1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aponte to begin negotiating extension with Reshad Jones

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bjorn, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Bjorn

Bjorn Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Maine
    I think this is necessary if we may want to resign some of the guys on a one year deals later in the season.

Bpk likes this.
  2. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

It's a good thing for this to start, but I don't think RJ will think it in his best interest to start NOW...I think wait until the end of next season and bet on himself to have another good year...But if they can lock him up, I'm all for it now...

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the Dolphins generally use pretty good timing with this kind of stuff, it's possible to resign a player too soon, especially a guy without a long track record.

4. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

He held out a day of OTA's because there were no talks. That wouldn't make any sense.

5. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hopefully Randy Starks is deal is in tow after Jones'. Also, how many picks does Miami still have to sign? I know Dion Jordan, but I don't recall having seen anything on Dallas Thomas and Will Davis either.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    That was the speculation, but Jones said he missed the day for a personal issue and it had nothing to do with his contract.

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I may be way off on this...but those guys on 1 year deals can't be touched until some point in the off season. Some wacky first year rule about contracts (or maybe that only applies to multi year deals).

8. Larryfinfan

I wasn't implying anything about him holding out...what I was referring to is that IMHO, if I'm Reshad Jones, I don't want to talk extension now. I want to play this year out and hit FA running as a solid, up and coming S... I'll be able to get a lot more in a payday if I have teams haggling over my services, including the Fins...

9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    If I'm jones, and I want to be here in Miami, the system fits my skillset, then I would prefer the extension, getting a devastating injury is always in the back of the mind of players going into a season not locked up, it's why you can get a top player at a reasonable price, security means a lot.

ToddPhin, gafinfan and Larryfinfan like this.
  10. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    We get $$$ freed up after June 1st... and magically contract talks begin. For those that were worried or pissed that his contract hasn't happened yet... see how that works?

ToddPhin, Boik14, slickj101 and 2 others like this.
  11. Larryfinfan

I would normally agree with you, except in RJ's case, we're talking about a guy that has only had one good year of three. IF he bets on himself, and wins, he'll get a bigger payday next offseason, whether that be here or elsewhere...

It's a personal choice and I can understand both ways. Having the bird in the hand is usually better, especially for a young guy, but the point is that if negotiations don't come up with anything, it very well could be that RJ wants it that way and not that "Ireland blew his chance to re-sign the guy" that will inevitably come out, should things fall that way...

12. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    There better be some offset language in there.

13. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's an evaluation call, all GM here, if you've looked at the tape and you feel confident in your eyes that they tell you this is an ascending player, you offer the extension, if there are some reservations, you don't.

14. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I think you're confusing Jones with Wallace. Pretty sure Jones' agent said he reversed his decision.

15. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You said he might not think it's in his best interest to start now. I disagreed because he has already stated that he is disappointed in not having started months ago.

16. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Get it done Jones is a stud! KingMotion, I used to live across the street from the guy in the yellow spiderman costume haha.

17. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Aponte has drawn speculation as a candidate for first female GM at some point. ProFootballTalk did a speculative piece on it. Here was a revealing tidbit:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/14/aponte-could-be-on-track-to-become-nfls-first-female-g-m/

Fin D likes this.
  18. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    This is what I recall:

Jones, who had a breakout season in 2012, skipped Monday's session, possibly to send management a message. But Jones claims he was absent to address a "personal issue."

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...521_1_reshad-jones-joe-philbin-miami-dolphins

If there was a subsequent statement from his agent, I didn't hear of it.

19. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Wait, we need money for contract extensions? Novel concept! :lol:

20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I wouldn't mind if we had an offseason next year like Cincinnati had this year. Police up your own (no pun intended) and add role players where needed.

21. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah Jones was being a bit full of crap there to not make it an issue ;p

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So last year when Aponte was sticking to her guns on the Tannehill contract and the offset language stuff, Ireland had no power to overrule it, where does this strict line in the sand come from and who made Aponte the boss on something like that, did they agree before hand that all contracts would have this language no matter what, even if it meant having our Freakin Qb reenter the draft??

23. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    Not at all saying she isnt qualified to be a GM, but "negotiating" contracts is only one part of the equation. Its a very narrow focus. Being the General Manager is a much broader range of responsibilities (Scouting, evaluating scouts as well as players, College scouting, pro scouting, etc, etc.) She's great at her current job, to be sure.

24. Larryfinfan

Where was it said that Ireland had no power to overrule her ?? She reports to him, by all accounts. If she says no and he agrees it's because he agrees not because he can't overrule her... I think that is taken wrongly from the quote of PFT... There is nothing anywhere that any of us have seen that indicates that Apponte has carte blanche in negotiations...

25. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Larry, watch the repay of hard knocks, he literally says in his office how frustrated he is about it, and how bad he wants his qb to be in camp, totally giving the impression that he had no power to overrule the stipulation..he looked and acted, and talked like a helpless man..