1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An observation about yesterday's press conference

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Anyone else find it odd that we didn't have a jersey to hold up when we announced the signing of Jake Long yesterday? It is somewhat of a normal activity during the press conference of a draftee. Does that mean that a new uniform is on the way or something else?

2. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    There are some rumors floating about that KC will make a move to get Long from Miami. Anything is possible I suppose. However it would seem dishonest with Long being paraded as a Dolphin to have him traded a couple of days later.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The jersey giving will be presented on draft day I believe. I dont think they give the jersey this early.

As for the new unis, we were told that we would have new unis designed by the same guy who did Chargers unis. Aren't they suppose to be presented on draft day of this year? I remember seeing someone post that on the other site.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol: how messed up would that be.

5. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Maybe that was one of the reasons we signed Jake Long so early. If you look back on people who signed with the team picking #1 it was done like the day before the draft. After trading Jared Allen the Chiefs will have plenty of picks to trade up with us.

I would not be opposed to trading Jake Long, but I think that would be somewhat "slimy". I mean we already had a press confrence where the GM and coach said he was the guy we wanted from the beginning. So basically if we where going to trade him I do not think we would have had a press conference, but who nows?

6. ryoung8918

ryoung8918 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    OC, Calif
    Short of giving us their two first round picks, I don't see this happening. If you're KC, you have to like your position right now. Two firsts, and plenty of picks in the top 100. I just don't see them giving up what it would take to get Long from Miami.

7. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    I'm like you, I thought they gave it on the day they signed. I wondered about it to.

8. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I thought it was odd maybe, but they have to save some of the excitement for draft day itself!!

The cheifs situation is interesting though. But I think theyre okay where they are with the extra picks now. I dont see them making a move with us for Jake

9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    They have to many holes to blow two firsts on Jake imo. They need a LT desperately, but they also now need a DE, a DT, RT, G, QB etc etc.

As for the jersey, it will be done at the draft, then again I would think after the draft when he is officially a Phin (drafted). Possibly with new unis as has been said.

10. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

That's what I love about this site, absolutely NOTHING escapes our scrutiny!

11. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Usually they sign after the draft though. I dont' remember too much about the ones that did sign before the draft, I do remember Mario Williams though, and there was no PC, since it was the eve of the draft, that I can remember. Just them interviewing him in a parking lot somewhere.

Plus, isn't that NFL's gig? The NFL is so worried about image and presentation and money, can you imagine the big banhammer they'd drop on the dolphins if they stole some of the NFL's thunder?

12. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Oh I think the Phins have a right to pump their guy as much as possible, a press conference to announce the signing, understood... a hat on the signee, understood... the absence of a jersey being held up for a perfect photo up in front of all that media, weird.... maybe if Huizenga was still "running the show" instead of BP, things would have been different.... although I'm sure Wayne is ecstatic about getting Jake signed PRIOR to the draft.

13. mf52dolphin

mf52dolphin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 5, 2007
    A possible reason for this could be that Long might have to do some negotiating with Drew Mormino to get the #77 jersey, that Long wore during his Michigan carrer. Mormino, who wore #77 in camp last year, wore #78 at Central Michigan.
    Now there is precedence for the top pick paying off the current holder of his preferred #. Back in 2004 punter Jeff Feagles was wearing the #10 Giants jersey. Top Pick Eli Manning paid off Feagles to change to #17, by buying him a remodeled kitchen.:wink2:

14. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    On draft day, the jersey the drafted player holds up has a 1 on it; referring to him being drafted #1. I believe that's what they're wondering about.
    I can't say for sure but I always thought that the league itself (as opposed to the individual teams) generated those draft day jerseys

15. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    No way. It would be classless move by Miami.

16. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    They didn't present a jersey because he hasn't been drafted yet and isn't part of the Phins.

It's that simple, nothing more nothing less.

He'll have a jersey draft day.

There's nothing here hinting at new jerseys, colors, logo, a move of the Phins to Los Angeles, martians coming to abduct our cheerleaders or anything else.

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    hmmm kinky... :wink2:

But if he hasn't been drafted yet, why does he get to wear the hat?

BTW, Jake is already on our official roster... http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/team/roster/roster.asp

gotta admit, getting him signed this early is a major coup for this new front office. :up:

Striking and Coral Reefer like this.
  18. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Got a video of that interview handy for a poor European soul who has to rely on internet coverage?

19. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I've got it DVR'd, I'll have to go back and watch it, the first time it didn't catch my eye... although, maybe he was putting his "game face" on, and was getting angry because he was talking football.... I can spin anything...

20. larfo2224

larfo2224 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    I dont think the chiefs are going to trade up at all. Like us, they are rebuilding and need all the draft picks they can get.

21. Flipper24

Flipper24 New Member

Apr 21, 2008
    We have to have something to see Draft day. NFL PR guys want the picture too.