that makes sense but still ultimately it won't make a lick of difference if he doesn't see it first hand, which makes me believe that this system will manufacture time for him on the field in real time even if he isn't day one starter.

37. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    hahaha yeahh priceless..100 bucks for a preseason ticket? pshhhhhhhhhh, save your money for a flight or gas money to the closet regular season game.

38. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    atleast it sounds the same. lol. i was mad at myself when i noticed what i did. i was wondering if the grammer nazi's would give me a hard time.

39. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    moore and gerrard are rookies to our new offense and our actual rookie isnt. lol. i see your point though and i agree. i will be happy with whoever wins the competition. its nice to have a qb competition. its also nice to have used a first round pick on a qb for the first time since i was born in 1983

40. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    our. lol

Rocky Raccoon likes this.