1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Chance we trade up for Gabbert?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by phins3454, Feb 2, 2011.

1. phins3454

phins3454 New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Does anybody know if our front office is "in love" with Blaine Gabbert or are willing to trade up to get him? Im really starting to hate our front office, I really dont think they have the balls to sacrifice a couple draft picks for a potential franchise quarterback, even if they are madly in love with Gabbert amd have him rated as their number one target, I still dont think they would trade up for him because Ireland and Sparano cherish draft picks too much (as well as everyone in this forum and on finheaven)

Well I have to say it, draft picks are ****ing overrated as hell! what have our 2nd rounders done for us? Chad Henne blows, Philip Merling doesnt play, Sean Smith drops picks like Ted Ginn drops receptions, Pat White was a joke, and Koa Misi was decent. John Beck sucked, so did Samson Satelite.

I know everyone is going to hate the idea of us of giving up another 2nd round pick (for some reason Fins fan think we strike gold in the 2nd round) but I mean the Jets moved up from 17th to 5th to draft Mark Sanchez and its been a great move on their part. We need to be aggresive and if Ireland and co. are sold on Gabbert then they need to man up and give up a little to get their QB.

Obviously I want them to be aggresive and draft Gabbert, not sure how yall feel about Gabbert but I think he's a franchise quarterback and we need to be more aggresive and stop trying to acquire more draft picks because we havent had much success in the draft after the 1st round.

2. finsbuck719

finsbuck719 New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Think about it this way...

Do you honestly think Gabbert is far and away the best QB of this draft? Did you even know who the guy was 2 months ago? The media is hyping this guy up like none other and I am not really sure why. 2 months ago, I saw this guy being projected 3rd-5th round and now I see a lot of mock drafts have him going in the top 5. There is something sketchy about a Big12 QB that only mustered 16 passing touchdowns all season, along with 7 INTs.

Do you realize that it will take more than a couple of picks to move up to the top 5? We don't have a 2nd and it will probably take our 1st this year, 1st next year, and possibly another decent pick. Something along those lines.

Would you rather give up that much to move up into the top 5 and take a QB with a ton of questions? Or would you rather trade down in the 1st, pick up more pick(s), and build around our current QB, who actually has experience with our system and with the players around him?

I can assure you, if we move up into the top 5 and draft a QB like Gabbert, it will reset this franchise by at least 2 years.

Not worth it at all, imo.

3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I have no idea what the FO thinks of Gabbert, but the only chance they have of trading up for him is if he drops. I expect that one QB will go in the top 5 so Newton would have to pass him up. Then Gabbert would have to fall to at least 8 or 9 and it would cost us at least our first this year and next year's first to get to that range.