1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angry Spiderman (Venom) Fans Rejoice!

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by slickj101, Apr 11, 2009.

1. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Bc a Venom spinoff is officially in the works!

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/writers-confirm-a-spider-.php

It's always smart to have writer/directors that actually like the character their working on too.

Now get rid of Forman and we're in business!

2k5 likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Forman was a good venom. Just in a bad movie.

Angry Spider-Man fans will not rejoice until the movie proves to be good.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Forman was/would be a terrible Venom in any movie, IMO.

You can't cast an actor who looks/acts like a direct opposite of the character they're playing and think it's going to turn out any way but horrible.

I wouldn't be suprised if Rami just said, "**** it, I hate Venom anyways so who cares who plays him."

4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If an actor "acts" completely opposite from what is intended then that is a bad job of the director.

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I know what you mean.

But, can you really make a guy like Forman "act" menacing? :no: At least not to the point where it's remotely close to being believable.

Bad casting.

6. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    if there are really "angry" Spiderman fans.....uhh....no offense intended but grow up:tongue2:

7. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm very angry, Al Bundy.

My maturity was directly stunted because of this unfortunate series of events. :tongue2:

8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He was a good Venom in that movie. He was a perfect choice for the vision of Venom Raimi had.

Raimi did not like the character Venom because the character is boring. Ever read the comic books? The character of Venom is not that much different than another character who is also bring and this one will never be the star of a movie, Rhino.

Plus the only way the Venom character was opposite in the movie in looks is because the Venom character in the comic books was a body builder. Being big in the comic books does little for the character of Venom. All it does it makes him look cooler. It wasn't the fact that Eddie Brock was strong that made Venom stronger. It was the fact that Eddie Brock was full of hatred so was able to meld with the suit better that made him stronger than Spider-Man.

The problem with Spider-Man 3 was the fact that Raimi made the stupid choice of making the evil Peter Parker an emo jerk who is good at dancing and playing the Piano. Plus adding in a back story to the Sandman while trying to develop the Venom character. He should of just used the Sandman as a thug and not touch the origin story of Spider-Man and developed Venom into being as cool as possible. A nice scene of going to far with the suit (I think a more human bad guy like the Vulcher or the Shocker) and then having to dump it would of been much better. Have that happen about half way through the movie and then have the fun psychological things that Venom did in the comic books.

Which Topher Grace would have been awesome at. He would be so good at the character of visiting aunt may in the hospital and all of the other things Eddie did to torture Peter Parker.

Also what Sam Raimi did was turn a guy who was a big thug version of Spider-Man and changed him into something that could be interesting. An anti-Spider-Man if you will. A guy who isn't responsible so when he gets great power he uses it for revenge. Instead of a thug who became an anti-hero because he started to feel bad about killing innocents. Even though he did still kill them.

FinSane and Stitches like this.
  9. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    bummer

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Maturity is over rated

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I think you have to keep Venom the same as the comic books if you're expecting it to translate on film, at all.

The fact that he wasn't a body builder wasn't the only diff. However, it plays an important part in the story bc Brock being huge, aggressive, basically an *******, was meant to be the direct opposite of what Parker was. I don't see anti-Spiderman as just another wimp.

So basically, we got 2 wimps in Spiderman 3 instead of 1 wimp, 1 macho badass.

And if we all agree that Brock being huge added to how the character looked, then why not add that element?

Forman was a bad choice bc:

1. He's tiny in stature. Smaller than Maguire even.

2. His voice is never going to be anything close to intimidating. He just sounds whiney all the time.

3. His only well-known role is on that 70s show (meaning most people wont be able to get around this. Where as a more well-establish actor wouldn't have been as type-cast)

12. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    How is Eddie Brock/Venom anything like Eric Forman as a character? If Topher Grace was being type-cast he never would have got the role.

13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    that was Spiderman 3 jumped the shark

14. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm saying that people (who watch the movie) are going to see him as Venom and immediately view him as Eric Forman playing Venom.

If a well-established actor with more versatility played Venom, you wouldn't get that immediate reaction.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol No question.

Then they had him jump it again as he strutted (a la Saturday Night Fever) down the street, just for good measure.

16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Venom in the comics does not translate into film. Comic books can be a fun read if they are really shallow. All Venom needs to be in a comic book is to look bad *** and have a decent story (unlike Maximum Carnage) and it is a fine comic book. Since it is a medium where you can get to beginning and end of a story in 15 minutes. Unless of course where they explain how Eddie Brock became Venom, which was a totally freaking boring read and so many jumps in conclusion. Movie and the cartoon did a better job of creating Venom.

He is the perfect anti-Spider-Man. A guy who grew up the same size as Peter Parker, got a bunch of power and then ran amok with it.

Another problem with huge guy is that you need a good huge actor. There are exactly zero who could pull off a Venom without looking much smaller when he is out of the suit.

Yes you have two wimps turned badasses instead of one whimp turned baddass and one boring character turned baddass who looks big.

#3 is silly. If that is the case then any actor who played anything could never be anything than his first role. Which is not the case.

To answer your question, because his size isn't as important. It is not like the Hulk or the Thing where size is everything.

Plus sometimes things change for the better with actors. As Hugh Jackman has proven with Wolverine. He is actually a good one, even thought he is too tall. Being short is actually a character trait of Wolverine that is kind of important to the character that has been developed in the comics.

If Spider-Man 3 was a good movie and was written better, especially the Venom parts, this conversation wouldn't be happening.

17. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    #3 is extremely relevent. What is Topher Grace known for? Eric Forman. Can anyone even name 1 other movie or role he's had? Has he ever been anything else than the skinny, nerdy kid with a smart mouth?

If Raimi wasn't such an immature dbag, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I always thought Johnny Mesner would of made the perfect Venom.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    What does that matter? If it was a well written movie, people wouldn't care.

How was Raimi and immature dbag? He was forced to include a character he didn't like and did the best he could with it. Of course the EMO spider-man stuff was stupid and should of went a different route.

Johnny Mesner is even a little small to be Venom and much too pretty to be Eddie Brock.

Looking at him though he looks like a perfect Kraven the Hunter.

19. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    In Good Company? Opposite Dennis Quaid IIRC.

He was also in two of the Ocean Movies (as himself).

And Traffic. :yes:

20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And so what kind of character was he in that movie? Whiney and pretty wimpy (yea I know, he punched 50yo Dennis Quaid in the face).

And he was himself soooo versatility/variety? No.

Traffic?

Ya I think I made my point about him always being the same person.

21. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I really believe that Rami tanked the character. I think he said "I hate this character so I really don't want to give him any screen time, good scenes, and I'll kill him off so the fans and studio will stop bugging me."

It really seemed like he tried to make every other villain better and accurate to the comics. Then there's Venom...

Mesner small? Maybe height wise, but he's jacked. The too pretty thing I could see, but they could of always made him look a little odd if they wanted too. I think his voice would of been dead on too.

22. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know I've only seen the Ocean Movies.

23. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He's wimpy, whiney and goofy in all the other ones listed. I've seen them all.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I thought he kind of looked like Kraven honestly. He is jacked in real life. Not really Venom Jacked. John Cena would be closer to a movie Venom. Actually John Cena would be the perfect Eddie Brock if they wanted him directly from the comic books. Even has Eddie Brock's square head.

25. DOLBET

DOLBET Active Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I dont understand why some people says that size doesn't matter for Venom.

A twig can be a good symbolism of Venom??? :pity: Venom must be big mofo because Spider-man is supposed to be very scared of Venom.

It all starts when Eddie Brock working as a reporter and he wrote a story about Sineater and when Spider-man caught Sineater and prove that Eddie's story was made up. Eddie was fired from his job so he hates Spider-man for destroying his life.

At that time Spider-man was wearing the black alien costume. Peter rejects the alien costume soon after the Sineater event. Alien was trying to take control and Peter will not allow that to happens so alien hate Peter too :lol:

When alien found Eddie, the alien realized that they both hate "Spider-man" and they both decided to work together.

Two frightening parts of the alien costume are:
    1. The costume and whatsever it is covering will not set off Spider-man's danger sense.
    2. The costume amplify the wearer's strength by 20 times I believe... Not sure of number.

So, the stronger the Eddie and the costume will make him even stronger. In fact, he is stronger than Spider-man and he don't set off his danger sense so Spider-man is deathly afraid of Venom because he can blindside and put out some serious harm. The movie didn't show this effectively.

Venom should be big mean mofo and that twig is not big and mean. I don't know who is right for that part but that sissified twig is not.

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Eddie is not stronger because he was bigger. He was stronger because he allowed the suit to have more control over him and feed of his intense anger.

Size does not matter. Look at the new Wolverine movie. If the movie is good does it matter that Sabertooth is not freakishly huge?

Plus it is a movie. You can have Venom be much stronger than Spider-Man with him being a small little girl.

27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    WWF actors...:pity:

But yea, he does kind of look like him.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I thought he was supposed to be stronger. That way it was Venom (strong, crazy, mofo) vs. Spiderman (smart, fast, agile good guy).

Btw, Jackman is huge as hell. Why they didn't make Sabertooth huge, who knows. But he's not a shrimp like Grace either.

29. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    He was in:

Tad Hamilton
    In Good Company

Well that's all I know of :yes:

30. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Brock[/ame]

Brock, if you read, while good at athletics was only ever huge after he lost his job in the paper.

He doesn't make Venom strong at all because of his size/strength but because of mostly cancer and his hatred for spider-man.

31. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Still, I think they could of made it better by not finding the most scrawny and whiney actor alive to play the role.