1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone hear anything on Thomas

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mommabilly, Sep 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    as far as being claimed off of waivers ? He has less then 4 years acrued time so basically, he is on waivers until Sept. 28 th. Any team can put a claim in for him. Looking around the league, his name has not popped up yet. I guess if a G goes down in the first few weeks of the season he may get picked up.

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    He cleared waivers, so he is now an unrestricted free agent.

No one has picked him up to my knowledge.

3. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I bet he gets picked up by the Jets or Bills...

4. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Actually this waiver period does not end until Sept. 28 th. A team HAS to put a claim in for him, he is not free to sign anyplace he wants. He certainly can be shopped around but prior to signing, that team must put in a claim for him. That claim, is good until the end of the business day the claim was put in, UNLESS a team with a worse record in 2009 then puts a claim in. If that were to happen, he would have to go to the team with the worse record in 2009. After Sept. 28 it reverts back to this seasons win loss record but again, no, he is not a free agent by any means.

5. R&R_Express

R&R_Express New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    then how has nfl.com reported that pat white cleared waivers?

6. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Must just be a routine report. The players need more then 4 years acrued time in the NFL to become unrestricted free agents. Until that time, yeah, they can sign with any team that puts a claim in but if a team with a worse record then puts a claim in, the lower team gets the player.

Like last year with Incognito, the Dolphins put a claim in right after he was released. 15 minutes before the end of the business day, the Bills put a claim in. Going by their record at the time, the Bills got the player because they had a worse record. There is a website called the comish, will check on that and see if I am explaining it right or maybe I am taking it wrong. Give me a few OK ?

7. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    My bad, you are correct. The player stays on the waiver wire for 24 hrs. Where I got confused is if a player is cut now and until Sept. 28th, the team with the worst record from the 2009 season, that puts in a claim in the first 24 hrs, gets the player. After the 28th, the team with the worst record in the current season, 2010, would be awarded the player.

Sorry about that, I completely read it wrong. Maybe he has a better chance now because if he was claimed in the waiver period, the team that claimed him picks up the balance of his current contract, if there is a balance. I have no clue what Thomas had or had left, if anything, on his contract.