1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AP sources: Russian subs patrolling off East Coast

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by NaboCane, Aug 4, 2009.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_russi...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNhcHNvdXJjZXNydXM-

Seriously, what the **** is the Russian government thinking?!

2. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Someone is trailing both boats with a fire control solution as we speak. With our SOSUS network, we know where they are, no hiding from it. Our submarines operate on a war footing while at sea anyway so keeping an eye on these guys is just anothe day at the office.

gafinfan and dolphan117 like this.
  3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Good to know, Marty.

I do think that our capacity to neutralize those and any other subs the former USSR throws our way exceeds their ability to use them productively against us.

And I also believe that our capacity to launch a successful, 100% preemptive first strike against all Russian military targets is far greater than anyone outside the military thinks.

But my wonder comes in the "why" of this, and of Russia's Naval exercises with Venezuela in 2008.

It just seems that time doesn't pass for those idiots; they are as stupid and bellicose as Khrushchev was in provoking the Cuban Missile Crisis, knowing full well that he did not have the wherewithal to back the US down.

4. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Could it be an "in your face" kind of thing? Since they know that the US defenses are aware of their presence they're being there is like saying "I'm not afraid of you!"

On the other hand would having US subs patrolling near Kamchatka cause a stir? I think that most Americans would just shrug it off. In a way, it's like Russia is saying that they're just as entitled as anyone.

5. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    My brother in law told me about this awhile back, he's stationed at Kings Bay, GA. Of course his version had alot more details then this story. :D

gafinfan and cnc66 like this.
  6. dolphan117

dolphan117 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    I think that's exactly what it is. We know they are there, they know we know, and they are waiting to see what we are going to do about it.

Not trying to get this moved to the POFO but I would imagine part of this is a feeling out process of Obama. Poke him with a stick and see what he does.

There is no question that Marty is right, those subs have tails and I would be absolutely shocked if we don't have torpedoes in the tubes with firing solutions locked in..... But its unnerving to have them this close to our shores. Anyone know if the Russian boats have a nuclear missile capability?

7. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I think it would be pretty naive to think we don't do the same thing. :wink2:

8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Meh, with the decline and lack of technology the USSR has, they are probably just lost.

Being guys, they are too embareassed to ask directions

Miamian, Zach13, cnc66 and 3 others like this.
  9. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Of course we do. Our fast attack boats double as surveillance platforms during peacetime and follow other subs around every chance we get. We also have been know to lurk around Murmansk and sneak around all their naval exercises. It's a scary beatch to get caught in the middle of a live fire excercise.

They build a very good boat and are quick to install innovations into their boats, but our sonar capabilities, and the operational silence we can operate in give us the advantage. The bottom line in this business is the first guy to make a noise dies. Our missiles boats operate at less than ambient noise.. very stealthy.

Juan, I would suppose that their fast attacks carry the same loads we do and all American submarines have the capability to carry nuclear torpedoes, subrocks and cruise missiles. If these are missile boats out there our Navy has probably ratcheted things up and may have made their presence known. For instance constant harrasment from P-3 Orions forcing them to try and lose them.

If we have surface assets around, the helicopters and Tin Cans could also prosecute them. Because we have have SOSUS hydrophones all over the contenental shelf they really can't get away for long if at all... don't forget our subs would be out there lurking around too.

gafinfan likes this.