1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aquavision. Jake Grove/Vontae Davis

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Jul 16, 2009.

1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Paraphrasing

Jake Grove is listed as top concern coming into camp for this guy (don't know his name?). Dolphins have to be a running football team. Establish ground game. Starts with Jake Grove. Has to play some of the best NT in the league. Has thick base.

"I think the biggest thing is dependability. certain players play with leverage and jake grove has tremendous leverage and first step quickness. he is very smart" - jeff ireland

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsit...p?category=33292&search=Tonight&mediaid=43313

The jake grove one is 7/15/09 titled "Jake Grove".

Paraphrasing

Vontae Davis.

Getting comfortable with speed in OTA. Focusing on showing what he plays like in pads - physical play. Doesn't think about playing the Terrell Owens/Randy Mosses of the world and trusts in his coaches to help him prepare for them.

The vontae davis one is 7/15/09 titled "Vontae Davis".

Thinks Vontae will be interesting to watch and we'll see the best of him in pads. A lot to learn. Think S.Smith has a little bit of an edge on Davis if you hear people talking about the two. "There's a reason vontae davis is considered the best cornerback coming out last year". He's gotta be a guy that attacks the ball that makes plays that forces turnovers.

Who starts?

http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsit...p?category=33292&search=Tonight&mediaid=43313

Sorry I don't know how to link to the individual videos...

2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    That's interesting to read.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I think the Von-Vis S-Smith thing could turn into a Pheeenominal draft for us folks, I really do
    As well as Will Allen has played, he could possibly have a tough time getting on the field nexr year (2010 Season mind you)

I think the Grove situation is very pivotal in regards to our success. If he pans out as hoped, we control tempo of games and keep the Patsies off the field

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    In regards to Vontae Davis and his lack of concern against players like Terrell Owens and Randy Moss, I think that he is comfortable with himself because of his stature and build. I know he's not built like Sean Smith in terms of height but he is thick and has great muscle mass. He can go up against a player like Terrell Owens and have the ability to bump him with minimal issue in my opinion. As for Randy Moss, I think Vontae can also make Moss uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Vontae can match up with Moss immediately but I think that he can make Moss uncomfortable to a certain extent. Moss hates contact so if you beat him up, he'll eventually fade away. Don't give him the sideline, force him to the middle of the field and jam him as often as you can. Eventually, he'll try to avoid the abuse and it'll rattle him IMO.

PhinsRock and anlgp like this.
  5. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Good points as always Alen

I like the scenario of Moss having to face Smith, whom is very similar in size and then Davis who will definately THUMP him every chance he gets.

And I agree Davis will woork him to the middle just so our two STUD safety's can take turns knocking him around

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    FYI my man, Todd Bowles mentioned that V Davis has to improve his foot speed and conditioning, Bowles said that he can be fast, but he also can have slow footwork.

Davis on Turner in TC should be almost as fun as JT and Wake on Long and Carey.

PhinsRock, alen1 and anlgp like this.
  7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I didn't hear about that but it makes sense as the reason to what I was saying in the other thread that me and you talked about Vontae. His foot speed and lack of willingness at all times is concerning.

padre31 likes this.
  8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I remember that conversation Alen, eh, Bowles could be nitpicking, trying to push Vontae, our positional coaches virtually never speak in the media.

Conditioning I can see, our program is simply brutal Alen, Davis is (IMHO) used to a much lower level of conditioing then what Strength Coach Thomas demands of the players.

Speed Guys tend to be primadonnas, it's been like that for decades...

What bothers me about Davis is ball skills, I've seen him in run support, I've seen him return kicks, I haven't seen Davis on stuff like jump balls and fade routes, those are Jason Allen's bane, I have to see Davis in a J Allen situation and doing better then Allen has done.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He may be nitpicking and possibly just saying that to push Vontae, as you state. Personally, I take it with a grain of salt because of how organizations speak during this time of the year.

Yeah I remember you questioning his ball skills. I still think they're good but we each have our own opinion. :up:

padre31 likes this.
  10. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Play him like Sheldon Brown plays him. Knock him around every chance you get. Maybe even a little trash talking, too.

anlgp likes this.
  11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) defensive backfield is suddenly full of promise
    by game four it should all be coming together
    2) Jake Grove is the RealDeal, the Orca-5 will be listed amongst the top Offensive Lines in the NFL by the end of the season.

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I think we have to wait until we see how they (Smith and Davis) both do when the pads go on and the real hitting starts. I like both of them, and agree in 2010 Will Allen might have a tough battle for starting on this D. But it is way too premature for me to say that too.

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    agreed