1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthony Fasano goes for the $$$

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jan 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Anthony Fasano goes for the $$$

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...sweblog+(Miami+Dolphins+|+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs)

2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    anyone remember wondering who ronnie brown was talking about when he said they are worried about getting paid??

hmmm

anlgp and dolphan117 like this.
  3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you Fasano.

steveincolorado likes this.
  4. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  5. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    And not be used as a turnstyle by the Steeler's LBs. If he's gonna try to use his blocking as a crutch to get paid, then he failed miserably in the final game of the season

thejetssuck, jetssuck and finyank13 like this.
  6. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    good run blocker
    we need a RedZone Target
    what to do?

7. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I have never wanted a player on my team less. Ok, I have never wanted someone not named Ray Lucas on my team any less than Anthony Fasano.

Talk about being all for the money. This has to be who Ronnie and Ricky were talking about.

What FA TE's are out there this year?

jetssuck likes this.
  8. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    If this were January 8th 2009, I'd be a bit torn, and wish we weren't losing a great Tight End.

BUT! It's January 8th 2010. Fasano who?

eric and jetssuck like this.
  9. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    This really doesn't bother me, of course he wants to get paid... Who doesn't want to get paid. For the love of the game, blah blah... You may love your job, but that doesn't mean you won't want to get the most you can salary-wise.

I'd like to see him back next year because I don't like Haynos that much and Sperry is rather unknown. Of course, I'd love to see us upgrade the position with Gresham in the draft or Owen Daniels via free agency if possible... but it might not work like that.

felly smarts, alen1, MrClean and 2 others like this.
  10. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Well, I can see both sides of it in this case. If his heart isn;t here, then everyone is probably better off if he plays elsewhere. That said, it sounds like this isn't him just being greedy, but a large part of it is also his feeling of being used in ways that fryustrated him and, perhaps, under-appreciated and under-acknowledged for his contributions by the regime there. He wants to feel wanted. Not unusual.

These guys do have a right to manage their career. During the season he is a team player. He sacrficied all his personal stats and didn;t complain about it, or his role, or the coaching. Now that the season is over and he is going to be a Free Agent, it is his opportunity to put his needs first for once.

This is fair because the system is set up to work this way. Rookies don;t get a choice when they enter the league. And once players sign contracts they hav no choice or power until their contract ends. Only the two times, maybe three times when you have a contract end do you have any choice at all over your own playing career.

We forget to cut players slack for that because we have the luxury of quitting our jobs for a better offer by a better company at any time.

GIK, my worry about losing Fasano is, like you said, we then have to target a FA or draft a TE. Wealready have a long list of needs and I'd rather not need a TE as well. By the way, I don;t think Daniels blocks well enough for this regime's liking, though he is an amazing receiving TE.

11. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Pretty sure Scheffler is a RFA this year. And, he ain't too happy in Denver either.

12. krypto

krypto Banned

Sep 22, 2009
    I despise Fasano but what's wrong with wanting get get paid the most $$$ he can? No one finds it odd that when Brady called out some teammates(but no one in particular), people on this board were calling him a poor leader for doing that but it was truth was it not? Yet when Ronnie Brown calls out people on this team for being money hungry, its all good.

13. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    What the heck did he say that was so traumatic for all of you? Give me a ****ing break.

14. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Thank you!

He didn't say anything bad at all. I don't understand why you guys are bashing him so much over it. He said exactly what any other athlete in his position would say. You all need to calm down a little bit.

Disappointing season for Fasano, yes. However, I think he can rebound and have a pretty nice season next year. I'd like to resign him if the price is right. He's not great but we could do a lot worse.

15. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    To me, that's more on the coaching staff to ask your TE to take on some of the NFL's best pass rushing linebackers one-on-one.

If you ask Fasano to take on James Harrison, 2008 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, I'm fairly certain Harrison wins the lion's share of the time.

Clipse likes this.
  16. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Nothing that was traumatic, and I don't think anyone hates Fasano by any means. But if he thinks he deserves a pay upgrade after how he played this season he's sorely mistaken.

If he finds it elsewhere, and there's no CBA, great, I'll be happy for him and the obligatory draft picks we get :)

If he sticks around with the Dolphins it better not be for a pay upgrade (or at least not one past inflation), because he has proven nothing to me as a fan other than being wildly inconsistent from year to year.

17. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Sheesh. People have their panties in a bunch it seems. He wants to get payed, and he's going to. He was one of the best blocking TE's in the NFL this year. You can guarantee someone will find a use for that. Not to mention since he's a dolphin, he'll probably put up even better numbers than he did last year receiving wise, former dolphins always do.

18. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Hey,
    For the first time since.....forever, me and Mat agree.
    I didn't mean to be derogatory with my comment.
    I have warm good feelings for Faisano, and if he can land a big contract somewhere, all the power to him.
    If he is willing to come back and NOT demand a rediculous salary, just as good.
    If he IS demanding a rediculous salary, well then go back and read my first post.
    -
    As a #1 TE he is middle of the pack.
    If we could aquire a nice pass cstching TE, and keep him, that would also be very nice :yes:

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Pro Football Focus ranks him as the 5th best TE in the league for 2009. Most because of his run blocking, where he was graded 2nd behind Jason Witten. Parcells wants his TEs be able to block. I think we better hope we resign him.

20. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Funny in the Club thread where Ronnie said some guys are more interested in getting paid I said Fasano and Porter. Definitely seems like Fasano is in fact one of those guys more interested in the money.

21. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I have no problem with him wanting to get paid - but when earlier in the week Ricky and Ronnie say that guys lacked passion and were just looking to get paid I have to think this is what they meant.

I have no problem with guys wanting to get paid - but if it is negatively impacting the team I have a huge problem with it. On a personal level I see no issue - but as a fan of the team of course I do.

cdz12250 likes this.
  22. bluehaze

bluehaze New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    There's a big difference between "wanting to get paid" and "just showing up to get paid". There's nothing wrong with wanting to get paid as long as they deserve it but if they are just showing up to get paid then they need to pack thier bags and hit the road.

23. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    That's because we both spend too much time in the Ted Ginn threads. :lol:

azfinfanmang likes this.
  24. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    :lol:

I bet you were cheering your *** off though when he made the game winning catch in both of our final 2 games to win the division last year. He's definitely not terrible in the passing game by any means. Yes, he had an off year in that category but for some reason people think he sucks. He's a great blocker and average receiver, and if he doesn't demand a lot of money I can see him being here next season, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Stitches, MrClean and azfinfanmang like this.
  25. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Fasano came in like a lion last season and played like a lamb this season
    im not into paying this guy really
    if he wants to dictate his value in big dollars
    let him test it and move on
    if he gets no suitors and puts his tail between his legs
    id take him back
    in the event the cba doesnt get done and he is is restricted
    dont expect big offers for Anthony to come rolling in

jetssuck likes this.
  26. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    He's not much more of a threat than Joey Haynos........nor is he worth much more.

27. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Expendable. He might want to familiarize himself with that term before he starts asking for a ton of cash.

28. MrClean

Yeah, he was just the #2 run blocking TE in the league each of the past two seasons. TEs who can run block don't really help a team to run the ball better and anyone we pick up could run block as well as he can.:no:

The amount of nonsense posted in this thread about Fasano is puzzling to me.

Stitches and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  29. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    the guy is avg TE but he is the best TE we have. We are going to have to replace him if we let him walk.

30. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Fasano's struggles this year bring me back to our coaching. Ginn, Bess and Fasano all struggled with drops this year. Turner isn't even make it on the field. I realize this was an average (at best) set of skill players but it seemed all of our pass catchers regressed.

31. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    he's not worth a raise but is a keeper @ his price
    we literally have nothing better to replace him with @ this point in time
    I think he's had one decent season & one poor one (coming off of injury)
    this doesn't constitute in my book: making your bones

Why pay top money for the RealDeal when there isn't any?
    GoFish!:dolphin:
    & I mean that in every possible way :yes:

32. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    you only get so many chances to get paid in your career in the NFL ... so i hold nothing against him for wanting to cash in ..... i certainly don't think we will help him in that desire - and not sure Sperry or Nalbone won't be able to bring the same equity come next year. Fasano is merely average - so replacing him shouldn't be that difficult.

of course, we don't want the same level of production, we want improved production - and not sure Fasano can do that anyway.

33. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    need a RedZone Target big time

34. MrClean

Fasano may be an average receiving TE, but he is an elite run blocking TE. Doesn't that mean anything to you anti Fasano posters?

alen1 likes this.
  35. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I really think his blocking is extremely overrated on here. David Martin out blocked him last year, he has been dominated at times and it rarely gets mentioned. I think he is a above average run blocker and a below average pass blocker.

36. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    What the hell is that, bro? Haiku?

37. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    no cause that means he lacks in 1/2 of being a good TE (receiving) if we want another blocker.....lets just put an extra lineman there....

ill take witten (pass catching te) over fasano ("elite" run blocking TE) every single day of the week

edit- not hating on fasano.....i just think we can and hopefully WILL upgrade significantly this Offseason

38. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Yes it does but it also means he doesn't deserve the kind of money elite all around TEs or elite game changing pass catching get, if he's asking for that kind of cash he needs to leave. To me he's a great TE to keep around if we can't upgrade but if wants a big payday he's replacable and we should move on. A young Qb really needs a nice big target with good hands that a good TE provides, I'd like to see us get a TE that can get open downfield and change the way teams have to defend us.

39. MrClean

Sure we would all like an Antonio Gates or Dallas Clark, but we have much bigger priorities on which to spend free agent money, than at TE. We need ILBs, two of them if at all possible. We need a true free safety. We need a true go-to #1 WR. We could use some infusion of talented youth at OLB. I don't expect Fasano will attract top money in free agency. IMO the coaches want him back, and he will probably sign a reasonable deal on the eve of free agency, like some of ours did last year. IMO, our coaches place a lot more store in his run blocking than most fans, who want a flashy receiving TE, whom they don't care whether or not can block his way out of a wet paper bag.

Jason Witten btw is one of the very few TEs who is elite as for blocking as well as pass catching. Witten's unfortunately don't grow on trees.

40. PhiNomina

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    There is definitely a lot of value in a run-blocking TE - and we saw it work last year when he was paired with David Martin who could get open and use a little more speed.

But everything about Fasano's comments makes it sound like he wants a big contract.

Run blocking-TE's, while useful, don't have a big enough impact to warrant a large contract.