1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone here an electrician?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by brandon27, Jan 22, 2019.

1. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    So this weekend in the snow storm I had an electrical issue...

My snow blower is equipped with an electric starter so I can plug it in to start it, rather than pulling the cord. The back of the unit has the male end of a plug; I of course plug an extension cord into it, then into my wall in the garage. The snow blower itself has a standard 3 prong grounded outlet.

I started it this weekend, unplugged it and the damn ground pin snapped off the unit and was stuck in the extension cord. I've called the retailer... of course I'm 2 months out of warranty. To replace it, I'd need to buy a whole new starter unit, that's $375 plus labor... damn snow blower is only worth $900 :lol:

So my question is, can I just yank the ground pin from my extension cord and keep using it? I assume since the snow blower can often be wet the ground was there for a reason... It still starts just fine without it, but I assume I'm at risk there?

Secondly, if I bought a portable GFI... Plugged that into my electrical outlet in the garage, plugged my extension cord into it, then into the snow blower... does that reduce/eliminate the risk of the missing ground connection on the snow blower itself, because of the GFI connected at the wall?

KeyFin likes this.
  2. danmarino

danmarino Tua is H1M! Club Member

Sep 4, 2014
    There's a Pats fan here... @2socks ....he claims to be a master electrician....lol

Surfs Up 99 and KeyFin like this.
  3. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I actually saw that yesterday after posting this and PM'd him; and he was very helpful, so I believe that.

Surfs Up 99 and danmarino like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    What was the answer? Can you use it as-is or not? I know next to nothing about electricity and found it a really interesting question....I'd like to know.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  5. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Here's his response to me:

Surfs Up 99 and KeyFin like this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Makes total sense- just cut the cord and splice in a new one. Fast and easy fix!

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  7. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, but the way the starter of the unit is made, there unfortunately isn't a cord I can easily cut and replace like that. :(