1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody use Whey Protein?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by finsincebirth, Jun 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I've started working out a lot to get myself back in to shape, and I was thinking of incorporating whey protein into my after workout routine. I was wondering if anybody has used this before, has any good or bad results. Or general knowledge. Thanks guys.

2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I have used it. I still use it like once a week. If youre gonna use whey you want whey protein isolate which is a more effective protein form. I'm having a brainfart right now, probably due drinking at a bbq all day lol, and so Im forgetting the exact difference. I can also tell you that the directions you get on the bag/bottle are for people who are weightlifters. If you are lifting 3-4x a week to stay in shape and not making weightlifting a career you dont need 60 or 80 grams of protein a day in that form. A good rule to follow is that you get one 1 gram of protein for every 3 lbs you weigh. Most of that should come from the food you eat. There are multiple reasons for that but the simplest way to explain it is that excess protein can store in your kidney's, harden and eventually become kidney stones. Never had it happen but I'd imagine its not fun. If youre taking Whey, take 1 scoop after you work out to speed muscle recovery which is really what its for. Or you can divide the scoop and take half an hour before a workout and half after which is what I do which helps you during the workout in terms of muscle stamina and after for recovery.

GISH, NaboCane and finsincebirth like this.
  3. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    ^^^^^
    Best advice.

This is the tastiest AFAIC:
    [​IMG]

finsincebirth likes this.
  4. JCowScot

JCowScot So funky the dead dance

Mar 22, 2008
    FLA USA
    I personally use this stuff:

http://www.maxperformance.com/mhp/myweb.php?hls=1099

Not only does it have all three types of protein (whey, soy and caesin), but it also has all 5 major amino acids, as well as other critical BCAA's for the most bio-efficient usage, recovery and anti-catabolic effects of any protein product on the market I've seen. It also tastes pretty good, which is a plus. (slightly malty flavor, like the inside of a Whopper candy :P ) You can use what you like best, but vanilla is going to mix well with most whatever you can throw at it.

As long as you are not over-doing your protein supplementation (I recommend anytime from immediately before up to two days afterwards; anything more I've found is superfluous unless you have giant 'roid muscles and require a large amount of protein to keep those ), you shouldn't have to worry about accumulation in the kidneys.

It also is by far the best breakfast (quick or otherwise) when used in a fruit smoothie. Fuel for HOURS, rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and with enough protein to ensure you never crash from that natural sugar wakeup. :up:

finsincebirth likes this.