1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody from the DC Metro area?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by 305, Jun 7, 2012.

1. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    We will be moving down that way this summer and we're interested in buying a house, but don't know that different areas that well. I'm originally from VA, but they area has changed so much since I was there last. What are some different areas around Springfield to look into for housing? In doing some research, I'm amazed at the bang for your buck in Fort Washington, MD but I have heard mixed reviews about the crime and schools in the area.

2. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Lots of great areas depending on how far you want or can commute, and where your work will be etc for route and traffic patterns.

Everything in the MD (270 Interstate corridor) from Montomery County (Bethesda, Potomac, up to Germantown) as far north as Frederick CO MD, and I know some folks even willing to do border of PA (Gettyburg area) or head out to the Panhandle of West Virigina (Jefferson County) to ease costs, taxes, and acquire more land/homesites but then get up early and take back roads down into the city center, etc (depending on business hours); even as you point out to the Southern MD (PG county) side which does have its issues but can be nice areas too.

Yes, No VA is still nice but it really all about traffic patterns. From Mixing Bowl Alexandria, Springfield area, down to Woodbridge/Dale City or even out to RT 66 toward Haymarket, and cut in the back way, etc.

You active duty at Ft. Belvoir or Pentagon? Or another camp?

I think where ever you will be stationed will have several assistance programs for area, commute times, and neighborhoods, etc.

305 likes this.
  3. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Thanks man... we're heading to Belvoir. So the commute wouldn't be bad at all. From what I've heard, the 495 bridge isn't bad coming over from MD.

4. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It's not, they have improved the whole "mixing bowl" area...but again, I think once you get down there, you even have south toward Richmond to give you options....sure you will find plenty to be excited over.

I know folks that live in the Dulles/Reston "RT267/Toll-Road" corridor and simply take the Fairfax County Parkway that dead ends right at the gates of Ft. Belvoir, very easy commute basically.

Really you have lots of options and neighborhoods all through the metro area and from MD/VA side (West Side of the Potomac) its easy to find routes to the Ft.

305 likes this.
  5. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    If there is any way you could live somewhere and never have to drive on 495 I would suggest doing that.

305 likes this.
  6. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'm trying to move back to DC... miss being in the DMV. Specifically the VA. Hope you find what you're looking for. I only lived in Hampton Roads and Arlington (Crystal City)- which probably isn't what you're looking for.

305 likes this.
  7. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Sounds like we'll either live in Woodbridge, Springfield, or Alexandria

BigDogsHunt likes this.
  8. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I live in Arligton. Great area :up:

dolfan32323 and 305 like this.
  9. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I've lived all over the greater D.C. Metropolitan area. Definitely prefer VA to MD, although the Annapolis area is nice.

Now I live in Kingstowne which is a stones throw from Springfield. Bought a townhouse here 6 years ago and love the area. Very little congestion and traffic. Also, we're getting a Wegmans in 2014! For those of you who don't know about Wegmans it's only the greatest grocery store chain of all time. I'd stay away from anything that will require you to commute down 95 south off of the beltway (from Sprinfield towards Woodbridge) or on 66. If you can avoid those, the traffic around here rarely is an issue, at least for me.

If money is no issue, or if you're renting instead of buying, agree with Stringer that Arlington is great. BTW, Stringer, never knew you were so close. We should meet up and argue about the Dolphins in person over some beer one of these Sundays! :up:

Edited to add: Just noticed you said interested in buying. Some very affordable housing in Kingstowne. For the location and distance to D.C. it's a real bargain right now. Oh, and I wouldn't want to live in Fort Washington, MD, but that's just me. I won't get into the crime or any of that, it's just all in all not a very nice neighborhood. That entire area is kinda run down. I work near there (Suitland) and it's just not the type of place you want to live despite the steals on real estate.

305 and Stringer Bell like this.
  10. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Like Monst said avoid Ft. Washington... you'll be glad you did. I really like Alexandria a lot. It's a great place to live and close to DC. Plus there is plenty in Alexandria itself and the metro runs there too. However I will defer to Monst on recommending places, I think he would know much better than me.

Stringer: I'm jealous of you. I took for granted how great it is to live in that area and didn't realize it until I moved back down to Ft. Lauderdale.

As for Wegman's being the best grocery store, I'll say it's my second favorite to Publix. That place kicks ***.

11. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Publix>>>>>anyone

dolfan32323 likes this.
  12. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I hear Fairfax is nice but not particularly affordable. There are plenty of good places to live in MD that are probably more affordable than north VA, I wouldn't dismiss the entire state because of one town... It all comes down to willingness to commute I guess. Everything is overpriced near the bases and installations around here.

13. Ronnie Bass

Ronnie Bass Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 19, 2007
    Except the one my Hollywood friends call the Scary Publix by the circle downtown, and it is! Freaky people in there.

I love DC, my mom grew up in Georgetown and Potomac and spent every summer in my childhood at my grandparents house off River and Permission Tree road, was a second home to me.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  14. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I didn't dismiss MD at all. I mentioned Annapolis was nice. Crofton which is closer to D.C. is also ok for families. There are other nice spots in MD too, but the commute starts to become a factor. I've lived in both MD and VA, and prefer Northern VA is all. All a matter of preference and depends on what a person is looking for. I prefer the more ethnic vibe to Northern VA. So many great spots for Mexican and Asian food, just to name a few. You get that in MD too, but not to the same extent, IMO. Northern VA is just the perfect melting pot. A great mix of all different types of people, some more prevalent in certain areas.

Missed this before my first reply in this thread. My advice would be Springfield or Alexandria over Woodbridge. Woodbridge is a fine place to live, but if you have to commute up and down that section of 95 any small amount of money you will save by choosing Woodbridge will be lost on your sanity!

Yeah, Alexandria is great and cheaper than Arlington for the most part. But it's a pretty big area and there are good spots and bad spots. Old Town is beautiful but parking sucks and it's expensive. Kingstowne which is the housing community I live it is technically part of Alexandria. Parts of the Del Ray area are real nice, but some parts are kinda grubby.

And to all those saying Publix is better than Wegmans, have you guys ever been in a Wegmans? I've never been in a Publix, so it's an honest question. What about Publix is better? I'd have to see it to believe it!

305 likes this.
  15. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    So we made an offer in Woodbridge and it got accepted... appreciate all the feedback fellas.

16. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Wegman's is fantastic. They are really, really nice. I just like the food and prices generally at Publix better. Can't go wrong with either one.

Congrats. Hope you like the area.

17. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's a nice place to live and you've got one of the aforementioned Wegmans right there. Hopefully you don't need to commute up and down 95 too much. If you do, you're in for some awful commutes, so invest in satellite radio, MP3s, music, all that! But like anything you'll get used to it. If you find a good place to watch the Dolphin games let me know! :up: