1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any of you hear this about Olivea?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Lee2000, May 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    I found this at wikipedia. Interesting.

Olivea was drafted by the Chargers (209th overall) in the last round of the 2004 NFL Draft.

Originally valued as a third rounder, Olivea strained his pectoral muscle lifting weights about a week before the draft and this scared away a lot of teams. One of which was the Miami Dolphins, who wanted to take Olivea in the first day, but called just before their 3rd round pick to tell Olivea that they took him off their draft board because they thought he would need surgery. A. J. Smith, excited at the fact Olivea was off many draft boards, took him with one of their final picks. Concerning Olivea's injury status, AJ said, “We checked him out, like a lot of clubs, but medical staffs vary. We rely heavily on our medical staff, and he checked out perfectly. We’re not going to take a chance if we think a player is damaged goods. We were doing other things (in earlier rounds), so selfishly we were kind of glad he took a ride (dropped in draft status) and he was still there. We kind of stole one in the seventh round

Interesting read; didn't know.

Lee2000

alen1 likes this.
  2. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Didn't know that, doesn't it remind you Phillip Merling situation. Maybe not in the seventh round, but he did drop.

3. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually it reminds me more of Rodrique Wright who was touted to be a first round pick but who was injured during his senior year and was finally drafted by us in the seventh round.

A real bargain because he is healthy now.

orangefinfan, azfinfanmang and alen1 like this.
  4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Exactly who I thought of earlier, Rodrique. Let's hope Rodrique works out better (Olivea got cut). THere was questioning of his motor and heart coming out of college too.

CrunchTime likes this.
  5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Actually it reminds me of the incompatence of the medical staff who also thought Culpeppers knee was less of a risk than Brees shoulder......

Has Parcells fired those morons yet?

6. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

May 13, 2008
    Clermont, FL
    I think they were hiding in Saban's suitcase

7. phinfanuk

phinfanuk Season Ticket Holder

Dec 19, 2007
    I think that Brees shoulder is still a big risk, he had an absolutely horrific injury which still may end his career prematurely. There is a reason the Saints signed him to the contract they did that season, it made it easy to offload him if something went wrong.

Yeh I wish we had taken Brees as do most Dolphin fans, but the Doctors made the same call as most of the doctors in the league would have.

8. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    That medical team gave the right medical advice. Even in hindsight, a complete torn labrum is more of a risk for a QB than a torn knee. You will not find a medical team before either recovers, that will say otherwise.

Huizenga stated they received independent opinions from different medical teams across the country, that gave them the exact same advice.

9. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    Isn't that the chick Stewie was dating? :lol:

10. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Exactly! I remember Wright being touted as anywhere from a late first rounder to an early third.

I realized the extent of his injury when he so far.

He was an absolute beast prior to the injury, if he could return to that form, could be a real gem indeed.

CrunchTime likes this.
  11. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

I would think it would be more complicated than that.....I would imagine its a case by case situation.