1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple does like Microsoft's 'Laptop Hunters' ads

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by Muck, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    We've all seen those Laptop Hunters ads by Microsoft.

Apparently Apple is fine with going after Microsoft using generalizations and some half truths. But when Microsoft hits back, that's out of bounds?

This from Microsoft's COO at a recent conference.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/elop/07-15-09WPC2009.mspx

More likely, it's because the ads have been successful for Microsoft.

IMO, Mac should just stay the course. They're doing pretty well for themselves. Probably putting out an ad campaign to dispute would suffice.

Two Tacos likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    To me, it sounded like the phone call was a friendly warning. Like, "We haven't had a $1000 laptop in stores till now, so you better be careful, wink wink"

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    But why would they have their legal department make that kind of call? ;)

There's nothing friendly about it. Apple has gone after MS with those "I'm a Mac" commercials for years now. Their entire marketing campaign for Mac is essentially "We're better than Microsoft".

Microsoft won't stop until this campaign stops working.

4. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    True.

And by friendly, I meant ****-talking.

They are better. Its why Microsoft tried and failed with Vista.:shifty:

I hope they do keep it up. It'll push Apple to lower their prices on far superior machines.

5. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Linux is actually used for tons of database related things.

Nasa uses it as well as tons of other famous companies.

Also, I don't think Microsoft "trying" and "failing" with Vista (I've heard a lot of people say the updated version is much better) means Microsoft is a failure.

As for Microsoft vs. Apple Microsoft is right in hitting back. It's about time. There's only so much you're supposed to say about a company in commercials and I think apple has gone over that line time and time again.

Microsoft tries to give them a bit of their own medicine and Apple calls Microsoft and *****es? :lol:

Nothing beats Microsoft for game compatibility

Nothing beats Linux for price, security (mac might be right up there; but I've never used one on my own machine) and being able to customize your system from the ground up

and - though this is only hear-it-through-the-grapevine- nothing beats mac for recording and video editing.

So to me they've all got their charm. It all depends on what you're looking for in a machine.

6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    If that happens, we all win. Apple knew this was a great marketing campaign by MS, otherwise they wouldn't have called as Muck said.

In this economy, to run an ad that specifically targets price point and how yours is lower than your competitor is pretty damned genuis.

Personally, I've never liked Mac. It just always seemed very restrictive and the compatibilty issue was always a deal-breaker for me. I know they've made leaps and bounds in that area, but Im too far into the Dark Side now to ever go back (See what I did there? Yeah, you did)

USArmyFinFan and Fin D like this.