1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An opening at left defensive end (based on JT's presser)?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 20, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

To me, this is relevant, JT spoke for himself and Joey Porter about playing left defensive end in our new defensive system, yet they are our two best pass rushers, Langford could develop, but as a situational pass rusher I can't really see him remaining on the field.

So who will play LDE for us in passing downs?

I like Cameron Wake, but even at 267 pds he is smallish even though Merling packed on 30 pds last season, Dotson maybe? Randy Starks?

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/...dolphins-jason-taylor-s052009,0,6109653.story

m ino likes this.
  2. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    hmm. i would think randy starks since he can play both de and nose but i don't see him as a pass rusher or i could see them moving roth there in situations because jt,jp and roth on thefield as lb at the same time unless they line up jt as the middleman replacing crowder on situations. still a little early to give a positive answer to that as we don't know what some of these guys(wake,anderson..)are going to look like going into camps and pre-season games.

padre31 likes this.
  3. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    He's right, neither one is a defensive end in this system. The DE's need to be strong and occupy blockers while the pass rush comes from the LB's, Taylor and Porter would get pushed around at that spot.

I don't think it's anything more than that, to be honest. It sounds more like he was referencing how Porter was used under Cam.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Inference L2G, we know who "won't" be lining up at LDE, now who will be?

5. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Langford will IMO, I don't think there is anything to indicate that there is an opening in what Taylor said.

Taylor's last point of reference of playing with Porter was 07

So when asked about coexisting, he was just referencing what they were asked to do in that defense as opposed to what they'll be asked to do in this one. :wink2:

alen1 likes this.
  6. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Probalby Tony McDaniel.

padre31 likes this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thank you.

McDaniel showed flashes while at Jacksonville, he was just injured so often.

And to me, I don't know that he is quick enough to make a difference at LDE, but who knows what they are thinking?

8. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    He might see some time there as a backup, but I don't see him beating out Langford for the starting gig.

9. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Seems to me it's up for grabs for now. McDaniels, Wright, Merling, Starks, Dotson.....any and all have a chance to separate themselves from the rest and grab that starting spot.
    If I had to make a guess, I would guess McDaniels.

10. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I think that when we go to a 4 man line in obvious passing situations, I think JT could move to LDE. As for our base packages, Langford will maintain the LDE spot with Starks and Dotson backing him up I believe.

11. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    i was originally going to say mcdaniel as well but my knoweledge of him is very limitted and viewed him purely as a nt/dt due to his stature and lack of speed to be effective rushing as well. i'm really excited about this yrs defense as we have the ability to do alot of different things mainly pressure the qb from alot of different angles provided some of the guys we are counting on to step up do so. while we have alot of question marks, i feel the depth on d is a heck of alot better.

padre31 likes this.
  12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I think so as well, to me i'm a bit dubious about McD playing LDE for a ton of passing down snaps, looking from the outside in it would seem we have a spot for a player to win in Training Camp.

m ino likes this.