1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aponte reportedly will be joining Phins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Jagfish, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
  2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I can;t say it feels like an upgrade when one of our execs voluntarily quits to go to another company, then essentially fires the person under him there and they come here to take his place.

Sounds like a downgrade to me.

resnor likes this.
  3. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Dawn Aponte was with the Jets front office when Parcells was there. They know each other, so I guess we could say it's just another Parcells crony coming aboard.:wink2:

Frumundah Finnatic and alen1 like this.
  4. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    According to the Plain Dealer, Aponte left on her own accord. Who knows if she was about to be demoted, fired, whatever. Weidmeier's hire would certainly suggest something was going to happen. But it says she left. She was with the Browns only 10 months.

Matt Thomas is the Dolphins capologist and contract negotiator among other things. He's been with the team 12 years. VP - General Counsel and Football Administration. Basically the same gig as Aponte had in Cleveland. Perhaps he's leaving? Who knows.

Between the Jets and Browns, Aponte worked for the NFL's Management Council. I found this quote from an old article.

Interesting note with the CBA about to expire. She was one of the people at the league office who made sure that all contracts and trades cut the mustard. The article referenced above talks about how that knowledge helped her stealthily consummate the Browns-Jets trade for the #5 pick last April.

She's a New York native and has been there most of her life. So a move to South Florida would be natural. ;)

OT: Peter King calls her "Capwoman". :lol:

Larryfinfan, dolfan7171, Bpk and 13 others like this.
  5. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    is this all parcells does? bring people over that he has worked with before? I guess its just me but i think this will only work for so long.

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    This is probably more of a Ross hire than a Parcells hire.

Califin likes this.
  7. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007

Could be,

Perhaps a case of Ross siding with a headstrong Parcells, butting heads with the long incumbent Weidmeier, who consequently opted for a change of scenery.
    As for Dawn Aponte, it could just be the specialized demands of the position simply warrant the services of those currently employed in them, as the most experienced and qualified to fulfill the convoluted Byzantine duties required them, or at least without the team having to endure a painful learning curve, of even the most promising prodigy.

Bpk and the 23rd like this.
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If Aponte is indeed an expert, then your explanation is likely. Toss in the fact that Ross is still a new owner who'll need good advice when it comes time to vote on a CBA, and Aponte's hire makes a lot of sense.

9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Seems like a good move to me, but what do I know?

10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    As long as Aponte doesn't touch my orange juice, we're cool.

11. F.O

F.O New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Well isn't this just typical for this organization.

As soon as there is no salary cap the Dolphins go out and hire a caphead.

the Miami F'in Dolphins never fail to amuse

12. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    While on the surface it does appear humorous, her position and experience in representing the 32 teams during negotiations with the NFLPA over the CBA, may prove invaluable in how we approach, and position ourselves for an uncapped year, particularly in our ability to react wisely, and assertively as the FA period ensues.
    My concern is that she remain outside the ire of Parcells dominion, and serve strictly in an advisory role when summoned.

Bpk likes this.
  13. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Yer damned right I want a capologist in there,even if there isnt a CBA next year,you bet your bottom dollar there will be one the year after,and it will have a salary cap.I did not exactly enjoy the years after Wanny of having to shed half the team because we overpaid faiding veterans,and would prefer to not repeat the process.
    Are some teams going to blow the wad next year thinking they can buy themselves a title run? Sure they are. And that worked out so well for us the last uncapped year there was,that we fired the winningest coach in NFL history right after that season.

Bpk and Marco like this.
  14. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    We already have a "caphead." His name is Matt Thomas.

This probably has mainly to do with the CBA negotiations and Ross wanting a reliable person to go through the ins and outs of any new labor agreement. Aponte is not needed for routine contract/cap analysis, because that's Matt Thomas' job.

Larryfinfan, Bpk and ssmiami like this.
  15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    excellent move
    Aponte will shore up the business end nicely

16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Welcome to maimi enjoy the sun.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    You never see a woman in this kind of field.

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    no body wants her to breed,
    they need her expertise which is an asexual commodity.
    she is the best @ what she does.

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

She certainly helps meet the needs of the present situation: figure out the possible strategies if there IS a new CBA AND if there is NOT a new CBA.

20. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Now we know

I noticed this article today. Not sure if it was posted previously, but we somehow missed this article on Jan 16. Apparently it's a 'trade'.

And then this morning, there's this.

Just worked out tidy for everybody. Weidmeier brings in his guy, and Parcells gets one of his (a 'her') in return.

Here's an interesting quote from the first article.

Probably undue heat here. If the head coach and/or GM wants to pay the man, he gets paid. If they don't, he doesn't. The capologist manages, negotiates and turns the specifics into generalities for the decision-makers. But they don't pull the trigger.

padre31 and Big E like this.