1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And so it begins: Henne

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Larry Little, Oct 20, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    How Long Until Henne?

It has officially started. The backup QB is being called for.

Personally, I think we're almost assuredly going to see Henne start sometime. Pennington's history suggests he's going to miss at least a game or two at some point. Until then, talk of starting Henne over Penny needs to go away, and I don't care how Flacco and Ryan perform.

Let Henne sit and learn. He can try and earn the starting position in training camp next year... hopefully, when we have better WRs for him to throw to.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    depends on how the next few weeks go. I can't wait to see Henne but it probably won't happen until later in the season when/if Penny gets injured and we're out of the playoff picture.

3. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Sorry Edgar but we should have learned our lesson on this one last year. Pennington plays until it's obvious TO THE PLAYERS that Henne is better suited for the role. There is no comparison here as Flacco and Ryan are their teams best quarterback.

MelbournePhin, calphin and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    This is part of the culture of losing, and not surprising. Pennington is has played well for us. Only one interception that really counted (the pick-six against Baltimore). The coaches understand and Hennie will not start unless Penny is hurt. And it wouldn't shock me to see Beck start before Henne.

5. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    I'm likely a top 5 Henne supporter around here. (maybe top 4, but whos counting, ok, i am :shifty:) But even I think it is absolutely MORONIC to think that Pennington should be benched. He is one of the solutions to the problem, HE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

If we draft anything other than a NT in the first round next year, color me surprised.

funkdat, Bpk, MelbournePhin and 7 others like this.
  6. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I'll put myself in that top list.

Keep Penny in as long as you can. I know they said if he's out they're playing their #2 and Henne is their #2.

7. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Penny has exceeded all expectations. He is a bright spot in this rebuilding process.

Heck, the dude's only 33 years old. I wouldn't be shocked if he is our QB for the next 3-4 years. Seriously. Why SHOULDN'T Penny be our QB for the next 3-4 years (other than he still smells like a jet!)?

I'm a Henne fan, but if it ain't broke....

funkdat and rafael like this.
  8. RalphX19X

RalphX19X >:)

Nov 23, 2007
    Miami
    No there yet. Soon but not right now. Even though Penningtons history tells us he's going to get hurt shortly.

9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I also say go with Pennington until he shows a change is needed such as injury and such.
    I know he gets rapped about the lack of long ball but our weak receiver core is not providing him with many options. Sad to say, but we have probably one of the worst receiving units in the NFL right now when you consider Pennington is one of the best completion QBs in the league. Its also sad that we have the ninth pick in the draft from the 2007 draft and his only apparent benefit to the team is as a return man and has not developed into the receiver Cameron promised he would, at least not so far.

10. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    because Chad Henne wont be a rookie for the next 3-4 years.

11. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    If he's on the team after his two year contract concludes, it will be as a backup. Pennington was nothing more than a stop gap measure just as his contract alludes. There is no mystery here. Parcells knew what Pennington was when he signed him.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    add me to that top 5 Henne supporter list. I think he's gonna be a good one.

13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    really. you would be surprised if we draft a OLB, ILB, WR or CB, S? I can see us drafting a NT but I can see us drafting the BPA at one of those 6 positions whoever it is. I would be surprised if we drafted a QB but just about any other position is up for grabs

Ludacris and BigDogsHunt like this.
  14. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I cant wait for Henne to get a shot. I like his attitude and think hes gonna be a great QB. Its apparent that Pennington cannot make the big time throws because of his arm strength.

That said...

I think we should keep him #7 on the bench a little longer, no reason to rush him in while Penny is still healthy and playing solid.

15. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i may not be a top 5 supporter but I think he's going to very good someday and i dont think it will take him forever to get a hang of the nfl

16. Dfan06

Dfan06 New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Miami, FL
    OUCH! I WOULD HATE THAT! Mr.Checkdown, that means we won't be able use Ginn properly and we would be screwed because his lack of arm strength means we can convert 3rd and longs.

17. dolphinsgirl

dolphinsgirl New Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Central PA
    Ditto. Pennington is not the problem. When you have no secondary, few WR's who can catch the ball and a lousy defense don't blame the QB! I want to see Henne get some playing time but not be the starter.

18. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Mr. Checkdown? That's Beck's name, not Pennington's. :lol:

I've gotta be one of the top 2 Henne supporters, since I'm one of his adopted fathers around these parts. That being said, it won't be his time until we are MATHEMATICALLY eliminated from the playoffs. Even then, if Pennington is still playing well he shouldn't lose his job. Make no mistake, rebuilding or not, the Dolphins are in the business of winning games now. That means they will play the QB who gives them the best shot to win. That's Pennington. I've said it before, anything we gain on offense with Henne's stronger arm would be wiped away by rookie mistakes.

19. orangefinfan

orangefinfan New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Couldn't have said it any better

20. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Do you give up on the rebuilding plan to win meaningless games? And IMO, the only way to get rid of the rookie mistakes is to let Henne make them, he won't be applying what he's learned while sitting on the bench.

If it gets to the point where we are out of the playoff picture, I think Henne should get a shot. Not only would he be getting the playing time needed to shake the rookie jitters, but he'll also expand our offense and Ginn would become a factor downfield. :wink2:

djphinfan and ATLFINFAN like this.
  21. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed. By putting Henne in, the offense would likely make more mistakes on a larger field.

22. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

I think they'll only put him in when we're out of the playoff picture for good and late into the season. That way the games won't mean anything at all but they'll give him playing time.

I think starting a rookie QB is dangerous business and should only be done in cases where it's necessary (like in ATL and BMORE). Vick is out and whomever the Ravens had at QB was injured and something happened to their backup so they had to throw Flacco in.

There's stuff to be learned on the bench, as well. Those things are all taught by Penny and how he manages the game.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    neither do I. His time at Michigan will be a major benefit to his growth as a NFL QB. Henne just has a certain aura that I haven't seen from any other Dolphins QB since Marino. And I can't wait for him to get playing time.

And that's nothing against Pennington, but I still believe his lack of arm strength is handicapping the offense a bit.

adamprez2003 and ATLFINFAN like this.
  24. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I like Henne, and I want to see him be a great NFL QB, especially for us. But, after pennington has one bad game? In which really was only bad because he missed Fasano on a TD pass, and threw an interception that was returned for a TD??? Come on... thats ridiculous.

I know Pennington is holding back our offense from taking shots downfield... but Im not sure its time for Henne yet. Im quite OK with him getting time to adjust and learn.

Do I think Henne will have a breakdown like Beck and fail? No. Not at all. I dont think its time yet though. If we have a downright dreadful offense, and our record is awful too towards the end of the year, I can see Henne getting the starts. Right now, in the next few weeks, I can't see it happening. Its too early... Then again Flacco is a rookie... so is Matt Ryan... both are starting, and having success... so hey, what do i know?

25. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think it is a little soon to be wanting to put Henne in. We still have a decent shot at making the playoffs if we can beat Buffalo and get on a roll. If we struggle for 3-4 weeks in a row then maybe you start playing Henne but I seriously doubt Henne can do anything that Pennington can't. Gotta be patient. We have only played 6 games.....not even at the halfway point yet. :up:

late again likes this.
  26. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    This is pretty much a continuation of the same debate that's been active since the start of the season.
    I think Pennington's performance to date has probably been on par with what the coaches and FO expected from the guy. Long on accuracy, but somewhat short on field stretching throws.
    Pennington's arm strength is maybe the least of our worries at this point. To me a bigger concern is the mediocrity of our OL's run blocking. Although it could be said that it was to be expected yesterday. The Ravens are ranked at the top against the run. So maybe it's on the coaches for not being able to come up with a way to overcome that particular strength. Anyway you look at it we couldn't run, which made us one dimensional. Once you make a team one dimensional - you've got them on the ropes. That's fundamental defense. Take away the run and pressure the passing game; now you've put yourself in position to win. The Ravens did just that.
    Add in the fact that we lost our NT(s) to injury and suspension. That meant no pressure up the middle with our defense. That gave their OL time enough for Flacco to find his guys, since our DBs are......suspect at best.
    Getting dominated at the line (both sides)
    No running game
    Mediocre WRs
    No 3/4 NT
    Weak DB play
    That's why we lost. Henne's 3-5 down field pass attempts would not have made the difference, IMO.
    One more thing that I believe.
    The team has been very, very vocal about their support of Pennington; what he brings and what he means to their success.
    If the coaches bench Pennington and start Henne, they're sending a dangerous message to the rest of the team, and it's going to be hard for them to believe the coaches want to win now.

27. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Putting Henne in this year will be one of the worst mistakes this franchise will make. We cannot do to henne this yeat what we did to beck last year. And with this porous group of WR's he wouldnt get any help at all.

28. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I have to disagree with the masses on this one. We are not good enough for a playoff run. Deal with it. We bear 2 teams that, at the time we played them, were living on reputation.
    NE has nothing this year without Brady, and the D is old. San Diego was not playing well yet. Lt and Their TE are hurt. We surprised them because they took us lightly. whatever excuse you would like to use. Houston was better than we were, not much, but better. Balt. beat us up,and they had the same record as we did. If we were going to make some noise this year, Balt was the game that would show it. Playoffs?? I am giving up on that notion as of now. I am ready to play for the future. Hennes time is soon. Maybe not this week, but soon. Maybe in the next 4 home games, but that is just a guess. I agree that Atl and Balt have different situations, but what their QBs are learning this year will help them out bigtime in the next few years. If you have the OLine to help the QB, go with it.

djphinfan and adamprez2003 like this.
  29. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    I dont understand how everyone cant see that the lack of a deep threat offense is killing our running game. They dont worry about our passing game. IT isnt going to hurt them bad enough to not play the run first.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  30. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    C'mon, brother, there is no such thing as a "meaningless game". I know some fans look at like, if we're out of the playoff hunt then wins are meaningless. But I don't understand why.
    Our one, single, solitary win last year may have meant nothing as far as playoffs, but it was anything but meaningless to me. And I can say with certainty it wasn't meaningless to the players.
    Every win has meaning.

31. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    I think thats a bad idea with our WR's.. Atlanta has good WR's, Flacco has no WR's and he sucked before this game where we made him look like a pro bowler. Although we have a good offensive line, minimal WR talent will not help Henne develope into a good QB.

32. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    In fact, I think Pennington, in spite of lack of "cannon" arm strength is maximizing our WRs abilities with his accuracy. I mean, Camarillo got 74 yds. Martin got 71 yds. Overall Pennington threw for 295 yds. 24/35 1/1. To me that says he's not the problem.

33. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    what would everyone think if henne got in there, got hit a few times, started getting rattled and started throwing picks.. Would start screaming for Pennington again? Pennington gives us the best chance to win.

late again likes this.
  34. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    The stats are misleading. Pennington had a bad game. We had ten drives. Pennington is mostly at fault for killing seven of them.

The pick six is obvious. Pennington also missed Fasano for an easy TD on our opening drive. He killed the second drive by throwing an incompletion. He was sacked to end the half. On the last three meaningful drives of the game Pennington threw the ball short of the first down marker. You can blame his receivers for not picking up more yards but Pennington has to share the blame for not throwing the ball farther.

Pennington had two good drives. The fourth drive in the first half that ended in a fieldgoal wasn't his fault that we didn't score a TD. And the TD pass to Bess in the second half was a nice play.

35. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's probably true. Pennington had a bad game against the Ravens but that doesn't mean he is a bad QB. Baltimore's defense rebounded against us after getting blown out by the Colts. Let's hope Pennington does the same against the Bills.

36. Phin-o-rama

Phin-o-rama Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2007
    we lost because of the defense...again

late again likes this.
  37. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't think you can blame it all on the defense. The offense definitely made their fair share of mistakes. Pennington missed Fasano for an easy TD. Camarillo dropped a TD. We came up short of the first down marker on our last three meaningful drives of the game. The Wildcat was ineffective.

We need to play better on both sides of the ball.

38. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    He still had a 92 QB rating. The defense just gave up WAY too much this game. We let a rookie QB tear us apart AND gave up about 140 on the ground.. Our defense gave up 4 passes for 93 yards to McGahee and Rice..

Phin-o-rama and late again like this.
  39. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    One game and its Henne? C'mon Edgar.

Pennington has played exceptional this year. Coming into the Baltimore game, we had only 20 total turnovers as a team which was the lowest in the league. Pennington has been efficient. As Gish said, he's not part of the problem.

I said Henne would be starting by week eight if Pennington struggled. Since Pennington has not struggled, I don't expect to see Henne in there. If he does get a shot, it'll be because of an injury as Larry Little said (I think he said it) or because its the end of the season and management wants to see what they have in him.

I like Henne an awful lot and think he's going to be a very good player in this league if he is spends a year on the bench to learn from Pennington. Henne has all the tools to be a good QB IMO. We saw him in pre-season take hits and still deliver the ball downfield to Ginn and Bess right between the numbers. He is comfortable in the pocket and isn't shocked by the big crowds because he played in big games at Michigan. He takes command of the huddle when in there and we saw that throughout pre-season as well as in the Arizona game. He slings the ball in there Favre-like IMO. I'm not comparing him to Favre by any means but I watched him and it reminds me of Favre throwing the ball at times.

Only one I would be shocked to be selected is a Defensive Back or a Wide Receiver. Parcells devalues Corners and please don't say Terrence Newman lol. He never wanted him either, he was after Kevin Williams which not surprisingly is a DL lol. He was actually talked into taking Newman after Jones took him out to dinner.

late again likes this.
  40. Phinz420

Phinz420 New Member

May 15, 2008
    Daytona Beach

It has already been pointed out by the coaches(saw it on Aquavision)that if Pennington goes down, the #2QB on the depth chart will replace him, and right now that is Chad Henne.