1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Ryan Tannehill Review

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Apr 6, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40266/60/draft-2012-the-quarterbacks

Probably one of the better reviews of him that I have read. He also reviews other QBs including Weeden, etc. Figured others would appreciate this :up:

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    IMO, Tannehill is the 2nd best QB in this draft. RGIII is definitely good, but not franchise label good.
    RGIII is short-term impact, Tannehill is long-term impact.

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Tannehill @ 8:dolphin: or 4 if neccssary

4. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Tannehill is a long term also ran QB. He did nothing in college to show differently, nothing. He was so good his HC, our OC , was fired before his contract was up.

5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I like Tannehill. My biggest issue is that if he isn't raw or doesn't need work, what accounts for his stats. Physically, the guy is gifted. I watched a bit of him last week and noticed great poise, a great release, and he progresses well through reads. Arm is well put together and he works well enough in the red zone. Not sure how to feel that I constantly noticed Swope in Ryan Tannehill's video package, though I doubt he'd be as much of a reason for success as Blackmon would be to Weeden. For the life of me I can't figure out why he didn't do better than he did last season.

Is it just the experience factor?

If Schottenheimer can be fired after a 14-2 season, Sherman can be fired for a 6-6 (regular season) season with a 4-6 division record. Or was Philip Rivers just bad that year too?

6. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Done by Josh Norris. Strongly endorse listening to things he has to say. Very smart.

Among the many things he's nailed, he did a nice video breakdown a year ago showing why exactly Cam Newton would be better than Blaine Gabbert.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    The stats? You mean his 62% passing with a 7.2 YPA, 33 total TDs and I believe 16 total turnovers? What accounts for those stats? I'd say talent accounts for those stats, wouldn't you?

8. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    We can all find excuses to make for anyone of your choice. Sherman did nothing at ATM, nada. He is gong to do nothing here with Tannehill, if chosen either. This is a sad joke if this kid is picked. Once he fails I am going to save your post and others and put it up as " An exercise in excuse futility " Like I said, 81% failed in my other post. Rivers was part of the 19% that made it which was 3 out of 27 QBs taken. Tannehills accomplshments in college cannot shine Rives shoes in that regard. Not even close. Like I said, he will fail.

9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I went back because I realized I didn't account for his rushing TD's so that made me feel a bit better. His numbers would be almost a 90 NFL passer rating which is hopeful, but a guy like Weeden had almost a 110. Idk, maybe I'm unfairly comparing a guy with 700 college passes to another guy with over 1,000 unfairly. I agree with you that he's talented. I pretty much say that in my above post. But, from watching him, I'd expect better numbers. Not that those aren't good, maybe I just expected too much. He definitely wasn't playing with OSU (OK) talent.

Could you stop trying to make 10 different points and misinterpreting what I say please?

10. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

That's just silly. Tannehill was the only QB Sherman had with a winning record during his tenure.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    I imagine a good reason why ATM canned Sherman also. Like I said, not impressed with this kid at all. If they pick him, hope I am wrong.

12. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    In short his WRs let him down big time. Here is another quote from the article listed above:
    I think someone else ran the numbers and found that Texas A&M WRs dropped the most balls or something like that. Another thing to keep in mind is that before switching back to QB Tannehill was their leading WR. So essentially when he became the QB, Texas A&M lost their best WR... It's not like he can throw the ball to himself while playing QB......... or can he? :shifty:

CaribPhin likes this.
  13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    yeah, Sherman isn't our head coach, just so you know.

14. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I listened to Pat Kirwan on NFL radio on the way to work. He was really emphasizing the same thing, how badly the receivers not only did on the drops, but caught very few of the "50/50" balls, i.e., no "great" catches.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  15. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Another thing that I saw when watching him on film was that he didn't have any WRs that actually separated from the CB. Jeff Fuller was supposed to be a big time WR coming out in the draft, but I swear every time I watched Tannehill the CB was on him like white on rice. This makes his throws even harder to make, especially since he wasn't in the spread system where he can choose where to throw the ball based on match ups before the play. He would have to drop back, scan the field, go through progressions find the WR (not to mention any possible PA where he takes his eyes off the field).

16. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

So you're telling us you are an "I TOLD YOU SO" poster. Whoopy!!!

17. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    :lol:

Ozzy likes this.
  18. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Could you break down in detail, what exactly you don't like about his game? I'm just curious, because you seem to be very down on the kid, yet I haven't heard you say why. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I'm waiting for the people that are so against taking him to give a detailed explanation of why.

19. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I second this.

And for the record, I was against us drafting the kid before I went and watched him play. There were a lot of factors that turned me off before I watched him including the good, yet not super impressive statistics, the fact that he was a former WR with very limited time at QB, etc, etc. Then I actually sat down and watched him and was very impressed. The more I watched of him the more I convinced myself he was worthy of a Top 10 pick. Tannehill's game can't be seen in his numbers but it can be seen while you watch him. He just has all the talent you look for in a QB and his problems seem easily correctable. He could be one of the next elite QBs.

sports24/7 likes this.
  20. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Right, and to that point, it would help if when breaking down what you don't like about him, if you could refrain from using regurgitated knocks brought up in the media, and actually point to circumstances in games where these criticisms show themselves.

21. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    I like what ive seen from highlights and what not. watched a couple full games with just his throws/runs. he def can rip the ball and he's athletic. i say go for it.

22. jazz

jazz Active Member

Mar 6, 2010
    i'm not advocating for or against drafting tannehill, but i will say that one thing he has going for him over all of these other quarterbacks is his intimate knowledge of the WR position.

23. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Which people don't usually use as a credit to him, but in actuality it's a pretty big positive IMO. It gives him a different perspective that helps him to understand where WRs want the ball and when they want it as well as seeing things that DBs like to do up close and personal to use against them.

While people use the 19 starts as a knock, people fail to mention playing close to 52 games in a pro offense that will look very similar to the one the Dolphins will run.

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Shula was pushed out while Marino was QB, I guess Dan sucked too.

Ohio Fanatic and dsteve like this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would add his ability to throw on the run as something he has over all these other quarterbacks.

Ozzy likes this.
  26. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    He may also have the best pocket awareness.

Ozzy likes this.
  27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Philbin and the FO have already shown that they aren't going to just "get a QB to get one" w/how they handled Flynn.

If they're sold on Tannehill and think he's worth the pick then I'm cool with it. I'm a lot more concerned w/them blowing the 2nd rounder, for obvious reasons :lol:

28. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Nice thread, some stubborn posts lacking backup or reasoning, but that's not uncommon in the "mains" as we call this in Club. Not saying anyone should not state an opposing viewpoint, just wishing it was backed up with some basis or facts that support the contrary position.

I firmly believe Sherman, Philbin and Ireland have the scouting abilities to make a smart decision with respect to Tannehill, or Weeden. And I'll tar & feather all three of them if we don't draft one of those two QB's.

sports24/7, mullingan and rafael like this.
  29. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    of course this was all QB related...:rolleyes:

30. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not a big fan of Tannehill and I just don't see him being a productive starter in the NFL. I would rather see the Dolphins use their pick in the first round to select a player who can come in and start from day one. While I am not that crazy about drafting a player who will be 29 years old as a rookie, I would prefer that the Dolphins draft Weeden in the second or third round and pass on Tannehill.

Of course if the Dolphins do select Tannehill in the first round, this will mean that Sherman and Philbin are convinced he will be the long term answer at the QB position for the Dolphins. That being the case, I certainly hope my assessment of Tannehill is completely wrong and he does become the franchise QB we have been hoping for since Marino retired. Philbin and Sherman will be putting their jobs on the line if they convince Ireland to draft Tannehill and he doesn't work out. So even if I personally don't think that highly of Tannehill as a future NFL QB, it isn't my job on the line. If Philbin and Sherman feel Tannehill is the long term answer at the QB position, I will support their decision, whether I agree with it or not.

31. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't know that they would have to "convince Ireland to draft Tannehill". There had been reports that the Dolphins really liked Tannehill going back to last season. Pretty much every "expert" agrees that Tannehill has shown elite skills. The debate amongst them is about whether or not he's worth a top 10 pick b/c he probably isnt ready to start right immediately. I would personally doubt anybody who claims that Tannehill hasn't shown anything since its pretty obvious that he has skills. I could understand wanting immediate impact, I just don't agree it's a good draft philosophy.

32. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    The 2nd round pick might appreciate it though :knucks:

slickj101 likes this.
  33. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Since you obviously feel Tannehill is a future elite QB, I can understand why you don't agree with me in regards to the Dolphins using their first round selection to select a player who can come in and start immediately. I am not someone who is on the Tannehill bandwagon and therefore I would not be upset in the least if the Browns select him with the fourth pick in the draft or the Dolphins choose to go in another direction if Tannehill is still on the board when they select.

If Sherman, Philbin, and Ireland are sold on Tannehill, I am fine with it because as I stated earlier, it is their jobs on the line, not mine. My view is that the only reason Tannehill is even considered a first round selection is because of the position he plays and the need of teams like the Dolphins to try and bring in a young QB to groom for the future. I see Tannehill as no more than a late second to third round talent based on his play in college, but he will probably be taken in the first round because he plays QB and that is the only reason.

A lot of the so called experts who rate him so highly also had Gabbert rated as the top QB in last years draft. After watching Gabbert play last season, it would not surprise me in the least if the Jaguars aren't already convinced that they made a major error in drafting him in the first round of the 2010 draft.

As I stated, if the Dolphins do draft Tannehill, I will be pulling for him to be the QB you and others on here believe he can be. Yet I will also not be surprised if he turns out to be the next Chad Henne for the Dolphins.

34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

This makes way more sense. When I watched him play, I expected huge numbers based on the talent I saw. This makes me much more confident in his ability to lead an offense.

35. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I love how you make this statement when it's pointed out right in the article why that team failed................it's horrible defense. Yes Ryan should be blamed for that defense :wink2:

36. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Also ran, really? Really? dont need to say anything else

37. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I thought Gabbert was worthy and guess what? Still do. I also knew that he needed development as he had things to work on. Jags were a wrose mess than us last year. Kinda like thyrowing Beck to the wolves in 07. He had no business playing then, he was at best a good qb that was expected to play and carry a bunch of street pickups. Same with Gabbert. MJD was their only real weapon. Now maybe Gabbert doesnt work out, but alot comes down to knowing teh qb you draft and no where he is at, when he is ready and where he needs development. If you feel that at * we cant wait on developing a qb, I dont agree but respect and understand that position. I want a franchise qb and I believe Tannehill has elite abilities, he needs to be coached on defensive schemes and coverages in teh NFL and as all qbs, the speed of teh game. But he has a pocket presence that we havent seen since Dan, good anticipation and accuracy, as well as an arm to put it where he wants it.

I have no problems with trading back if it accumulates picks and get Weeden. But prefer Tannehill.

38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    IMO the draft is not a quick fix. This is about more than Tannehill. Looking for a player to start immediately is a mistake. The focus of the draft should be on the best players three years from now. As for Gabbert, the concern with him was that he struggled with pressure. Most warned that he should not start immediately. IMO a ton of QBs have been ruined by that.

sports24/7 likes this.
  39. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I certainly respect your view of Gabbert and Tannehill. Obviously no one really knows at this time how effective Tannehill will be once he plays in the NFL. I have my opinion and you have yours, regarding his future in the NFL. Fortunately Tannehill is going to be drafted by a team in the NFL and we will all have the opportunity to see what type of QB he turns out to be. If it happens to be the Dolphins who draft him, I will be hoping that all the Tannehill supporters right now are correct about his future in the NFL and I am totally wrong in my assessment of him as a future NFL QB.

The last thing the Dolphins can afford right now is wasting a high first round draft selection on a QB who does not turn out to be their long term future starter. So if Tannehill is the Dolphins first round selection, I will be rooting for him and certainly not against him to be the success the Dolphins truly need at the most important position on an NFL team.

40. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'm not sure Tannehill will be around at 8 and Im sure we would get screwed in a trade to get the number 4 as Cleveland will probably take him, though they should go RB, but Holmgren loves QB's and i believe I heard him say he likes Tannehill as well..