1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Phins Still 4-4 With Penny?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Southbeach, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I'm still trying to make some sense out of this QB switch. So I took a look at Henne, in the games we lost, to form an opinion if Penny would have made a difference.

Jets- 26-44, 363 yards, 2 TD's, 1 picks, Rating- 91.4

Pats- 28-38, 305 yards, 2 TD's, 3 picks. Rating- 81.4

Pitt- 23-36, 257 yards, 1 TD's, 1 picks, Rating- 94.3

Balt- 23-34, 231 yards, 0 TD's, 3 picks. Rating- 47.5

I can see where Penny may have made a difference vs the Ravens. Henne did not play very well. I fault the WR's on two of his picks but, he did make big mistakes.

The Pat's game was a comedy of errors from special teams. I don't think "Dan The Man" could have overcome that implosion.

Here's where it gets interesting. Against the Jets and Pitt, Henne played his best. His "leash" was extended, due to game situations, and he responded with Pro Bowl type performances in close games. I doubt Penny would have done as well.

I do not see our record being different in the first half, and have my doubts it will be as good in the second half with Penny as opposed to what Henne may have done vs a weaker schedule. I believe we will finish 6-2 with either but, the experience for Henne would have been priceless. JMO.

ToddsPhins, icx and SeanP like this.
  2. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    If Penny converts one of the first two drives against Pitt into a TD instead of a field goal we win comfortably.

Puka-head and Miguel like this.
  3. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I don't know if Penny gets Ninkovich'd twice in the first half of the Pats game, but who knows how else it turns out. I hate these kind of games, because you never know what plays, if any, would make a difference.

4. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    How Did Pennington do his last game against the Ravens?

4 ints

Just saying.

You can't go by how you think Penny might have done, because we don't know, he was 0-4 before getting hurt last year also.

We just don't know.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I believe we'd be two or three wins ahead with Pennington
    speculation only, who really knows
    lets see how he plays & the offense responds to him on Sunday
    no excuses, either he'll step up or the season has ended

6. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    0-2, with that second loss being the Colts game.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  7. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Just make it simpler by asking which games were lost because of the offense? The Pit game is the only one I could make a case for. Miami gave up 31 to the Jets, 41 to NE, and 26 to BAL. And we all know you got jobbed against Pit.

Personally, I don't think you win with CP in the Pit game. They have a damn good defense and they are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Going forward, CP has a good chance of winning some games that CH might not have. But looking back and lamenting that your record would have been much better had CP started from day 1 is a thin argument. Defense and poor special teams contributed to your losses way more than the offense. Just my opinion.

ToddsPhins, icx, SeanP and 1 other person like this.
  8. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey

Not to mention Henne got hit a ton in the Raven game, Pennington might not have survived that in one piece.

9. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    You are dellusional. I can't take anything you say seriously when you post nonsense like that. Name the two or three games that CP would have won? NY? Henne threw for over 350 while your defense let Sanchez look like Manning. NE? Special teams nightmare. Is CP going to block on FG's and punts? Baltimore? Your defense got smoked. 400+ yards. Come on, dude. Be real. Like I said, going forward, CP probably gives you a better chance to win. But looking back, I don't see him winning any more games that CH.

10. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Fair point. I like Penny and I hope he doesn't get hurt.

I don't want to get inviolved with the argument of whether Miami will be better with CP now (even though I think they probably will). But the look back stuff is driving me crazy. It's like no one wants to acknowledge the other definencies on their team that contributed in a major way to your losses.

Please note I am not bashing Miami. Every team has holes, including my Jets.

ToddsPhins, icx and Bpk like this.
  11. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I find it scary that I agreed with everything a Jet fan said! :cry:

Puka-head, ToddsPhins and BicketyBam like this.
  12. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

For emphasis

13. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

The French have a word I like a lot. It's called Le Proof. Some Dolphins fans don't have it.

14. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Well, isn't this entire thread a giant what if exercise?

15. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  16. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Agreed. I do not see us having a better record. To go a step further, in the loss to the Jets, one of the best D's in the league, Henne was better than Flacco, Brady, Farve, and Rodgers.

Against the Steelers, the best D in the league, Henne was better than Ryan, Flacco, and everyone else not named Brees, who beat him by a bit.

This is not a reason to bench a young QB, it's a reason to believe in him.

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I disagree. Of the four losses, I how many can be put on the Offense? If it isn't four, why was Henne benched? I agree he **** himself this year, but I don't see the wins with anyone else. The only game I could see us winning with a QB, and not a Pennington QB, is the Jets game. But when Henne gave us a lead, the D gave it up anyway.

ToddsPhins and BicketyBam like this.
  18. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    To be fair, Chad Henne didn't have Alleman and Ndukwe blocking for him.

19. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

Couldn't agree with you more....

God, now I have to go take a shower.... I just feel dirty for agreeing with a Jets fan.

20. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    If the QB makes one of the many plays that were left on the field against PIT we win that game.

21. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Again, it's a giant what if. What if Pennington doesn't get picked twice and the Dolphins are up 21-3 on the Pats at the half? What if Pennington stretches those last two and a half minutes and gets a FG to put us up in the Steelers game? What if Pennington throws an int on the Bengals game on that final drive and they manage to pull out a win on us? What if Thigpen comes in and racks up 500 scores? The title of the thread is are the Phins still 4-4 with Penny, and the best that can be done is string together an endless series of what-ifs to justify whatever viewpoint you hold.

siciliansith likes this.
  22. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area

The Ravens game goes purely on the defense that got man handled for 4 quarters... AND I am talking manhandled!

The Jets game we probably win if not for the special teams.

the Pittsburg game is the only one that I can say was there for the taking BUT the offense didn't convert the opportunities they got.

SO "I" would say the special teams was responsible for 2 games, the defense for 1 and the offense for the other (in fairness to all).

23. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    It is, to a degree. I've found posters here to be very knowledgeable, have the ability to look back and say Henne cost us that game, and have a fair opinion if Penny would have made a difference.

I do not think he would have, and see little reason to bench Henne.

24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The difficulty with answering this question is that CP throws a more catchable ball than Henne. Since quite a few of the INTs and drive stalls were the fault of WR drops, it could be argued that some of those drops wouldn't have occurred. That completely changes the dynamic of the game. Some of those defensive breakdowns might not have happened. Some of those stalled drives could have ended in scores, etc. That could have been the difference in every game but the NE where the loss was almost entirely b/c of the STs.

emocomputerjock likes this.
  25. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    That's because you're assuming everything else went the same, and that Penny being in there doesn't change anything else.

26. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Fair point. However, it's hard to dispute that Henne played better than Pro Bowl QB's vs two of the best D's there is in spite of how catchable his passes are.

27. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Why do we do this to ourselves. Hell we wouldn't have been 4-4 if we would have taken advantage of some opportunities, hadn't kicked field goals and got the calls we should have.
    Way too many ifs and basically a pointless thread.

28. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    How about we agree that it is not a forgone conclusion that CP would have made a difference? I agree that it is difficult to play the what if game. But it *can* be easier. Let's use my team as an example.

It is very fair to state that the offense lost both games for the Jets: 10-9 to Baltimore and 9-0 to GB. You would be hard pressed to place the blame on any other phase of the team, other than offense. If you hold a team to 10 or less and lose, blame the offense or the coaching. But in Miami's case, it is nowhere near that cut and dried.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  29. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    I am not assuming the way Henne played in two losses vs Jets and Pitt.

30. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    It is and it isn't. It was created because it's been posted that CP should have been inserted earlier and your record would have been better. That's a pretty sketchy claim, that's all. But I hear you. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts..... you get the idea.:lol:

ToddsPhins likes this.
  31. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    I was at the game when Penny got hurt against the Pats. Yeah, I gotta admit. I was part of that crowd that was cheering.

32. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    No, those are facts, it happened the way it happened. You have nothing to go on but butterflies and puppy farts to say that Pennington wouldn't have done better, the same, worse, or whatnot. Which is the point I'm trying to make. It's not a what-if game to a degree, it's a what-if game in it's entirety. Offense, defense, special teams, everything could possibly change as a result of having Pennington in there, and to play this game means that the only thing that can be done is to come up with an imaginary set of what-ifs to fit your preconceived viewpoint on the Henne v Pennington debate.

33. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    It's a giant circle jerk where no resolution is possible. Just like when you're dreaming you're banging some hot beautiful broad but you can never blow your wad. It's frustrating and you wish it never happened. :up:

siciliansith likes this.
  34. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    Killer, Why respond to a "pointless thread" with a more than pointless post?

Just pickin on ya Pal, as you are apt to do. :yes:

Killerphins likes this.
  35. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Fair enough I'll play along and say we would be in worse shape.
    Pennington hasn't been healthy remember. Playing with an injured QB is never a good idea. You hear that Herm Edwards. :wink2:

Southbeach likes this.
  36. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    No butterflies or puppy farts here, never heard that before. LOL

My main point was to show that Henne did not play badly in 3 of 4 losses, and that the really bad game vs the Ravens should not have him on the bench. JMHO, butterflies and puppy farts to be damned. :yes:

37. Dolfan984

Dolfan984 Underrated Free Agent

Apr 26, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Pittsburgh. We convert any of those first quarter FGs into TD and Miami wins. Chad Pennington is money in the red zone, and we held their pass rush in check nearly all game.

38. Southbeach

Southbeach Banned

Aug 22, 2010
    That's FRAKIN PATHETIC for any "so-called" football fan.

39. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    There is a reaon why Pit is #1 in the NFL with a 15.4 ppg allowed average. I don't think you can assume *any* QB scores TD's in those spots.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  40. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    That statistic is also the reason why you can't assume the Dolphins win that game even if the refs get the call right.

BicketyBam likes this.